Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 4 of 8)

Aug 152013

Camry Hybrid

After starting the vehicle and putting it in drive, I take my foot off the brake and the car lurches forward several yards, a bunch of warning lights flash on and the "check vsc system" message comes up (only on this last time). The brakes do not respond and steering is very difficult. Then after a few seconds, all the warning lights go off and everything is fine. This has happened 4 times. I'm grateful it's only occurred in parking lots but after reading about this happening to others, I'm very afraid this will happen at higher speeds. The dealership can't replicate my experience so they say everything is fine. When I ask about actuator issues that others have had, they deny any knowledge of a problem.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Dec 282013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was pulling into a parking space (in a parking garage) and when I attempted to brake, the car continued to accelerate. It was finally stopped when it smashed into steel cables in front of the parking space.

- Oberlin, OH, USA

Jan 062014

Camry Hybrid

Check vsc light, brake light, stability light all flash and ABS doesn't work.

- Prairie Village, KS, USA

Mar 232014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I have been using this Camry since mid 2006. So far it has not had many major issues. However out of the blue on March 23rd 2014, when I was planning to drive to a temple almost 50 miles from my house with my wife, 2 month old daughter, mother and mother-in-law in the car, just as we pulled out of the drive way, the check vsc message came on and the brake light, the car slipping light and the bas lights came on the dash and as I tried to brake, the brakes completely failed. Luckily since I was only rolling out of my drive way (in reverse), the car only rolled a little bit and there was no cross traffic on the road. I had to press my parking brakes to bring the car to a halt. I was scared to death with my family members in the car there was no way I was driving it in that condition. I tried shutting off the car and waiting for 5 minutes before turning it on.the message came on again and the brakes were unresponsive. I immediately moved my family to another car to continue our trip. I then cautiously moved the car back on to the driveway with my left leg on the emergency brakes so that I don't run into my house. After searching the web and seeing many such reports, the next day (today 3/24) I tried to move the car again and see if the message disappeared. However it was there and when I reversed a little bit, suddenly the message and the lights disappeared and the brakes were working as normal. I am still not driving the car, thankfully I have 3 cars so I am using the other cars. I hope Toyota does a recall on this because I don't want to spend $3500+ on a car that may not be more than $8000 value today. I was planning to get a 2014 sienna soon but reading about the safety issues with Toyota's my faith and loyalty in this brand is now severely shaken.

- Brea, CA, USA

Mar 212014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

We'll this has been happening for several months. My whole dash is lit up with brake warnings and check vsc on my information panel. A loud solid beep comes and goes. It stays more than it's gone today. Basically from time to time my brakes just won't work properly. They are hard to push and it's almost as if it's pumping itself. Then, when the ABS starts to work, there is a loud thud and a jerk that feels as if as if I am being rear ended. I never know when my brakes are going to work properly. Sometimes I have come close to hitting someone, running through red lights, because when they aren't working properly, the stop time is way longer. It is a very scary thing. I will be paying to have my car repaired next week. It is going to cost me 3500 dollars. Which 3300 is the part.. this part has been redesigned, that in itself speaks volumes as to weather or not Toyota knows what is going on. I have also read that this part for this car is under investigation by the NHTSA. As of now my only hope is to recover my losses if there is a recall. There should be!!! this is very unsafe and not at all normal.

