Brakes Slip

9.0

2. unplug the abs fuse (2 reports)
1998 Pontiac Sunfire brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Pontiac Sunfire:

1998 Pontiac Sunfire Owner Comments

Apr 292010

Sunfire SE 2.2L

ABS related problem. Problem was progressively getting worst and dangerous.

- , Cocoa, FL, USA

Feb 042010

Sunfire 2.4L

It's not constant but enough to be concerned. It's happened 30 or so times in a 8 month period since I've had the car and only once did the car not stop and run a stop sign into traffic. It makes a raggedy loose cable sort of sound. Have no clue what it is.

- , Macon, GA, USA

Sep 302008

Sunfire SE 2.2L

I bought my '98 Sunfire back in September. It's my first vehicle and I'm constant stressing about everything that constantly is going wrong with it. It overheats, My interior light turns off and on with me braking and the windshield wipers.. etc....

However when my brakes started to slip when the ground was completely dry i began to worry.... my brakes would slip when i braked suddenly and make it impossible to stop. After thinking it over, i decided to unplug the ABS fuse. This has solved the problem, however now driving in a Canadian winter without ABS, i'm beginning to realize that the solution may not be that simple.

- , Smiths Falls, ON, Canada

Nov 252006

Sunfire 2.2L

I have had a problem with my brakes slipping and have had the complete brake system replaced twice by 2 different shops. But I have been complaining to mechanics that when I have to brake quickly or when it is rainy, snowy or on gravel that I get hear a loud rattling sound (kind of like a coin in a can) on the left hand side and just today when driving down a steep hill (it was snowing) my braked seized and I heard that sound continuously. I was scared to finish my drive home. Every mechanic that has looked at it can not find anything wrong even when they put it on the computer diagnostic.

- , Nanaimo, BC, Canada

Jun 082006

Sunfire LE

THIS VEHICLE IS DANGEROUS. IT'S PARKED IN MY GARAGE, I REFUSE TO LET ANY OF MY FAMILY DRIVE IT. THE BRAKE'S SKIP YOU NEVER KNOW IF IT'S GOING TO STOP

- , Antioch, TN, USA

Dec 022003

Sunfire

Took car back to dealer soon after I bought it because brakes would not catch. brakes grasp but then slip and car shakes plus loud rattlely noise is heard from left side under dash. Each time I took the car back nothing could be found. It is not a problem all the time and that's the problem you never know whether the car will stop. All brake parts have been replaced more than twice. I think it's a manufacturing defect, but have no idea how to find out. Any other similar complaints out there?

- , St. Louis, MO, USA