Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2008 Aura’s issues with brakes, such as worn out rotors, isn’t as severe as the prior model year, but let’s just not start awarding them any brake awards just yet. Does that even exist? “The Brakies”?

One thing the 2008 does share with the 2007 is a recall of a busted gear shifter cable which can make it look like your car is in park, when the transmission is still engaged. You can only imagine what kind of fun that causes.

2008 Saturn Aura drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Aura:

2008 Saturn Aura Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Jul 122009

Aura 4-cyl

I came to a complete stop, the car was in drive. I accelerated and my car drove backwards, in reverse. I was frightened and deeply concerned. I took my car to the dealership for repair, no repair was done on this serious problem. The work order states, they could not duplicate concern.

- Lago Vista, TX, USA

Nov 122011

Aura 6-cyl

I pulled into a parking space, put my car into park(2008 Saturn Aura)turned the key off took the key out of the ignition and exited the vehicle, the car started rolling backwards as I had parked on a slight hill, the car rolled backwards and almost knocked me down as I had not closed the door yet. The car rolled approx 15-20 feet before I could re-entered the vehicle and apply the parking brake. I tried to restart the car as it was now part way into the street and blocking the sidewalk. The car would not restart, the shift lever was in the park position. When I shifted the shift lever from park down to drive and back to park it felt like it was not engaging all the way into the park position, just before the lever got to the park position there was a little resistance and it felt like something was making it not go all the way into park even though the selector was at the park point in the column. I opened the hood and looked around & noticed the shift cable casing just before the mounting bracket was broken. I was able to push the rod by the mounting bracket where it connects to the transmission slightly and heard a click noise. I re-entered the vehicle and it started it as it was now engaged fully into park. I put the car into drive and drove it 4 blocks to my house and parked it in my driveway where I shut it off, applied the parking brake, opened the hook and manually pushed the rod into the park position. I feel that the 2008 Saturn Aura should be recalled as this is a highly dangerous condition and I've been reading that many people have been having this exact same problem with many different year Saturn Aura's. I have found the 2009 Aura's have a recall. Why not 2008? I feel that every Saturn with this style shift cable should be recalled and cable replaced ! not to mention, there should be a redesigning of this cable so this doesn't happen again.

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

May 282011

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura. The contact stated the vehicle continued to roll forward after shifting into park gear. In order to stop the vehicle, the contact engaged the parking brake. The contact also stated she was unable to remove the key from the ignition. The vehicle was examined by an independent mechanic who stated that the shifter cable was fractured. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer where the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered to cover half of the expenses. The failure and current mileages were 56,000.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Apr 012008

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura. The contact stated while driving at approximately 15 mph, the vehicle would intermittently exhibit abnormal shaking and jerking. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The failure persisted. The contact also stated that while driving at approximately 55 mph, the engine would begin to rev unusually loud without warrant. The vehicle was not taken in to be examined for the failure. The failure mileage was 2,000 and the current mileage was 25,000.

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA