CarComplaints.com Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 022016

Camry Hybrid

Was driving, and hybrid system check light came on...continued driving slowly then car lost a bit of power..like parking break was on and vcs failure light came on. Drove home after with hybrid system check still on.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 102014

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact received notification from the manufacturer for a service campaign to address the internal malfunction of the brake actuator assembly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer more than three times for diagnostic testing. The dealer was not able to remedy the failure with the manufacturer's service campaign ZE1. After the repair, the service engine soon warning light, ABS warning light, traction control warning light, and slip indicator continued to randomly flash and remained illuminated. The contact also stated that the push button start would not properly function intermittently and the contact was not able to start the vehicle numerous times without warning. The manufacturer was also notified several times that the service campaign did not prevent the failure from occurring. The vehicle was to be taken back to the dealer for further testing. The contact was waiting on instructions from the manufacturer to provide a permanent remedy for the condition to address the failure and received no resolution. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 126,355.

- Forest Park, GA, USA

May 292015

Camry Hybrid

The hybrid battery overheated according the mechanic at the dealership. The mechanic stated that other hybrid batteries have had the same problem because of a defective filter at the front of the car, which allows debris and dirt to get into the compartment that houses the hybrid battery. It is a $3,900 cost to replace the hydrid battery since it is no longer under warranty with 200,000 miles on the car. The mechanic stated that Toyota had modified the new filter to stop the debris and overheating problem, and that the new filter would not allow debris in. Since Toyota was aware of the filter allowing debris into the hydrid battery department, and modified the new filter to resolve the problem why was I not notified to replace the filter before it allowed the battery to overheat the hybrid battery to be destroyed?

- Arcola, IL, USA

May 292015

Camry Hybrid

The hybrid battery overheated according to the shop of the dealer. According to the mechanic this is not a new problem with the car. The warranty is 8 years or 100,000 miles on hybrid battery. The mechanic stated that the front filter allows dirt into the hybrid battery compartment, which results in the overheating. It is a $3,900 cost to replace the hybrid battery. The mechanic also states that the new filter has been modified in order to not allow the debris to get into the hybrid battery. If Toyota was aware to the point of modifying the filter in order to prevent the debris from getting into the hybrid battery area why didn't they tell me that the filter was defective and needed replaced to protect the hybrid battery?

- Arcola, IL, USA

Jan 242015

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Suddenly, the check vsc system went on for no reason.I believe that Toyota is to blame for the condition because the car is failing prematurely.Toyota should recall the 2007 Camry hybrid immediately because this can cause danger to the occupants in the car as well as pedestrians alike.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Sep 052013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Brake alert lights appeared on dash on night of 9/5/14 upon starting the vehicle. Read codes in owner's manual, and drove few blocks to home at slow speed (15 mph). On Saturday morning, 9/6/14, the incident occurred again when I was driving at about 25-30 miles per hour. Not only did the alert lights appear, but the brakes "bled" through to the floor, and it felt as if the car accelerated. Brakes worked only after pumping the brake pedal. I had the vehicle towed to service center. After diagnostics and driving for 90 miles over 4 days, the incident could not be replicated, nor did any codes appear on the computer. Vehicle was released after paying diagnostic fees. The incident occurred again on 10/2/14: Brake lights appeared on dash, the car felt it was accelerating, and the brakes failed temporarily. My foot bled through, I pumped the pedal before brakes began to work. The vehicle was towed to dealership. Again, diagnostics did not reveal codes nor was the incident able to be replicated. Dealership replaced the brake fluid reservoir according to Toyota corporate directions. Found info online that NHTSA cited 59 complaints of brake failure for 2007-08 Camry hybrids. Reported these incidents to Toyota corporate, who assigned a case no. Have not heard from corporate case mgr. Yet, but expect to by Monday, 10/06/14. Corporate said they do not offer a loaner vehicle while this is being addressed, but to ask dealership. Dealership said they could not provide a loaner vehicle.

- Manitou Springs, CO, USA

Aug 142014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving from work on the freeway when all of a sudden all my lights on my dashboard popped up, I lost traction control, and the notification panel started beeping check hybrid system and check vsc system. A few days later the vsc went away and then came back so I took it to a dealer ship where they spent 5 hours looking over my car and couldn't tell me what was wrong other then a monitoring system is bad or the battery is bad and quoted me for the system it would be $1700 and the battery around $4000.

- Minot, ND, USA

Apr 252014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

On 4/24/14 I was driving my car and thought it felt a little sluggish or strange. Then when I got up to go to work on the 25th, when I started the car every light on the dash came up and it displayed multiple messages. I called dealership and they advised I have car towed to them. I did that and they determined that the hybrid battery pack was bad. The warranty expired at 100,000 miles and I had 116,000 miles on the car.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 142014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving I attempted brake to slow entry into uphill driveway. All lights on driver panel lit up. Brakes did not respond to slow down or stop. With full force I depressed brake pedal. Since drive way was uphill, I coasted to stop just short of garage door before crashing. This was not the first time the brakes totally failed during last couple of months. I drove to dealership for second time to have beaks inspected. The car was also making loud noise whenever brakes applied. The service manager said the brake system was examined by several technicians. Again, they found nothing wrong with brakes and told me the car was safe to drive! despite several recent brake failures, two visits to Toyota dealership, the service manager said the loud noise when braking came from the "brake actuator, " which could be replaced for $2,900! quote from service invoice of March 18, 2014, follows: "tech 165630 performed diagnosis on brake noise from inside cab of vehicle. Test drove with customer to verify noise. Found that brake actuator is the cause of internal noise when at a stop while brake is applied. Suggest new brake actuator and brake flush and re-test for noise again." Service manager and technicians said, "it' safe to drive." I do not believe it is safe to drive. Since I am a visiting hospice nurse, that car is my office. I wonder when the brakes will fail again, and when the incessant loud noise will stop. I took the car to an independent foreign car repair shop. They said, "the actuator is the source of the noise and your braking problem. However, we can't get an actuator to replace Toyota's part because it is a "locked part" in the engine. Only Toyota dealers can obtain the part, and only a Toyota dealer can install the part." Will you help?

- Woodbridge, CA, USA

Sep 202013

Camry Hybrid

I was only driving my vehicle about a mile when it first happened. I was approaching a stop light and attempted to apply the brakes. Nothing happened. The steering went out and the brakes felt like they weren't catching. Thankfully, I was only going about 25-30 mph, and had enough space to stop before hitting another car that was stopped at the light. I looked at the dashboard display and noticed something that read, "check vsc system". there was also a warning triangle. The Camry manual instructed us to bring it to the dealership - but I can't afford that. The next day, it worked fine. A few weeks later, the incident happened again while I was exiting the highway and coming to a red light. I was decelerating from about 65 mph to a full stop and felt the brakes give again and the steering was difficult. I was able to pull over, turn off the car, and restart and it was fine again. I had the brake pads changed, but don't understand what is happening. We didn't have the problem for several months. But now it feels like the brakes want to give when I am idling in traffic. While my foot is on the brake, the car will squeak and subtly jerk forward like the brakes are about to give up the ghost. It's really scary, but I can't afford another car at this time. I've looked into the vsc system and don't understand why that would intermittently affect my braking and steering ability.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Apr 142014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The brake light illuminated on my dash as I was sitting in stop and go traffic. About 10 minutes later, I was traveling about 55 mph and attempted to push my brakes to stop for a stop light. The brakes did not respond normally and it took about 4 times as long to get the car to stop compared to normal responsiveness. Simultaneously, my entire dash board lit up with warning lights. I proceeded to pull over to a safe place, going maybe 10mph, I went to park and rolled into the curb in front of my car because I could not get the brakes to stop the car. I placed the car in park. All indicator lights cleared and brakes started working again. I had the car towed to a Toyota certified mechanic, who told me that nothing had registered in the computer. The car was then driven a bit to try to recreate the problem and towed to a Toyota dealer. Eventually the C1345 and C1468 codes appeared. Toyota was contacted and recommended the accumulator assembly be replaced, brake system bleed, reset memory and calibrated linear valve. Expensive repair was completed and the car is now driving again.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Apr 142014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Warning brake light came on ( the emergency brake one) while I was out driving. The emergency brake was not engaged. Tried to get the car home and at a light when I went to take off, the car started to move then suddenly stopped in the intersection, but the car was still running. I turned on my flashers, and restarted the car. The "check vsc system" warning came on and I drove the car slowly home. The brakes were very spongy, like there was hardly any braking power.

