NHTSA — Steering Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 13 of 19) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2007 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 13 of 19)

Apr 112011

G6 4-cyl

While driving a "power steering" message will come across at intermittent times. I have brought it in and they have said that there is something(cant remember the exact part) with the steering column that needs to be replaced. I have not replaced this part yet. I'm hoping that they do a recall on the part like they have for other vins. Also while driving when I turn either direction it makes a loud clunking noise.

- Two Rivers, WI, USA

Nov 072012

Power steering locks up. Locks up no matter what speed you are going. Found that they replaced this for the 05,06, 08 years but not 07" really" apparently it is still a dangerous issue that has not been resolved by Pontiac. I viewed several complaints and Pontiac does not accept responsibility for the 2007. Not sure how they are getting away with this. This is very dangerous and will go out at any given moment. Very expensive to replace. Must replace or don't drive. I have driven other makes of cars before and they have repaired them if there was a recall. This is my first new Pontiac that they refuse to recall. Next new car will not be Pontiac. Spread the word, don't buy a used Pontiac G6. Mine was brand new when I bought it.

- Crawfordsville, IN, USA

Feb 122013

G6 4-cyl

Hearing a popping noise everytime I turn left....getting worse....took to get new tires and brakes and was told I needed to take to Pontiac to find out what the noise was...(.had it in at Pontiac in 2008 for steering)...I paid $95 labor for them to tell me that the steering gear was car has low mileage, it is well maintained and the steering gear is faulty..I called Pontiac customer service about this and was told that there was no recall on the steering and I was responsible for the my search for more information on this I found that I am not alone and that there seems to be a lot of us G6 owners out there that have problems with the this not a safety hazard......from what I have read I would say so....I feel its time to demand a recall for steering issues with the G6, there is a great chance they will lock up or you may loss you steering all together from what I have read from other complaints.....when I asked the mechanic at Pontiac if it was safe to drive his answerer was...."I don't know".....what an answer to give to some that is about to pull out of your lot.....really

- St Augustine, FL, USA

Jan 072011

Popping and clunking noise when turning the wheel. Has done it the whole 2 yrs I have had it, nobody can seem to fix the issue for good.

- Bainbridge, GA, USA

Jan 232013

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, she attempted to park but the steering wheel seized, causing her to crash into another vehicle. The vehicle was not destroyed and the contact sustained a minor whiplash injury. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 56,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Feb 042013

G6 4-cyl

I have been having powers steering problems with my car for months. Power steering light comes on, the wheel jerks making it hard to control sometimes. At higher speeds it seemed to be worse, and the steering wheel will vibrate. I did bring it to a dealer that told me there was extended warranty coverage on 2005 and 2006 G6 models, but not 2007. I would be responsible for repairs. Yesterday I was in a car accident and I believe the steering problem played a role. The wheel was jerking, prior to the accident. We were driving on an interstate traveling at a faster speed. I don't know how I ended up bouncing off the back tire of a semi truck in the lane next to me, but I was fighting the car to gain control of the vehicle again. Not only with all the "normal" physical forces, but the car still wanted to go its own way. Over compensating and fishtailing the whole way. Thankfully we are all alive, the car probably will be a complete loss.

- Pontiac, IL, USA

Jan 032013

On my way home from work with my three year old daughter, I was exiting the freeway and my steering wheel pulled to the left and locked up. With five O'clock traffic, I immediately used my body weight to try to gain control of the vehicle and not flip the car over the ledge of the highway. The vehicles behind me began honking and having to move to the shoulder to avoid hitting me. I stopped and turned off the car to wait for assistance. As I was waiting, I turned the car back on to keep my daughter warm. When I turned the vehicle back on the steering unlocked and the vehicle seemed okay. I drove it to the gas station which was about a mile away. I waited for my partner to arrive so she could follow me home. As we started driving home, about a quarter mile down the road it locked up again. At that point we had the vehicle towed home. We arrived home, and I started the vehicle to find the steering unlocked. Drove it around the block and it lock up. The car is currently parked, and unsafe to drive.

- Peralta, NM, USA

Sep 122012

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that whenever attempting a turn, he would hear a squeaking noise from the steering wheel. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for inspection where they advised that they could not diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 25,000. Updated 02/27/13 the dealer informed the consumer the squeaking was a gear at the end of the steering column and it may get worse over time. Updated 02/27/13

- Savannah, GA, USA

Dec 282012

Driving during snowy conditions, I began to lose control and spin out. I attempted to correct my steering, then my car fish tailed. I slid into the ditch, never used my brakes. I took out a sign with the drivers side and hit about 3-4 trees with the front end. My airbags never deployed. Thank goodness no one was injured, but the amount of damage done and how many things I hit, shocks me as to why my airbag never deployed.

- St Germain, WI, USA

Dec 312012

Brakes, and brake rotors have been replaced numerous times. Too many electrical malfunctions to mention. Today, my wife said her power steering light came on. It scares me that she has to drive my son to school in this car. I have researched this vehicle, and found numerous safety issues with other owners as well. I have contacted the different dealers for help, to no avail. Why isn't there a recall yet?

- Bigelow , AR, USA

Dec 172012

G6 4-cyl

The power steering started shaking from side to side sort of a vibration. Then later it would just quit working. We could still steer the car but it had no power assist. If the car is turned off the steering works for awhile.

- Preston, OK, USA

Sep 102012

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph the steering began to pull the vehicle left and right. In addition while parked and trying to restart the engine it would not start. The contact had to wait an hour for the vehicle to start. In addition, the lug nuts have been bending and coming off of the wheels. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included on any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000 and the current mileage was 96,818.

- Watertown , NY, USA

Oct 222012

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated the power steering failed and smoke started to emit from under the hood. The vehicle was towed to a repair shop. The contact stated that the tow truck driver believed that the power steering had failed. In addition, the contact stated that both front wheel bearings had to be replaced twice within the past two years. The mechanic explained that it was normal for wheel bearing to fail with one year. The failure and current mileage was 82,056.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 012012

G6 6-cyl

Front end rattles and knocks. When driving over bumps, loose control of steering. GM needs to recall for these problems.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jun 012011

G6 4-cyl

At least twice a week since I purchased the car from a previous owner, the power steering would lock on me and I am unable to steer anymore. This would happen anywhere from going 10mph to 70mph. The only way that I could steer again is to turn off the car and turn it back on as I am moving the steering wheel to unlock it. Thankfully I managed to prevent any accidents but it is just a matter of time before something happens. I took the car to a dealership and was told it was fixed but few weeks later same problem. I would be driving on a main road and right before I have to turn it locks on me so I have to turn off the car in the middle of the road to unlock it. This is a big safety issue. Something needs to be done about it. I cannot afford to keep spending money to fix this issue. This was a problem with a G5 and they did a recall on it. I cannot believe that the same problem is happening to G6 now and they will not do anything about it. I called GM several times but they said because this is an electrical problem my 10 year power train warranty wont cover it and therefore they wont even take a look at it (unless I pay out of pocket). Never again will I buy a GM car.

- Trenton, MI, USA

Sep 192012

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6 GT. The contact stated that while having the vehicle repaired by a private mechanic, the contact was advised that the power steering line failed due to extreme heat coming from the exhaust pipe. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted. The failure and current mileages were 64,012.

- Flatwoods, KY, USA

Jun 162010

I financed this used car in 2010 at 27,000 miles. Since I have had this car I have not had the chance to really enjoy it because I am constantly fixing on it. I ave had a lot of problems. I have replaced brakes 2X once with rotors and they are goin out again including rotors. I am constantly replacing tires. My steering wheel pops when turning and I have had this fixed once. Traction gone. Had heat/air on and smoke smelling like a firecracker came from passenger dashboard. My biggest problem right now is that I had the whole suspension system replaced and now I am constantly replacing the lugs on my front left tire because the constantly pop off. Brake lights and headlights constantly goes out. Air bag, engine, and traction light goes on and off (sometimes staying on). Power in driver door gone out for windows resulting in 3 windows unable to roll up/down but will work when wants. Only one will go down using its own panel. Replaced a crack in lca. Remote starter gone out. Car wheel shakes occasionally. Interior lights doesn't work except front dashboard but minus where gear shaft at (went out after smoke from dashboard). Needs struts to be replaced. Also jerks with a huge pop that you can feel when putting car in gear. When accelerating you can feel it shift gears. I am currently only at about 83000 miles. Nothing but trouble. Scared serious accident may happen because of the lugs constantly poppin off. We don't know why. I called Pontiac and GM and no recalls on this car except power-train and warranty for trans and none of this was covered by warranty or them period. Tired of this car so tired!! GM and Pontiac need to do something this is terrible to only be a 2007.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Feb 132008

First the darn radio stop working off and on after I got it and all the way to now, for as long as I owned it. And then the steering wheel started making popping sounds and now the headlights keeps blowing bulbs because the darn wires are burning. On top of that the manual says that it gets 30 mpg and I only can get up to 23 mpg. If I knew this I would of left that darn car on that lot.

- Utica , MS, USA

Sep 052012

G6 4-cyl

The power steering will go out while you are driving down the road. Now everytime I start the vehicle the steering wheel shakes and then the power steering goes out. They recalled the G5 for this problem why haven't they recalled the G6 since its the same issue?

- Bennington, OK, USA

Aug 232012

G6 4-cyl

When leaving work one night I put the car in gear and heard a warning bell. I noticed that the words power steering lit up on my radio console. I figured it was low on fluid and decided to check it when I got home. During the 15 minute drive to my house the warning light came on several more times each time I was coming to a stop and/ or turning. Once home I found that there was no way for me to fill or even check the fluid levels. It has gotten progressively worse and the power steering has begun to fail. I had the car checked out at a dealership( as instructed in the owners manual) but they were unable to pull a code nor had they ever heard of this problem. This car is generally driven by my wife and this issue needs to be addressed.

- Lansing, MI, USA