NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 7 of 10)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 7 of 10)

Jun 092013

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated the brake lights illuminated without the brake pedal being depressed. When the brake pedal was depressed, the brake lights would not illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Gloucster Point, VA, USA

May 172013

G6 4-cyl

I was changing my front passenger daytime running lamp and headlight and realized there is massive corrosion in both light sockets. The replacement bulb did not initially illuminate and it took several minutes of working it into the socket for it to finally light. Several days later my dash information counsel illuminated and read "auto lights off" indicating that my running lamps were no longer on.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 242012

G6 4-cyl

My vehicle has experienced the issue that when I press the brake pedal, the brake lights go off and when the brake pedal is not being pressed the brake lights go back on again. It has cause many people to almost rear-end me in intercity driving and many pass me on the highway because they assume I am "riding my brakes." I've gone as far as to put dialectic grease on the body computer to prevent any corrosion, but this is only a temporary fix. We found that if we periodically unplug and re-plug the same computer it will "reset" the brakes for a temporary amount of time. I've tried contacting Pontiac about this issue but end up being repeatedly told that "there is no recall for my VIN on this issue." They didn't seem to care as much that I was calling out of courtesy to let them know so they can prevent any issues or fatalities. I was urged to go pay a GM dealer $$ to "diagnose" the problem so they could find out that way.......wow, thanks Pontiac, that's exactly what I want to do....pay money to help you expand your recall.

- Belleville, IL, USA

May 262013

G6

I was almost rear ended at a stop light. The driver behind me told me that my tail lights weren't working. I investigated further and noticed they did not illuminate until my foot was off the brake. They did not light if my foot was on the brake.

- Louisville , KY, USA

May 252013

G6 6-cyl

2008 Pontiac G6, brake lights work opposite of what they are supposed to. Brake lights are on when the brake pedal is not pressed. Once the brake pedal is pressed, the lights go out. Cruise control won't engage every time (works intermittently).

- Edina, MN, USA

May 062013

G6 4-cyl

I was driving and trying to set the cruise control and the cruise would not set. I was also being followed by my wife at the time. When we arrived at our destination, she asked me if I was riding the brakes. I told her I was not and she informed me that my brake lights were on all the time, except for after making a stop & restarting they would go out briefly and come back on and stay on. Since that day this has happened intermittently several times and this concerns me very much as I have a 16 year old son who drives this vehicle to work and you never know if the lights are stuck on unless you try to engage the cruise control.

- Argenta, IL, USA

Sep 032012

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights illuminate when brakes are not applied and go off when brakes are applied. Problem temporarily fixed by applying dielectric grease to control module contacts but problem recurs without warning.

- Sevierville, TN, USA

May 062013

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights self-illuminate, canceling cruise control functions as a result. General Motors has issued a technical service bulletin on this issue (#08-05-22-009: Intermittently brake lights (stop lamp) do not function correctly, extended travel to shift out of park, cruise control inoperative, dtc C0161/C0277 set (perform repair as outlined) - (Dec 4, 2008) ), enough vehicles are affected by this issue to warrant a safety recall.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Mar 182013

G6 4-cyl

The brake light works intermittently. This started about a month ago and even though we have replaced the bulb and checked the electrical system, it still persists. It is a safety hazard.

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Mar 272013

G6 4-cyl

Passenger headlamp socket keeps burning out. This happened on my other 2008 G6. There needs to be a recall.

- Watseka, IL, USA

Mar 292013

G6

My brake lights will come on and stay on until I shut the car off. It appears I am riding my brakes which I am not. Please look into this and potentially recall the defect. It can cause accidents to happen.

- Lisle, IL, USA

Apr 302010

G6 4-cyl

My brake lights are staying on even when the brake isn't being pressed. This is also linked to my cruise control issue of turning off while engaged automatically and then not turning back on.

- Lemoore, CA, USA

Apr 122013

- Ada, OK, USA

Feb 012012

G6

Low beam headlight isn't working again. I took the car to the dealer because it used to work at least sometimes. This is after replacing both headlights earlier this year. When speakin with the dealer they told me without even looking at anything it was the wiring harness for the headlight and almost all the G6 cars have had some problem with this. Looking on the G6 forum I'm starting to believe him! this shoudl be a recall!!

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Dec 012012

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that he was informed that the brake lights would illuminate when the contact was accelerating. The light would independently shut off once the brakes were depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they advised that the body control module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance to the contact. The failure mileage was approximately 110,000. The current mileage was approximately 114,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Jun 132012

G6 6-cyl

The low beam headlamp sockets melt due to ground issues causing the headlamp bulbs to burn out. Replaced headlamp sockets (pigtails) for the lights work for less than a week. Passenger (right) side occurs more often than driver (left). Second time malfunction occurred was while driving at night on a freeway. High beams were still usable but it took a few seconds to regain light.

- Cascade, WI, USA

Aug 012012

G6 6-cyl

Cruise control disengages and brake lights illuminate without pressing brake pedal and turn off when the brake pedal is pressed. I have researched and found reports of the same problems on the Saturn aura and Chevy Malibu of the same year, and the Pontiac G6 of 2005.

- Oak Park, IL, USA

May 052012

G6 6-cyl

The brake lights come on when the pedal is not depressed and go off when it is depressed. This condition also affects the cruise control. This only happens occasionally, but it seems to be happening more since the first occurrence. This a very dangerous situation and there is no way of knowing when it is occurring.

- Decatur, IN, USA

Feb 272012

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, it was noticed that the brake lights illuminated although the brakes were not depressed. The contact also stated that the brake lights failed to illuminate while decelerating. In addition, the contact attempted to activate the cruise control but it failed to engage and it also activated independently. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 52,000 and the current mileage was 78,294 updated 5/7/13

- Alvin, TX, USA

May 012008

G6 4-cyl

Upon the purchase of a brand new Pontiac G6 in 2008, I have had several problems from about the 5000 mile mark. It began with my tail lights staying on while driving, no matter what speed. When I apply the brakes, they would go off and come on while driving. A month later steering column started to knock when making turns, the dealership has regreased the shaft and the noise went away for a few weeks and has continued to make the noise. The dealer said it will not hurt anything and will not regrease it. All of these issues have been happening for 4 consecutive years. I have replaced several head lamps, once about every 2 months and wiring harness because they melt. The power steering started to go out in November of 2012 and several times since; it locks up and I am unable to drive it for a while and it just magically fixes itself. I had trouble putting my vehicle in park in January 2013 and my key would not come out of the ignition. I left it in for a few days and it came back out. Yesterday, February 23, 2013 the airbag service light has come on. We have checked all fuses, and there seems to be none out. The vehicle has never been in any accident not even a dent on the vehicle. I have never recieved a recall for the vehicle either. Maybe they are just not getting to me?

- Harrisonburg, VA, USA