NHTSA — Vehicle Speed Control Problems

2005 Pontiac Sunfire engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Pontiac Sunfire:

2005 Pontiac Sunfire Owner Comments

Mar 012011

Sunfire 4-cyl

In looking up what the problem with my car I have found that several other cars seem be having the same problems. The instrument panel cluster works when it feels like it. Most days the only instrument that is working is the speedometer. Generally I use a garmin to make sure that I am at the correct speed. The temperature gauge and the tachometer is no longer working. Recently I have notice that the lights in the radio are not all lighting up. Seems that this should be a recall issue that the dealer should be handling for the amount of complaints I am finding on this vehicle. This problem seems to be a common problem with the 2005 Pontiac Sunfire.

- Conesus, NY, USA

Jan 202011

I purchased my 2005 Pontiac Sunfire in September of 2005. I bought an extended warranty which expired at 75000 miles. My speedometer goes down to zero when driving. The speedometer will start working again after the car sits for a few hours; however, now the speedometer will not work at all if the car has been sitting outside in the heat. It is very dangerous to be driving and not know what speed you are going. For the last three days after working all day, I go out and start my car and the speedometer is stuck below zero so I have to drive home on the freeway not knowing what speed I am driving. This is a huge safety concern and GM should be made to fix this problem. After researching on the internet I have found out that this problem has been going on for several years. I traded in a foreign car to buy my Sunfire and now I am regretting that decision. I no longer have faith in GM vehicles. I have not taken the car into a dealer because I have been off work for 3 months due to back surgery so I do not have the money to pay for repairs that GM should be taking care of anyway.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA