- April 10: GM Re-Recalls Ignition Switch For Another Defect
- April 8: GM Fined $7,000 a Day For Missing Ignition Switch Deadline
- March 31: GM Recalls 1.3 Million Cars for Power Steering Problems
- March 29: Emergency Motion Filed Against GM to 'Park It Now'
- March 28: GM Recalls Another 824,000 Cars for Ignition Switch Defect
- March 14: Safety Group Accuses Government of Ignoring 303 GM Car Fatalities
- March 6: Test Time: U.S. Government Takes General Motors Back to School
- February 26: Former NHTSA Administrator Says GM Committed 'Immoral Act'
- February 25: GM Waits 10 Years to Recall Over 1 Million Cars
- February 13: GM Recalls 780,000 Cars After Reports of Deaths
1996 Pontiac Sunfire
Problems & Complaints
Worst 1996 Sunfire Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Want help understanding this graph?
- AC / heater problems3NHTSA complaints: 2
- electrical problems3NHTSA complaints: 38
- interior accessories problems1NHTSA complaints: 14
- engine problems1NHTSA complaints: 46
- transmission problems1NHTSA complaints: 18
- seat belts / air bags problemsNHTSA: 47
- brakes problemsNHTSA: 34
- steering problemsNHTSA: 21
- lights problemsNHTSA: 18
- suspension problemsNHTSA: 12
- windows / windshield problemsNHTSA: 12
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 11
- exhaust system problemsNHTSA: 11
- body / paint problemsNHTSA: 11
- cooling system problemsNHTSA: 9
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 7
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 6
- exterior accessories problemsNHTSA: 5
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 3
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 2
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Pontiac Sunfire Model Years
Curious how the 1996 Sunfire compares to other years?
Check out our Pontiac Sunfire overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Sunfire.