NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 37 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 37 of 47)

Nov 032009

G6

Steering on 2006 Pontiac G6 GT. There has to be something done. If you google steering problems on this vehicle you will see. I have replaced my rack three (3) times in this car. It has 61,000 miles. I just replaced my half shaft and this morning coming to work the rack again failed, my steering locked and I caused an accident. I was not involved but something has to be done and have GM held accountable to recall this car and do something with the steering. Peoples lives are in danger and nothing is being done.

- Jacksonville , FL, USA

Nov 022009

G6

My car steering is stalled all of a sudden while I was taking an exit from the freeway. It has become very hard to pull over the car to a side. I would have run into another car if the other car did not stop and honk at me. Today I would have been dead if the same thing happened on a freeway. There is a major safety issue in this Pontiac G6 car. When taken to the repair shop they were not able to find any issue. Finally after couple interactions with the repair shop, they found a problem with steering shaft. Later, I got to know that this problem is been there for a while and GM has not ordered a recall and fixed the issue. I do not mind spending money and fixing it, but the problem is, that there is no fix and even after changing the shaft. There is no guarantee the problem will not repeat. GM has to do a recall and fix the issue at the bottom.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Sep 012009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving 30 mph the power steering warning light would illuminate on the instrument control panel. And then turn back off. When this failure occurs there was a lost of power steering. The vehicle has not been taken to the dealer, nor has the manufacturer been notified. The current mileage was 46,000. The failure mileage was 42,000.

- International Falls, MN, USA

Oct 282009

G6

I own and am the original owner of a 2006 Pontiac G6 gtp. At 49,500 miles a severe shimmy developed and steering became unresponsive. Taking it to the dealership they informed me that my tie rods and steering linkage need to be replaced. Had this problem not been addressed I would have lost the ability to steer the vehicle. A car with so few a miles should not have developed such a problem.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Oct 162009

G6

I, too have had problems with the power steering on my Pontiac G6 2006 model. The steering wheel locked up while I was trying to park. I turned the car off and turned it back on. Before the wheel locked up, I heard the "ding" noise and then "power steering" came up on the radio display. This happened before on my way to work, so I took car to dealership and was told to bring car in when the problem happens, which is impossible because I never knew when it was going to happen. He also told me that there was no power steering reservoir, they would have to put the car on a machine. This vehicle does need to be recalled. I pray to god that no one loses their life because of an auto manufacturer's neglect.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Oct 212009

G6

This morning I went to make a left turn in my 2006 Pontiac G6 and my power steering failed. Power steering came across the radio after a "ding" sound. I was almost in an accident as I was hardly able to complete the turn. After I was able to pull off the road I restarted my vehicle and the problem stopped. I immediately went to the GM dealership that sold me my vehicle. My vehicle is out of warranty and there has not been a recall although I've read this is a problem with almost 200,000 2006 and 2005 Pontiac G6 models. Dealership said it would cost $750 to fix. Im scared to drive my car and once I get the problem fixed this could happen again!!!!

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Sep 282009

G6 6-cyl

2006 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6 I too had this problem with the clunking noise when turning, I understand it has electric servos, instead of hydraulic steering pump. The next years they went back to hydraulic, proving there was something wrong with the electric steering, therefore 06 models should be recalled.

- Toronto Canada, 00, USA

Oct 152009

G6

I bought this car when it was 2 years old and it was fine till about 6 months ago not the power steering assist has completely quit. There are over 400 complaints on ntsb website, please explain to me why I have to pay $800 to the dealer to get this fixed. There should be a recall today!

- Enterprise, AL, USA

Oct 132009

G6

Like many others, the electric power steering in my 2006 Pontiac G6 is bad. I know there was an "investigation", but there was no recall. This is a serious problem & someone is going to get killed if they haven't already. Recall the car & fix the problem, please. I am thankful I haven't had a wreck, but I certainly do not have the $750 for repairs. I've read hundreds of complaints about this problem, but GM seems oblivious or uncaring. I was a die-hard GM customer, but will never purchase another GM vehicle again. To keep a customer, you have to treat them right and the lack of what GM is doing about this vehicle is wrong. There have been many accidents reported, but what does it take? I suppose when someone gets killed & GM gets sued they will reconsider fixing this problem.