- Bessemer, AL, USA

Mar 112014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving on the service road of the interstate highway approximately 20 mph. I felt the car jerk forward slightly followed by numerous warning indicator lights including brake light, check vsc system and ABS. I immediately tried to brake because there was a car approximately 10 feet in front of me. The brake pedal would not depress. It felt as if the brakes had gone out. The lights then disappeared a few minutes later and brakes worked properly. I had just purchased the car six days earlier. Interestingly, when I test drove the car, the same event happened, but I was tapping my brakes during a slow right turn yielding to traffic, and didn't notice the loss of brakes. 2 events in 6 days. My car is now at the Toyota service center. I am afraid to drive it with this intermittent brake issue. I have to believe based on reading other complaints and recalls that Toyota is aware of this issue and isn't properly concerned about expediting the recall. This is a serious issue with potential deadly consequences. I hope the recall is issued soon. My car is not drivable in it's current defective condition.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 012013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was turning into my office parking lot when my "check vsc system", brake light, stability control light, etc came on. Immediately, my brakes were practically gone and fortunately nobody was coming the other direction or I wouldn't have been able to stop. Over the next few months, this same thing happened every few days, mostly when driving around 50mph but it would go away and be back to normal, usually within a few minutes. Eventually, the lights came on and this time stayed on (they've been on for a few weeks now), but the brakes seem to be working fine. However, I'm scared that they will give out. I've done some research on this and I believe there is already an investigation underway. I just wanted to add my name/complaint to the list. This is absolutely a safety hazard that will result in deaths if not recalled. I've read that some people who have had this fixed at the dealership or a repair shop are paying around $3000 dollars to have it fixed. I don't have $3000 dollars to spend on something that Toyota should take care of themselves because of a flaw in their car's design. I don't have the money to spend, but I also don't want to die! please do something about this.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Mar 052014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

As I was slowing for a stop sign, the check vsc system light came on and I had to push harder on the brakes than I normally do. I turned the car off and after a short time restarted it and the car proceeded normally. About two weeks later as I was driving about 50 mph, the brake, vsc, and ABS warning lights all came on. I pulled into a turn lane and slowed to a stop. Again I had to push the pedal harder than normal.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Feb 282014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Driving down the freeway in the rain an extremely loud alarm went off and the vsc, brake, ABS, and triangle lights were on without my foot being on the brake pedal. The car would not stop and fortunately I was able to slow down without incident. I took the car to Toyota on the following Monday in dry weather and was getting off the freeway and the left front brake locked up and skidded 30 feet. This time I almost hit 2 cars but was able to steer clear. The dealer told me it was the actuator. This is the 3rd time this car was in for those lights going off and disables the power generators for help in slowing down. It also happens in the car wash. I have never felt the ABS work on this car since I've owned it. It always set the code and disables it. It's in the shop right now as I'm writing this waiting for me to say fix it for $3000. ? I was hoping NHTSA would investigate this car before it's fixed to see the problem everybody is complaining about. My wife says she will never drive this car again after its fixed. It was a very frightening situation.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Jan 302014

Camry Hybrid

Check vsc light with intermittent loss of braking. Toyota says needs new ABS actuator at over $2500.

- Odessa, TX, USA

Mar 012014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving with my wife in our 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid on a surface street, I applied the brakes and realized that the car was not slowing down. The brakes had failed, and when I looked at the dashboard, the display said, "check vsc system". the lights for the "brake" and the ABS lights were also illuminated. Luckily we did not have any cars immediately in front of us, or to the right, so we were able to change lanes and exit on to a side road. The brake system came back online after about 10 seconds, and we were once again able to slow the car down. This was a extremely terrifying experience, and I have since then found out that many others have faced the same problem, on the same make and model. This has happened a few different times in the past to both my wife and myself, but fortunately we were backing out of a parking spot whenever it happened. This prompted us to take our car in to the dealer and asked them to check the brake system. We have also asked the dealer to check the brake system whenever we have taken the car in for routine maintenance. On both occasions, the dealer has never detected any issue with the braking system, and we have continued driving our car unaware of the potential risk. We need to use our car, but are unable to because it is now a safety hazard. I urge Toyota to issue a recall and fix this problem immediately as it directly impacts human lives. After researching this issue, I have found that the cost to fix it is between $2500 and $3000. Our car is nearing 7 years old, and the cost of the repair is nearly 30% of the car's worth. It is ridiculous to expect a consumer to foot the cost of this bill, when instead it should be Toyota's responsibility, due to the fact that this is a manufacturer defect and is a risk to people's lives.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Dec 192013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving on crowed road (RT7 fairfax va) ABS, brake, check engine and other warning lights came on. Car was very difficult to drive and stop. Almost went into a crash while trying to stop. The next day lights went off. Then came on 2 days later. This was the 4th incident the dealer could not replicate the incident.. I understand looking at your web site Toyota has a defective part which they refuse to recall" I understand it is a faulty actuator? when will a recall be issued" this is a dangerous situation.

