NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 5 of 8)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2007 Pontiac G6 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

Nov 012012

G6 6-cyl

Vehicles brake lights staying on when brakes are not being applied. This issue is on going for over a year and have attempted to have this issue fixed by three different shops even a GM dealer with all saying they can not find an issue. This issue is when the vehicle is in park and when in drive.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

Aug 062013

G6 4-cyl

When the brake pedal is not being used, the brake lights will stay on and will turn off when the pedal is depressed. Additionally, car hard to shift out of park, and that cruise control does not engage properly.

- Newton, WI, USA

Nov 132013

G6

I have a 2007 Pontiac G6 and I am having issues with the brake lights malfunctioning. The brake lights will come on when I am not pressing down the brakes and when I do press on the brakes the brake lights go off. I have also had trouble shifting out of park. I understand there is a investigation going on that may possibly result in a recall. I just wanted to put my complaint in because I feel this is a huge safety hazard. Also I see alot of other people have complained about this as well. Thanks.

- Shelbyville, KY, USA

Jun 072013

G6

The electrical connectors for the headlights (low beam) keep needing to be replaced. This is a common problem among other G6 owners I know. It appears the company used cheaply made parts for this and thus they are corroding and not working properly. Huge safety issue if you don't have working lights.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jan 042013

G6

Brake lights illuminate while driving and foot is not on the brake, then turn off when the brake is pressed. Sometimes blink first and they illuminate after about a minute. Also sometimes it is difficult to shift out of park. I brought the car in to the GMC dealership once already, the brake lights seemed to work fine for a few months and then the issue started all over again. Have 2nd appointment at the dealership today for the same issue.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 022013

G6 6-cyl

I own a 2007 Pontiac G6. The brake lights come on when the brake pedal is not even touched. When I do apply the brake, the brake light shuts off. This has caused several "close calls" during highway driving. I am aware that there was a recall for this exact problem on the 2005 and 2006 Pontiac G6's, which was diagnosed as corrosion in a wiring connector problem. Perhaps some of these bad wiring connectors were used in the 2007 cars. I contacted GM and got the "party line" "sorry but your year 2007 is not included in the recall" even though the problem is exactly the same as the recalled 2005's and 2006's. will it take a terrible accident to acknowledge that there is a serious problem here"????????"

- Maineville, OH, USA

Sep 192013

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights always appear on when driving, brake lights go off when brake pedal is pressed. Because my vehicle shows that the brake lights are always on it effects my cruise control and it will not engage when driving. I have been pulled over and close calls of being hit because when I am actually braking, it shows I am not so vehicles behind me do not know I am applying the brakes.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

May 132013

G6 5-cyl

Our 2007 Pontiac G6 brake lights illuminate when the brake pedal is not depressed. Once the pedal is pressed the lights go off. We have had the car into the dealership at least 5 times for the same issue and we have replaced the lighting switch once. The shop has told us that they have done everything they can do to fix the issue but the problem still exists. This is extremely dangerous on the highway and we have had people behind us lock up their brakes to avoid rear rending us because they aren't aware that we are actually on the brakes when they are following us.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jul 032011

G6 6-cyl

My brake lights are getting stuck on. The issue happened a couple of times shortly after I bought the car, but nothing to worry about. Now each time I drive the car, my brake lights are getting stuck on. When I tap the break, the lights turn off all together. I am going to have to get this repaired since I can be ticketed for this, and/or get into an accident. Faulty brake switch? the issue also causes a problem with my cruise control to refuse to engage.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Nov 012010

G6

The brake lights do not work properly. They are typically on when the brake pedal is not depressed, and turn off when it is. Sometimes if I'm parked, and I push really hard on the brake pedal, they will come on and go off when I let up (as they should). However, after some time, they revert back to working opposite from how they should. I've had the car since 2008 and discovered this about 2 years after I had it when a friend was following me. At the time, I found that a recall had been issued for the exact same problem for earlier models of this car, but there was/is no recall at this time for more recent models. Additionally, I have occasionally had the problem of the car being difficult to shift out of park. I've found that if this happens, I can shift when I push the brake pedal all the way to the floor.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Aug 012013

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights come on for no reason and when pedal is pressed the lights go off.. this is very dangerous and have almost caused 2 accidents in one trip home from work. I have brought car to sts and they replaced the brake pedal position sensor and it still did not correct issue. I see many other owners are dealing with the same issue, and believe this to be a major concern for all.

- Point Pleasant , NJ, USA

Sep 152012

G6

My brake lights will constantly stay on. I am also having problems where my cruise control will not work. I see this is a big problem and there is a recall on the Pontiac G6's for this time frame but my car is not on there. Is there a way I can get it fixed under the recall?

- Litchfield, MI, USA

Aug 282013

G6

Brake lights come on randomly and will not always illuminate when pedal is depressed.

- Boones Mill, VA, USA

Aug 012012

G6

My 2007 Pontiac G6 brake lights are illuminating when the brake is not depressed. It is hard to also move the gear shifter from park at times. Also, at the same time my brakes lights stopped working properly my cruise control stopped operating. I feel the brake lights working in the opposite manner is a major safety issue which can lead others drivers to also not be safe.

- Cedar Lake, IN, USA

Jul 252013

G6

Brake lights were reported on while I'm not depressing the brake pedal and going off when I press the brakes in. I started having trouble shifting out of park, and my cruise control works intermittently.

- Akron, OH, USA

Jul 192013

G6 6-cyl

Drivers side low beam headlight socket melted.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jul 012012

G6

When the car is in park, the brake light will automatically come on after about 3-5 seconds without pressing the pedal. While driving, the brake lights will stay on until application of the brakes. The brake lights will then turn off when the brakes are pressed. On multiple occurrences, I have had other drivers flag me down while on the road to tell me about the problem. This issue is especially dangerous at night since the driver behind you will have no indication you are slowing down since pressing the brake turns off the brake lights. This issue has been going on for over 2 years now and is becoming unsafe to drive. I am constantly worried driving at nights because the risk for being rear ended is very high. I have seen many others having the same issue and request the NHTSA recall this issue before someone gets seriously injured or killed. Also, the car gets stuck in park after starting the car. The only way to get the car out of park is to repeatedly press the brake to unlock.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 012013

G6 4-cyl

When making turns there is a loud pop sound coming from the steering column. Also I am having issues with my brake lights coming on while the brake is not compressed and going off while the brake is compressed. It is a huge safety issue. I have almost been rear-ended multiple times due to the fact that the driver behind me does not know I am slowing down.

- Winchester , VA, USA

Jul 022012

G6

A year ago during very hot weather in wi the cruise control would not work. After the heat subsided the cruise control worked again regularly. In the last couple weeks cruise control was not working again. Friends following me one day said my brake lights seemed to be on when driving and off when braking. A local mechanic replaced the stop light switch after receiving the code during a diagnostic test. I was informed he could not troubleshoot the cruise control problem and it would need to be seen by a dealer. This is very concerning if other drivers cannot see I'm braking when following. What is being done to remedy this problem that appears to be a nuisance for many others?

- Elkhorn, WI, USA

Aug 022011

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights worked intermittently. Sometimes when accelerating, the brake lights stay on and when actually braking, the brake lights go off. Sometimes the brake lights just permanently stay on. When the brake lights engage intermittently or permanently, the cruise control disengages. Had the brake pedal switch replaced and re-calibrated on numerous dates at shaheen GM in mount pleasant, mi. November of 2012, returned the vehicle to lunghamer GMC dealership where the car was purchased and had the entire brake sensor system replaced and re-calibrated. One month after the repair, the brake lights began working intermittently again. Took the vehicle to dagwood's in mount pleasant, mi where I was told that the problem was unfixable. Dagwood's claimed that they could replace the switch and re-calibrate again, but that there was no guarantee that the problem would not resume immediately after pulling it off the lot. This is a constant problem, in which I have been pulled over for a couple of times. However, it is not a matter of a simple "fix-it" ticket since there seems to be no possible repair. It is also very dangerous to be driving when the brake lights are not working properly. I have nearly been rear-ended on numerous occasions when I have been braking and the car behind me cannot tell because the brake lights do not go on. I have documentation of all of the times that I have brought the vehicle to the dealership in attempts to remedy this situation.

- Mount Pleasant, MI, USA