Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 1 of 15)

Sep 262016

Camry Hybrid

The ABS light and check vsc light and brake light went on. When I tried to apply brakes to stop, I realized that the brakes completely failed. The car was skidding and keep going and I pumped the brakes and still the car was moving forward. I came close to hitting another car and luckily stopped couple of inches from the other car. It keeps happening often and I am worried to drive this car as it is. It works fine and suddenly goes to this brake failing mode. Especially happen more often if it rains and making it more dangerous.

- Austin, TX, USA

Aug 112016

Camry Hybrid

My car has hit 171073 and is the 2nd time or 3 time that saids "check vsc system"and my stability control is notbworking propertly the dealer said is something normal with this year mkd and model of the car please help.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 202016

Camry Hybrid

Warning signs appeared on dash and the car was taken to a local dealership for diagnostic. Upon diagnostic, the dealership advised to change the hybrid battery to fix the problem. Took the car to the local hybrid battery expert and found that the battery was operating normal. Took the car to another dealership and they advised ABS actuator was faulty. Toyota acknowledged using the faulty ABS actuator and was offering free replacement for vehicles under 150K. The car just passed 160K and the service was denied. The car has been serviced by the local Toyota dealership for regular mainteinance and they should have been instructed to inform the customers of possible danger of faulty ABS actuator. The owner of the vehicle was never informed when the car was in for services at the dealership.

- Madision, WI, USA

Aug 122016

Camry Hybrid

Less than 60K miles and now my check vsc system light is on and brakes are not very responsive. Takes a lot longer to stop.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Jun 182016

Camry Hybrid

Borrowed my mom's 2007 hybrid Camry which she has been bringing to city Toyota in daly city, ca, for maintenance. While on freeway I noticed delay in response when braking and have to press down harder as did my daughter who uses it for work. Called city Toyota and was told there's a limited service campaign (lsc) #E0U for brake reservoir tank replacement which should be fixed for free (similar to a recall). After speaking to two service employees I was told that I can leave the car on sat, June 18, and should be fixed by the coming Monday. The service mgr, called me and said I needed to get a diagnostic completed for $160 and if it's related to the lsc I would be accountable for the $160. I was also told that I needed to leave the car for one week. I explained I should not have to pay the diagnostic if the brake problem is related to the lsc. He then told me that he would not fix the car "because of our conversation". this was upsetting as my husband and I drove 2 cars 20 miles away so that I can get back home. I told him to just fix the lsc and do not do the diagnostic and he told me to pick up my car since he will not authorize anyone to fix it. So I picked up my car again with my husband and will be taking it else where. The service mgr also lied on the invoice stating that I declined the offer to fix the lsc and that he offered to fix it and complete the work on the same day. Why would I go back and forth without having the car fixed when I know it should be done for free? this service manager acted unprofessionally and is a liar. In addition, my mom brought in her car for a 45K service early 2016 which included brakes and also in 2015 for 40K service. The lsc date was effective July 10, 2014, which meant that city Toyota neglected to fix this brake problem during those 2 times.

- San Mateo, CA, USA

Jun 122016

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. While driving approximately 10 mph, the contact heard a continuous noise emitting from the vehicle. The electronic brakes and ABS warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the entire braking system failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was approximately 180,000.

- Celina, OH, USA

Apr 272016

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. While driving 25 mph, the ABS warning light illuminated. The contact had to apply extreme pressure to the brake pedal to stop the vehicle. The vehicle made a squeaking sound. The dealer diagnosed that the brake actuator was failing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 117,000.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 082015

Camry Hybrid

Decrease in braking while driving. "barking" sound when depressing brake pedal (hard). Sound occurs in park also. No warning lights displayed on dashboard as of yet. Delay in braking when shifting out of park.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Apr 142016

Camry Hybrid

After swerving/braking to avoid collision in intersection, vehicle dash warning indicators for brake, ABS, and check vsc all illuminated. Was able to continue driving to destination while braking cautiously and took car to Toyota dealer the next day. Dealer confirmed the ABS actuator needed to be replaced and that the car was unsafe to drive without spending the $2000+ (I was 700 miles over the warranty enhancement end date) to fix it. After reviewing the maintenance records on my vehicle, this will be the 3rd brake actuator in this vehicle. How can a manufacturer acknowledge an issue with a critical system like this, but get away without a recall? an investigation into the mean time between failure of a critical safety system such as this needs to be undertaken as this is criminal.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Apr 142016

Camry Hybrid

My 2007 Camry hybrid has 200210 miles and had a brake accumulator system failure. Received warning of check vsc system and ABS and brake light illuminated. Heavy force was required to stop the car. I turned the car off and the error cleared. After driving 30 miles the issue occurred again. This is very unsafe and Toyota campaign expired 5 months ago for unlimited mileage. In date service was 2/26/2007

- Harrodsburg, KY, USA

Mar 182016

Camry Hybrid

When I change break pads and rotors the vsc system light is on.. breaks no engaged.