- North Richland Hills, TX, USA

Sep 272013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

At a parking spot, full stop, suddenly the vehicle surged and hit a cement post. Air bags did not deploy. Damage to vehicle was over $7500 left knee/shin hit dash due to knee air bag not deploying. Injury was not reported as it did not show up until later.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 282014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving on the freeway, when the vsc and ABS warning lights came on. I noticed a loss of braking power. The brakes "pop" when I depress the petal upon starting. I have noticed the brakes jerk on two occasions. I am concerned about my safety when I drive the vehicle, but cannot afford to repair it at this moment. The replacement part alone is over $2,100. On a side note, I previously owned a 2009 Camry xle that had the same problem.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 012013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was turning into my office parking lot when my "check vsc system", brake light, stability control light, etc came on. Immediately, my brakes were practically gone and fortunately nobody was coming the other direction or I wouldn't have been able to stop. Over the next few months, this same thing happened every few days, mostly when driving around 50mph but it would go away and be back to normal, usually within a few minutes. Eventually, the lights came on and this time stayed on (they've been on for a few weeks now), but the brakes seem to be working fine. However, I'm scared that they will give out. I've done some research on this and I believe there is already an investigation underway. I just wanted to add my name/complaint to the list. This is absolutely a safety hazard that will result in deaths if not recalled. I've read that some people who have had this fixed at the dealership or a repair shop are paying around $3000 dollars to have it fixed. I don't have $3000 dollars to spend on something that Toyota should take care of themselves because of a flaw in their car's design. I don't have the money to spend, but I also don't want to die! please do something about this.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Dec 192013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving on crowed road (RT7 fairfax va) ABS, brake, check engine and other warning lights came on. Car was very difficult to drive and stop. Almost went into a crash while trying to stop. The next day lights went off. Then came on 2 days later. This was the 4th incident the dealer could not replicate the incident.. I understand looking at your web site Toyota has a defective part which they refuse to recall" I understand it is a faulty actuator? when will a recall be issued" this is a dangerous situation.

- Ashbrun, VA, USA

Aug 012013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The "check vsc system" light came on as well as the parking brake symbol, tire stability symbol, etc. The brake pressure has been reduced. I took it to the dealership and they said I have to replace the ABS actuator with a cost of $3300 plus.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Feb 192014

Camry Hybrid

I was driving at approximately 65mph on the interstate when the vsc warning came on my instrument panel along with the parking brake indicator light, the low tire pressure warning light, the ABS warning light, and the traction control light. I immediately pulled over and did not notice any hesitation in the braking system. Since I was on a trip home, I continued my trip. Throughout the trip I noticed that the braking became more difficult, in that I had to apply more pressure to the brake pedal in order to stop. I took the car to my Toyota dealership where they diagnosed the problem as being a leak in the brake actuator. They quoted me a $3000 cost estimate and informed me that the car is unsafe to drive due to the unpredictable braking. This seems like a problem that many Camry hybrid owners are having. I am fortunate to have arrived home safely!

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Feb 222014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Purchased 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid on 2/19/14. On 2/22/14 I was driving 52 mph on a freeway at 0 grade when check vsc system notification, ABS, brake, master warning and traction control lights all came on. When attempting to brake while exiting the freeway, the brakes did not work adequately when depressed to stop. I had to depress fully to the floor in order to bring the vehicle to a complete stop. It also took over 80 yards to bring the vehicle to a complete stop. I cruised through a red light due to this-I am very fortunate not to have been in an accident or worse, killed. Vehicle is now parked in driveway and is not driven. Toyota needs to address this danger to life.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jan 102014

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph in the rain, the vehicle lost power and every light on the instrument panel illuminated. The contact stated that he tried to restart the vehicle numerous times but the vehicle restarted after the third try. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that they could not diagnose the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 139,000. Updated 04/25/2014

- Cincinnatti, OH, USA