Bottom Radiator Hose Rubs Holes

8.0

1. fashion a little trick i came up with. hasnt failed me yet (1 reports)
2000 Pontiac Sunfire cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Pontiac Sunfire:

2000 Pontiac Sunfire Owner Comments

Mar 152006

Sunfire SE 2.2L

well thanks to Pontiac's brilliant design i spent way too much money fixing my car. i will admit i have added some hp bcuz i wasnt satisfied with the acceleration. but that is not the cause of my problem. i bought the car used with nearly 50,000 miles and it was cherry. then not long down the road i noticed it running a little on the hot side and finally the coolant light came on so i checked every hose and found no leak so i added more and did the old cardboard box trick in my driveway and had not one drip. so i drove it and the leak continued. i replaced the radiator (expensive mistake) and flushed the coolant. still leaked. so finally one day i had the car on a lift changing my oil and my filter wrench slipped and hit the hose and i got a drop of coolant on my face. u c Pontiac didn't allow for clearance for the bottom radiator hose while the engine torqued. and when it did torque it rubbed a hole in the hose. so i replaced it 3 times and it kept rubbing holes so finally i used a piece of old hse and wrapped around my fourth new hose and zip tied it...i know its probably not the best way but sometimes u have to b creative and overcome defaults in designs and it was either that or keeping spending money on new hoses. my car has 97,000 miles on it now and it still purrs. i still love u pontiac but u have to step up ur game.

- , Shelbyville, IN, USA