- East Hartford, CT, USA

Feb 252016

Camry Hybrid

Car is making a chirping noise when you engage the brake in park. Noise can also be heard when you put harder pressure on the brakes whilst in gear. Based on research it sounds like the actuator may be faulty. So far I have not had any lights on the dash come on.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Mar 042016

Camry Hybrid

While driving on a straight road on 3 separate occasions I lost all control of my brakes and my "check vsc light", brake light and ABS lights came on. I was not able to stop my car like normal and the brake pedal went all the way to the floor. It was very scary while driving.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Feb 242016

Camry Hybrid

On February 24, 2016, car brakes on my 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid locked up when we tried to stop and about 4 lights came up on the dashboard, ABS, vsc, warning light and another one. We barely managed to get out of harm's way but after the grinding noise had lost all effective power to the brakes. The car actually caught fire due to the intense heat of the grinding of the pads on the rotors but was safely put out. After replacing the pads, rotor and callipers we still wound up taking the car to a dealer because the brake actuator or something related was still not letting the brakes work. The dealer has given us a lame excuse of why this has happened and is blaming it on something else and wants to charge us a lot of money to repair it. Upon research, we are finding out about the ZE1 campaign where they had acknowledged this defect. And were repairing all the cars that came in with the defect. This is very dangerous and something should be done about it. Contacting Toyota has not helped at all. We asked for an email address but were told that these are handled by mail only. We are in the process of sending them a letter anyway.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Mar 012016

Camry Hybrid

Brakes skip now and then but eventually catch. Today while driving about 35mph in town driving straight the "check vcs braking system" lights came on as well as anti skid light and brake light and I lost all brakes when I stepped on my brakes to stop. Skid off road and car eventually stopped but brakes were all the way to the floor. I googled the warning lights and found that it was a recall on the brake system. I did not receive a recall notice in the mail if there was in fact one. Called the Toyota dealer where I purchased it and they told me to bring it in and they would look at it to confirm that it is indeed a recall issue.

- Lowell, IN, USA

Feb 242016

Camry Hybrid

I have a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid with 152850 miles. This happened yesterday (2/24/2016). It was parked and when I started the vehicle this message immediately showed up along with 4 lights turned on. 1 - check vsc system 2 - red "brake" indicator (brake system warning light) 3 - yellow indicator (brake system warning light) 4 - master warning light 5 - ABS indicator light the brake oil is full. I felt like its taking longer time to stop. Also unlike before sometimes have to press the brake all the way to the floor.

- Bear, DE, USA

Jan 282016

Camry Hybrid

Driving highway at 60 mph and dashboard lit up, tried to brake and very little brake, eventually stop with very little control on brake. Dashboard says "check vsc system". research shows its covered here. my car has 240K miles and within the 10 year statute but it seems Toyota and dealer don't want to shoulder because its over the 150K miles limitiation. I called Toyota and told them I wasn't informed and only found out on the day I almost had an accident 1/28/16 that there is a recall. Toyota said they don't care as long as they show that the notice was mailed out. Toyota should be forced to have a no limit mileage else, they're not going to make all the effort to have people know the recall.

- Antioch, CA, USA

Jan 212016

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. While driving at 40 mph, the check vsc warning light illuminated and the vehicle experienced brake failure. The contact stated that the vehicle required additional braking distance to stop the vehicle, with extreme pressure being exerted on the brake pedal. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 116,000.

- St.Louis, MO, USA

Jan 122016

Camry Hybrid

Twice in the past two days, I was driving down the road and my ABS and check vsc lights came on. The first time, nothing appeared to happen to the vehicle other than the lights. Today however, I was driving at highway speed when the lights came on. Luckily, I was approaching congested traffic and I was able to slow down naturally. As I came to the traffic and was driving at roughly 15mph, I tried to depress the brake and it went directly to the floor and did not apply any brake pressure or stop the car in any way. I pumped the brakes while veering onto the shoulder. The car did not stop at all and I was forced to coast to a stop on the shoulder of a 5 lane highway, where speeds often reach 70mph or higher. I restarted the vehicle, the lights turned off and I was able to drive the rest of the way home. I called local Toyota dealerships and made an appointment to check the car. They are going to charge me $110 for the diagnosis of the vehicle, which is all I know at this point. I also independently researched the warning lights and found articles stating that this is happening fairly frequently and that the NHTSA is investigating. That article also stated that the repair can cost upwards of $2,200. The car is absolutely unfit for the road. I can't drive a vehicle where the breaks could stop working at any moment and with very little warning. There does not appear to be any issue with the breaks themselves, when working properly. It appears to be purely a computer problem that causes the breaks to not engage.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 042016

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle would come to an abnormal stop when the brakes were applied. The contact stated that the ABS and brake light warning lights were illuminated. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer, but it was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 99,500.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA