2009 Saturn Aura steering NHTSA complaints: Steering

NHTSA — Steering Problems

2009 Saturn Aura (Page 1 of 5)

2009 Saturn Aura steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Saturn Aura:

2009 Saturn Aura Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Dec 032016

Eps power steering failure

- Lakeville, MN, USA

Jan 042017

Aura

I have my daughter my 2009 Saturn Aura for her 16th birthday. She began driving on Nov. 24th after completing driver's education course. She and her brother were driving to school today and the power steering went out. Luckily no one was hurt. When she arrived at school some boys came over and helped her. My daughter has been in the hospital, has an upcoming surgery, and now her car is a safety hazard. I searched my VIN to find a recall I was not aware of for the back break light. This is getting fixed this week! there is a recall on my car's electrical steering system recall: 14V153000 recall date 03/31/2014 component steering:electric power assist system recall: 14E044000 7/21/2014 component: Steering my VIN is not included in these recalls or many others it should be! I am a single mother of two children with no child support and mounting medical bills for my daughter. I cannot afford to fix something GM has recalled! my daughter doesn't deserve this! no one does! I love GM vehicles. I got a 2010 denali used so my daughter could have a car and help out the family. Now she cannot drive it at risk of hurting herself and others!!! and after seeing all there recalls I may get rid of all of these cars, once and if they can get fixed. Please email me atamanda@peteolsonlaw.com

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Dec 072016

Aura

I bought my 2009 Saturn Aura in September of 2015. Just recently in December of 2016, whenever I started the vehicle, the steering wheel would begin to vibrate followed by the power steering warning light illuminating. Upon driving the vehicle, the power steering goes completely out at anytime.

- Cordova, TN, USA

Dec 142016

Aura

I was pulling out of my job, and all of a sudden my car started slideing a little to the right and I had no power steering. Then in my dash it kept blinking power sterring ESC, its done it 3 times now..ive taken it to GM motor and pep boys and because it didn't happen to them they wont fix it.

- Silverdale, WA, USA

Jan 012014

Aura

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. While driving various speeds, the power steering stopped working and the power steering warning indicator illuminated without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The cause of the failure could not be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Plymouth, MI, USA

May 302016

Aura

While driving on the interstate my dash warning signals power steering failure and the power steering immediately ceased working. I had to manually steer the car to the shoulder. I was fortunate that there were no cars behind me there is a special extension of warranty but GM will not repair over 150,000 it should be a mandatory safety recall. Very dangerous GM wants $1000 to fix "steering torque input sensor CO545"

- Grand Ridge, FL, USA

May 012016

Aura

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that while operating the vehicle, the ESC service warning light illuminated and the cruise control had erroneously deactivated. In addition, while driving at various speeds the vehicle would suddenly began to jerk when shifting gears and the power steering had also malfunctioned causing the steering wheel to become very difficult to turn. The cause of the failures was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 167,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 052016

Aura

I have a 2009 Saturn Aura xr, I was driving to get on the freeway going about 40-45mph then the light can on saying "ESC traction" "engine power reduce" the car started to lose power and the brakes felt really tight. I tried to accelerate but it wouldn't go no faster than 30mph. I exited the freeway parked the car turned if off and turned it back on. When I turned it back on the same problem "ESC traction" "engine power reduce" and the check engine light was on, the car was on parked position and the car started to jolt forward. I had to wait for about 1-2 hours before the car was back to itself but this time it felt different driving it. The car felt like it was accelerating too quickly and I wasn't going no more than 15mph. This has happened 3 times in the past month. Is there a recall on this car because its unsafe to drive not knowing when the 'ESC traction" "engine power reduce" lights will come on again.

- East Palo Alto, CA, USA

Apr 092015

Aura

My hope is that GM will offer an extended warranty to subsidize me for some, if not all, of the cost to repair my vehicle - estimated by feldman Chevrolet @ $1,350. Prior to setting up the service appointment with feldman Chevrolet, I was informed by a GM representative (named casey) that if my vehicle issues, after being formerly diagnosed by GM dealer, were consistent with the problems covered under the extended warranty, my vehicle might very well be covered. I'm still awaiting a call back from casey after having called last week. My power steering problems began in April 2015 when I had approximately 135,000 miles on the vehicle. At that time the power steering would intermittently fail when starting the vehicle but I could always fix the problem by simply shutting off the engine and restarting. This problem would re-occur about once every other month over the next nine months and I was always able to immediately resolve the problem by turning the power off and restarting. It was an inconvenience but not significant enough to cause me to be alarmed or to consider a service call. In early February of this year my power steering completely failed and I can no longer fix the problem. In addition to the power steering warning light the ESC warning light is constantly on. The advisor at the dealership told me the condition wouldn't worsen so I have continued using the car. Regrettably, I received no notification from GM about this issue nor was I offered the extended warry coverage at any time in writing or otherwise. Had I been made aware of the extended warranty, in August 2015 when it was offered, I would have qualified for the extended warranty coverage and would have had the necessary repairs done.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Feb 222016

Aura

2009 Saturn Aura. Complete loss of power steering functionality. Warning message on dashboard indicated loss of power steering.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Jan 172016

Aura

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. While driving at any speed, the steering wheel would seize. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200,000.

- Medina, NY, USA

Dec 082015

Aura

My car pulls to the left despite having it aligned 3 times at 2 different shops. The power steering has failed completely 3 times within the last 3000 miles. Failure was noted as power steering whine followed by a blown hose or seal and loss of all fluid and power steering assistance. There is a recall #14116 for my make model and year which matches the symptoms of my problems but when contacting the manufacturer I was informed my VIN was not part of the recall.

- Loveland, OH, USA

Sep 022015

Aura

My steering is super tight. I can't turn my wheel very easily. I have to use 2 full hands to make turns and I believe my power steering is effected. It seems very unsafe to me and makes me nervous like it may lock up. I've done some research and I see there are recalls on other years of this car for the exact same problem, yet my car is not falling under the recall.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Sep 032015

Aura

This is the second time in the last year I lost use of my steering wheel. The first time, I was backing up and lost all control of my steering. I did not report it because there was not a warning light. Today, Sept. 3,2015 I was driving through the parking lot of the school (May 2 to 5 mph) when I lost all control of the steering. I wasn't able to turn the wheel either way, it was completely locked up. I stopped the car and turned off the ignition. After a copy of minutes, I restarted the car and it was fine. It was very scary knowing I could not control the car. I noticed older vehicles had the same issue and they had a recall. I believe the 2009 Aura should be investigated for the same recall.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Aug 092015

Aura

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. While driving approximately 15 mph, the vehicle power steering failed without warning. The vehicle was towed to a service station and was diagnosed that the torque sensor assembly failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 114,000.

- Chelmsford, MA, USA

Jul 262015

Aura

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. While driving at approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road, where the steering wheel resumed normal operation after many attempts. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Naugatuck, CT, USA

May 182015

Aura

Looses power steering on and off. Never know when there could be a serious accident. Had it diagnosed and the mechanic said it sounds like a defective part. Very costly to repair. Very dangerous. Going to attempt to get the problem resolved at the Chevy dealership in howell. Have seen thousands of other Auras on the recall list, but not this particular VIN. Vehicle came from Canada.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Dec 172014

Aura

Loss of power steering at intermittent times while driving. Not dependent on weather conditions - I.e. has occurred during cold and warm weather conditions, and still have intermittent problem now in warm weather. Steering becomes difficult, as power steering cuts out, and requires greater effort to control vehicle under manual steering condition, creating a safety hazard. Power steering warning light is displayed on dash once power steering is lost. Checked with dealer and GM site, no recall listed at this time, but should be.

- Willoughby, OH, USA

Jun 022014

Aura

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 210,000.

- Patterson, CA, USA

Mar 022015

Aura 4-cyl

Driving home and power steering suddenly failed making the car very difficult to steer. Pulled over to the side of the road and shut the car off. Restarted the car a few minutes later and it worked fine. This has happened many times. It happens almost every time I drive this vehicle now. GM has recalled this mode/year car for this very problem but my cars VIN number is not on their list. Why can't they repair all of the cars with this problem, rather than just a select few.

- Lake In The Hills, IL, USA