NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 7 of 10) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 7 of 10)

May 262013

I was almost rear ended at a stop light. The driver behind me told me that my tail lights weren't working. I investigated further and noticed they did not illuminate until my foot was off the brake. They did not light if my foot was on the brake.

- Louisville , KY, USA

May 252013

G6 6-cyl

2008 Pontiac G6, brake lights work opposite of what they are supposed to. Brake lights are on when the brake pedal is not pressed. Once the brake pedal is pressed, the lights go out. Cruise control won't engage every time (works intermittently).

- Edina, MN, USA

May 062013

G6 4-cyl

I was driving and trying to set the cruise control and the cruise would not set. I was also being followed by my wife at the time. When we arrived at our destination, she asked me if I was riding the brakes. I told her I was not and she informed me that my brake lights were on all the time, except for after making a stop & restarting they would go out briefly and come back on and stay on. Since that day this has happened intermittently several times and this concerns me very much as I have a 16 year old son who drives this vehicle to work and you never know if the lights are stuck on unless you try to engage the cruise control.

- Argenta, IL, USA

Sep 032012

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights illuminate when brakes are not applied and go off when brakes are applied. Problem temporarily fixed by applying dielectric grease to control module contacts but problem recurs without warning.

- Sevierville, TN, USA

May 062013

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights self-illuminate, canceling cruise control functions as a result. General Motors has issued a technical service bulletin on this issue (#08-05-22-009: Intermittently brake lights (stop lamp) do not function correctly, extended travel to shift out of park, cruise control inoperative, dtc C0161/C0277 set (perform repair as outlined) - (Dec 4, 2008) ), enough vehicles are affected by this issue to warrant a safety recall.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Mar 182013

G6 4-cyl

The brake light works intermittently. This started about a month ago and even though we have replaced the bulb and checked the electrical system, it still persists. It is a safety hazard.

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Mar 272013

G6 4-cyl

Passenger headlamp socket keeps burning out. This happened on my other 2008 G6. There needs to be a recall.

- Watseka, IL, USA

Mar 292013

My brake lights will come on and stay on until I shut the car off. It appears I am riding my brakes which I am not. Please look into this and potentially recall the defect. It can cause accidents to happen.

- Lisle, IL, USA

Apr 302010

G6 4-cyl

My brake lights are staying on even when the brake isn't being pressed. This is also linked to my cruise control issue of turning off while engaged automatically and then not turning back on.

- Lemoore, CA, USA

Apr 122013

- Ada, OK, USA

Feb 012012

Low beam headlight isn't working again. I took the car to the dealer because it used to work at least sometimes. This is after replacing both headlights earlier this year. When speakin with the dealer they told me without even looking at anything it was the wiring harness for the headlight and almost all the G6 cars have had some problem with this. Looking on the G6 forum I'm starting to believe him! this shoudl be a recall!!

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Dec 012012

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that he was informed that the brake lights would illuminate when the contact was accelerating. The light would independently shut off once the brakes were depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they advised that the body control module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance to the contact. The failure mileage was approximately 110,000. The current mileage was approximately 114,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Jun 132012

G6 6-cyl

The low beam headlamp sockets melt due to ground issues causing the headlamp bulbs to burn out. Replaced headlamp sockets (pigtails) for the lights work for less than a week. Passenger (right) side occurs more often than driver (left). Second time malfunction occurred was while driving at night on a freeway. High beams were still usable but it took a few seconds to regain light.

- Cascade, WI, USA

Aug 012012

G6 6-cyl

Cruise control disengages and brake lights illuminate without pressing brake pedal and turn off when the brake pedal is pressed. I have researched and found reports of the same problems on the Saturn aura and Chevy Malibu of the same year, and the Pontiac G6 of 2005.

- Oak Park, IL, USA

May 052012

G6 6-cyl

The brake lights come on when the pedal is not depressed and go off when it is depressed. This condition also affects the cruise control. This only happens occasionally, but it seems to be happening more since the first occurrence. This a very dangerous situation and there is no way of knowing when it is occurring.

- Decatur, IN, USA

Feb 272012

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, it was noticed that the brake lights illuminated although the brakes were not depressed. The contact also stated that the brake lights failed to illuminate while decelerating. In addition, the contact attempted to activate the cruise control but it failed to engage and it also activated independently. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 52,000 and the current mileage was 78,294 updated 5/7/13

- Alvin, TX, USA

May 012008

G6 4-cyl

Upon the purchase of a brand new Pontiac G6 in 2008, I have had several problems from about the 5000 mile mark. It began with my tail lights staying on while driving, no matter what speed. When I apply the brakes, they would go off and come on while driving. A month later steering column started to knock when making turns, the dealership has regreased the shaft and the noise went away for a few weeks and has continued to make the noise. The dealer said it will not hurt anything and will not regrease it. All of these issues have been happening for 4 consecutive years. I have replaced several head lamps, once about every 2 months and wiring harness because they melt. The power steering started to go out in November of 2012 and several times since; it locks up and I am unable to drive it for a while and it just magically fixes itself. I had trouble putting my vehicle in park in January 2013 and my key would not come out of the ignition. I left it in for a few days and it came back out. Yesterday, February 23, 2013 the airbag service light has come on. We have checked all fuses, and there seems to be none out. The vehicle has never been in any accident not even a dent on the vehicle. I have never recieved a recall for the vehicle either. Maybe they are just not getting to me?

- Harrisonburg, VA, USA

Jun 012011

G6 4-cyl

I have had several problems with my 2008 Pontiac G6, one of which I have contacted GM but am unable to pay for a diagnostic at a dealer to then be reimbursed, which is for the actuator on the rear driver' side door that prevents the door from locking and unlocking; a huge safety concern. I have to check the door each time I exit my car, as it being locked or unlocked is completely unpredictable. I have found many posts on where owners share similar stories; along with other costly, safety issues I experience. I will also note some other issues I have regarding the dome light and the door ajar essage. I have to leave my dome light in the off osition because when left on auto, it does not dim and turn off. On days I have forgotten, I find my dome lights on after 12 or so hours of non-use. In an effort to not forget and drain my battery, I leave it off; this leads to my having to get in and out of a dark car at night and early in the morning. Also, the door ajar message displays constantly and often makes a beeping noise in warning. I have read online that there is an issue with the door sensors, causing "door ajar" to appear. Other than being purely annoyed, my concern is that if a door were to ever actually be ajar, I would have no premise to pull over and check. Also, the warning noise does sound at times when the message is not displaying, which leads to distracted driving as I check for issues on my instrument panel and that all passengers are wearing seat belts. All three of the aforementioned issues started within a few months of one another in 2011, shortly after my lease ended and I purchased the vehicle. I appreciate your time in reading my concerns. I have anticipated a day for a recall to assist those like myself, who live on a limited income and cannot address all of these non-debilitating, yet unsafe G6 issues, out-of-pocket.

- Bath, MI, USA

Jun 012012

G6 4-cyl

I would like to inform NHTSA that my 2008 Pontiac G6 had/has issues with the brake lights. The lights are illuminated while accelerating and turn off while braking. The issue was first brought to my attention when my brother was following me and asked why I was riding my brakes. He explained what he saw, and we figured out my brake lights were backward. The issue continued, with seemingly no pattern. At times they illuminated correctly and at others, not. I tested the lights often and speed also did not seem to be a factor. I took my car to a repair shop where I was charged $162.90 for a new brake switch that was not needed. Upon finding the issue still in existence, I contacted the shop to request a refund, which I was ultimately denied. The repair shop stated they had never heard of such an issue with brake lights, even though they witnessed it themselves while my car was there for multiple days. Upon finding no one who seemed to have an idea how to fix the issue, I found a video on youtube of a demonstration to fix the issue,"V=N7ra7mc_tlo. I took my car to a friend who followed the steps in the video. My brakes seem to be working ok at this point, but as the man in the video points out, the fix may only last for 8 or so months. Please note that since ?fixing? my brake lights, I have seen two G6"S on the road with this brake light issue, of which the drivers may or may have not known. My daily commute often involves traffic backups, and I do not want to be behind a vehicle with this issue, nor would I want anyone behind me unable to recognize that I am braking. I look forward to following NHTSA regarding the brake light issue, and hope to get a recall notice.

- Bath, MI, USA

Jan 232013

G6 6-cyl

I had an issue with my low beam head lights going out over the last 12 months on my 2008 Pontiac G6. I replaced the bulbs 3 times only to have them go out again after a couple of weeks, resulting in no low beam headlights.I called GM who notified me there was no recall notice for this issue and I needed to have a diagnosis performed by a GM dealership before they would evaluate the situation. I was told by sauers dealership that it was an issue with the low beam connectors melting and that I needed to have the connectors and bulbs replaced. I informed GM of this who then called the dealer and I was told since my car was out of warranty and this was the first occurrence of this problem they could not help me with this repair cost. I have seen many reports of this same issue on the internet and am concerned that GM is not recalling for this issue. I have made a couple of attempts to have GM reimburse me for the repair costs of $305.08 but they refuse and now will not respond to me.

- La Porte, IN, USA