Clicking Noise When Vents Are On Defrost

1. expert mechanic fix only, do not attempt yourself (1 reports)
2003 Pontiac Sunfire AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Pontiac Sunfire:

2003 Pontiac Sunfire Owner Comments

Jan 022010

Can't turn the heater on when it's cold or air on when it's hot unless you want to go completely out of you mind with that stupid clicking noise.

- , Ellijay, GA, Andorra

Sep 092011

Sunfire SE 2.2L

Okay.... I bought this car September 2nd with 89,900 miles... a week later, I turn the vent control knob from the A/C Recirculated to Defrost, and it started making this annoying clicking sound coming from the dash board. The only way to make the noise stop is to turn it back on Recirculated. Its extremely irritating and I have no idea what could be wrong with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Update from Nov 29, 2012: Ended up taking it to the dealer for diagnostics. I had to replace the control motor (which is located deeply inside the dash). Way too complicated and buried into the dash to replace on my own. Trust me, if I could have replaced it myself, I would have. It cost me a lil over $700 in labor and parts to fix. And while I had them down there fixing that problem, I had to have the control cable for the vents replaced as well. The parts actually weren't too expensive, its just finding a reliable, price-friendly-mechanic to do everything. Hope everyone with a Sunfire with this issue has better $$$ luck than what I had!! Best wishes too everyone!

- , Harrison, TN, USA