NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 40 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 40 of 47)

Jan 012007

G6

There is a clunking noise whenever turning to the left. Apparently a lot of G6 owners are experiencing this problem.

- Louisburg, KS, USA

Jun 102009

G6

This complaint is in regards to my 2006 Pontiac G6 sedan. Over the past year and a half, I have had intermittent issues with the power steering on this vehicle. The problem was first noticed in early 2008 (~February) when I attempted to park my car. When turning into the parking place, power steering went out. I turned off the vehicle, restarted it, and the problem was corrected. On my way home from that errand, the power steering again went out. I again restarted the vehicle and everything worked fine. Since that time, I have had similar incidents happen 10-12 times, but the problem was resolved each time when the vehicle restarted. In each instance I was in a parking lot or traveling at a low speed, making my solution plausible. Over the past week, however, the problem has worsened considerably. Whenever turning hard in either direction (particularly when going downhill) I lose power steering. It is an absolute fight to keep the vehicle on the road. Additionally, this is accompanied by a very loud whirring/whining/clunking sound that continues until the car comes to a stop. I will be visiting a dealer tomorrow for repairs, but have noticed how many other people have this problem with 2006 Pontiac G6 vehicles (search google!). I wanted to document this, and request your help in correcting this very bad safety issue before too many people are injured as a result.

- Maineville, OH, USA

May 222009

G6

2006 Pontiac G6 - power steering locks up also, turning makes a terrible noise occurs periodically.........have to stop car (which can be difficult with no steering), turn if off, and restart it.........then steering works again for awhile very dangerous. Have had several close calls..........being rear-ended and causing pile-ups!

- Vincennes, IN, USA

Jun 032009

G6

My 2006 Pontiac G-6 GT has had a power steering failure six(6) times after reaching 36,000 driven miles. The powering goes out and the dashboard sends an electronic "powering steering failure". the car reverts to manual regular steering mode which is very difficult to control, creating a very unsafe condition while driving.

- Flowery Branch , GA, USA

Jun 082006

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact noticed that the power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. Shortly after, the steering column locked. The contact had to restart the vehicle in order for it to work properly. An authorized technician stated that the power steering was the cause of the failure. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000 and current mileage was 93,000.

- Pascagoula, MS, USA

Jun 012009

G6

When I turn my wheel to the right then crank it back to the left I hear a "popping" or "knocking" noise. I have not noticed any decrease in my ability to control the car as of yet. I just bought the car as a "certified-used" car so it went through GM's 117-pt inspection. I ran a carfax history report and it was a single owner (lease) and was not involved in any accidents. A lot of other G6S have had similar problems from what I have read.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 012009

G6

When making turns from a stop you can hear a clunking noise in the steering. Also, the car has a floating feeling to the steering, as if it isn't in control.

- Guyton, GA, USA

May 222009

G6

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 with 48,000. The power steering goes out while driving. They had to replace my steering column at price of $662 I understand that this is happening to a lot of the 2006 Pontiac. This could be very dangerous and Pontiac will not recall the vehicles.

- Keokuk, IA, USA

Jun 032009

G6

Power steering locked up.

- Nashua, NH, USA

Dec 172008

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. When accelerating from a stop, the contact heard clunking noises coming from the steering. The vehicle has not been diagnosed and the noises have gotten worse. Through research, the contact discovered that the vehicle had recurring steering issues. The lack of grease in the steering column caused the noises and the vehicle would have to have it greased every so often. The contact will repair and grease the vehicle himself. The failure mileage was 36,000 and current mileage was 38,000.

- Easton, PA, USA

Jun 022009

G6

During the normal course of driving on a surface street at 45mph my electronic power steering failed on my 2006 Pontiac G6 3.5 liter coupe. This almost caused a life threatening accident and danger to other motorist. I am having it towed to dealer. After this arrogance I have noticed a great number of similar complaints on line some with very different outcomes. Will this be investigated" what course of action is appropriate"

- Clarkston, MI, USA

Feb 012009

G6

My car has serious problems with it's power steering. I noticed that when I would take a turn my steering wheel would lock up and my car felt like it wanted to stall on me. I would have to stop the car, shut it off and then turn it back on in order to get the steering wheel to work again. This would happen at least 2 times a week. I brought my car to a few places and nobody could detect the problem. Finally I had the power steering rack replaced because I was told that seemed to be the problem and for a few months it worked fine until the other day, the steering started to act up again. I could tell recently my steering wheel was pulling left to right when I would be driving, it would shake a lot so and then as I was turning into my driveway the steering wheel locked up on me again and my car started to stall. I've done a little research on line and current owners of this vehicle seem to be having the same problem and too have stated that nobody can seem to detect or fix the problem. Not only am I in the vehicle but I have a 2 year old child that has to travel with me in this vehicle and it is becoming more and more unsafe.