- High Point, NC, USA

Sep 142009

G6

Clunking sound again when turning steering wheel right or left, previous repair by dealer under warranty ( replacement of electronic steering box) for same problem sound fixed issue only to have it return now one year later! understand steering problems are an issue with this model!!

- Poway, CA, USA

Oct 052009

G6

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 and maybe 3-5 days ago my power steering light came on and I assumed I needed to add fluid. Well, come to find out that my steering pump is electric; so there was no way for me to add fluid. I called the dealership and they informed me to bring it in and they would have to diagnose it. Well, that was done and come to find out they stated they couldn't find the problem. Well, I kept searching and after a few searches on the internet...I see I'm not the only one with the problem. Now, my car haven't froze up on me yet...but it have been pulling like I'm on flat. I did not purchase the extended warranty; and as of now I do not have the money to get it fixed. I have to drive back and forth to work. If I'd new this about this Pontiac I would have never purchased this car. I see why GMC is going bankrupt. There not honest to the customers; so why should we keep buying these faulty cars.

- Galveston, TX, USA

Oct 062009

G6

Power steering went out on my car while I was driving. At first I thought my tires were low, the steering wheel kept jerking a little. My tires were fine and the problem stopped. The next day it started again but this time the power steering light came on. It was very difficult to steer my car, good thing I was still in my garage when it happened.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Sep 192009

G6

Random (every several hours) loss of power steering assist.

- Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

Jan 012008

G6

The powersteering on my 2006 Pontiac G6 skips when I turn sometimes. It makes a vibrating noise and feel when turning to the left quickly. I have lost control at times. There doesn't seem to be a powersteering fluid reservoir to check fluid levels or any other obvious external issues to the steering mechanics.

- Rancho Cordova, CA, USA

Sep 252009

G6

1. no events leading up to the failure of the component. Just regular normal driving day to day commuting. 2. shaky vibrations coming from steering column. Electronic assisted steering. Steering wheel pulls to the left by its self unassisted. Talked to mechanics and no one can find out why its doing it. Or even how on earth they can fix it without anything else being wrong. So the problem is still present with no fix in sight? 3. no parts have been replaced just talked with the dealership and mechanics staying in touch hoping that nothing worse happens.

- Willmar, MN, USA

Sep 242009

G6

I was driving down the road in my 2006 Pontiac G6 when all of a sudden the steering went straight and I was unable to turn the wheel. I drifted to the side of the road and looked outside the vehicle as it almost felt like something was prohibiting the wheels from moving. I returned to the car's cabin and restarted the vehicle and everything was fine. This happened again two days later while driving yet again. This is very dangerous and I took it to the dealer right away. They told me it was a steering column failure on a faulty sensor and that I have to replace the entire steering column. I have been looking on the internet and this is not an isolated incident. People are going to die if this is not handled.

- Denver, CO, USA

Sep 162009

G6

For approximately six months the brake lamps have been staying on at times even when the brake pedal is not depressed. The brake lights would go off and on without depressing the brake pedal. Beginning on September 12, 2009 the brake lights stayed al the time. On September 18, 2009 took the vehicle to the GM dealer to correct the problem and the brake pedal position sensor was replaced. Problem was corrected for two days only. Presently the brake lights remain illuminated as soon as the car is started and remains on. Called Pontiac and was told my VIN was not covered by the recall. Also had problems with the loss of power in the electric power steering. This began just after having the vehicle for 7 months. The power steering would loss power randomly. Approximately two or three times a week the power steering would go out. By restarting the engine, the power to the steering would almost always return. A few times the engine had to be restarted several times.

- Ligonier, PA, USA

Sep 152009

G6

The intermediate steering shaft of my car has gone out twice. The first time was October 2007 and then again in September 2009. The car was taken to the dealer to replace the part.

- Hope Mills, NC, USA

Feb 152009

G6

Clunking sound when accelerating and turning steering wheel. This is the steering shaft that is bad. This was replaced about Oct 2007 and then it went bad again and was replaced in about Dec 2007 and now it is bad again and the Pontiac dealer said they would not replace it again under warranty as the car has about 66000 miles on it. I told them that their is a defect in this part but they did not want to hear it.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Sep 182009

G6

Upon making a left turn at about 5 mph, the power steering light on my car illuminated and I had to use both hands to maintain control of the car. The steering wheel is very tight and difficult to turn, as well as very shaky at higher speeds.

- Elk Grove Village, IL, USA