- Ansonia, CT, USA

Jan 012007

G6

2006 Pontiac G6 - steering column noise & "thump" -- feels like steering wheel is going to stick + you can feel it in the brakes. Before warranty was up, they replaced the steering shaft. Problem went away temporarily. Just as my warranty was up, it happened again. I had to fight for them to replace it again. Another dealer was willing, and replaced the steering shaft again. It only took one month before the problem occurred again. Now I just live with it. I would swear my car steering is eventually going to lock or break and kill someone, but Pontiac swears it's totally fine. You want an incident date, but I can't give you a specific date because there are too many. This is constant. I am not the only one. They recalled this issue on the GM line of trucks as a safety problem, but not on the cars. Now I think I've read that there might finally be a proper replacement part, but I don't feel like it is my responsibility to pay for it. GM should recall this problem. It's ridiculous to have a popping, sticking, clunking sound & feeling every time you turn your steering wheel right or left.

- Perris, CA, USA

Jan 142008

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. When the contact turned the steering wheel, he heard a loud clunking noise. The noise is only heard when the steering wheel is turned. The vehicle has been taken to the dealer approximately three times and they stated that they could not hear anything. The vehicle was inspected and the dealer heard the noise and claimed to have repaired the gear assembly power steering. When the contact retrieved the vehicle, the noise was worse than before the repair. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and they repaired the steering shaft. The vehicle operated normally, but the noise recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer a third time and they replaced the intermediate steering. The noise returned one year later. The vehicle will be taken back to the dealer on May 30, 2009 for a diagnosis. All of the repairs were performed under warranty, but the fourth repair will be at the contact's expense. The failure mileage was 41,465 and current mileage was 64,103.

- Gardenia, CA, USA

May 042009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While attempting to drive out of the garage, the power steering locked up. Immediately after the failure, the power steering light illuminated on the instrument panel. The steering wheel became stiff and the vehicle could not be moved. The contact had to maneuver the wheel several times and turn off the vehicle occasionally to get it to unlock. The failure occurred approximately twenty times. She took the vehicle to a repair shop and the power steering module was repaired. She spoke with the dealer when she brought in the vehicle, but they only turned off the light. The manufacturer has not been notified. The current mileage was approximately 44,000 and failure mileage was approximately 43,700.

- Rutherfordton, NC, USA

Dec 012008

G6

I own a Pontiac G6 and recently I have noticed a metal scraping sound, a loud roaring and took it in to have it examined. I was told that the front tire rod was falling apart, the passenger side hub bearing was loose, the driver side cv boot was leaking, overall that it is not safe to drive and the power steering was to go out at anytime. This is good to know info, seeing how I have kids in the backseat. I read that there has been numerous complaints in regards to the power steering on this model. So why has there been no recall" I do not have a couple of grand laying around to repair this problem, just like the rest of the us citizens in this rough economical time. Again, this is a serious safety concern, so why no recall? the investigation was initiated back in 2007, what's the hold up? am I suppose to wait until serious damage occurs and file a lawsuit" this is utterly absurd and should not be apparent in a vehicle that is less than 3 years old. Please let me know the status of the investigation.

- New Albany, OH, USA

Apr 282009

G6

2006 Pontiac G6 steering wheel locking up while driving, Pontiac knows about the problem.a sensor in the steering wheel goes bad. Cost of $600 or more to be fixed and Pontiac will not guarantee that this will fix the problem. 30 pages of complaints have been sent to Pontiac.

- Morganton, NC, USA

May 162009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving 40 mph, the contact noticed that the power steering locked up. A warning indicator illuminated, which stated that the power steering was failing. The contact was able to pull the vehicle over safely. She turned off and restarted the vehicle and the failure did not recur. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they determined that the power steering sensor failed. The repair would cost $700. The contact is in the process of notifying the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 53,000 and current mileage was 53,200.

- Bee Branch, AR, USA

Apr 232009

G6

I've had my 06 G6 for a little over three years and the car has been a nightmare. The car has been into the dealership at least 6 times for the same reason over the last few years only to have nothing done and be charged ridiculous prices. The main issue is a clunking noise in the steering when making a turn in any direction. The 1st time it happened I was told it was the gear box and had that replaced under warranty, and 6mths later the exact noise is back and my vehicle back in the dealership. Well this time it's not the gear box it's the shaft that needs to be replaced and it's not covered. Go figure! my next question to the dealer is how is it that my car is making the same noise it was making 6mths ago from the exact same area and it's something different now and not covered by the warranty" how do I know that you have competent workers and their repairing what really needs to be repaired" otherwise I wouldn't be here in this dealership every 6mths like im on the payroll. Someone needs to correct these issues before this thing turns into something tragic.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Feb 012009

G6

The power steering on my 2006 Pontiac G6 has stopped working most of the time. I took it to a mechanic and he told me it was a battery issue, and told me to replace the battery and that should fix it. I did that and the problem has not been fixed, in fact it got worse. Before it would start working after a few miles, but now it hasn't started working since I replaced the battery. If the steering goes out in the middle of a turn as I have been told it does, while my wife is driving there will be no doubt an accident. From what I have read GM does not know what the problem is and wants me to pay to replace everything until they can find out what the problem is.

- Hooper , UT, USA