- Ashbrun, VA, USA

Mar 062014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Started car up and "check vsc system" signal comes on, after doing research turns out thousands are having this issue. It does not show up on a computer. I contacted Toyota and they told me it will cost 2,800. I feel this is an issue they know about because some customers say their replacement part looks nothing like the regular. Now the car shakes when it brakes.

- Chester , VA, USA

Mar 052014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated while driving approximately 45 mph, the brake pedal was applied numerous times before the vehicle would respond. In addition, the ABS and vsc warning indicators were illuminated. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 111,000.

- Crawfordville, FL, USA

Oct 232013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving home from work and brake to make a turn into the gate leading to my home and the brakes failed, even though the brake peddle was depressed to the floor. The car failed to slow or stop, thankfully there wasn't anyone in front of me or I would have definitely rear-ended them. The vehicle eventually stopped more than 400 meters away with me pumping the brakes! at the time vsc, ABS & brake lights lit up the dash. I contacted Toyota and inquired whether they were aware of this problem and they stated emphatically "no". after running diagnostic on the vehicle, I was informed that I had to pay $3000 to fix it. I couldn't afford to fix the car then so we used my daughters vehicle. Last month I paid $3200 to have the car fixed! I also went online to find out if there were other people having this problem and found numerous complaints, including actual accidents and near misses like mine. There is definitely a problem with the 2007 Camry hybrid braking system and Toyota needs to issue a recall and fix the problem before lives are lost. They also need to refund those who have had to shell out this exorbitant amount of money to fix their defective part. Brakes are a necessity and these are all accidents waiting to happen! Toyota needs to held accountable...yet again for their defective braking system. We definitely don't have to wait for people to die or accidents to happen before they fix the problem.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Mar 032014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I turned on my car after dropping my daughter to school in the morning (around 8:30 am). I noticed the dash board is showing "check vsc system" and the brake warning light is on. I tried to drive in slow speed (10 mph) and pressed on brake but the car is not stopping as fast as I expect. I tried to drive up to about 10mph again and applied brake; the result is same: Car fails to stop fast. The warning lights were still on at this point. I pulled over by the curb, opened the hood and visually inspected levels of brake fluid. Fluid level looked normal. When I sat back in the driving seat, I noticed all the warning lights are off. Then tried driving and applied brake. Everything is normal. I scheduled an appointment with the dealership for Wednesday 3/5/2014. I suspect something is not right with my vehicle.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Sep 192013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Vsc lights plus all warning lights come on. Bell sounds and brakes essentially fail. Toyota quoted $2800. This issue was reported prior to my extended warranty expiring however the issue was not diagnosed by Toyota until after expiration of the warranty. This is a very dangerous issue that should be corrected free of charge.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Aug 012013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The "check vsc system" light came on as well as the parking brake symbol, tire stability symbol, etc. The brake pressure has been reduced. I took it to the dealership and they said I have to replace the ABS actuator with a cost of $3300 plus.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Nov 062013

Camry Hybrid

I started my car one morning, and several warning lights came on: (emergency) brake light, red warning light, yellow warning light, traction control light and ABS light. This warning came and went intermittently for some time, and now seems to be a permanent problem. The brakes feel jagged while pressing lightly, almost like the brake pads are gone, and the rotors are uneven. A dealership in Oklahoma identified the problem to be with the "accumulator" for the ABS system. This part and the labor to put it in will run me nearly $3000, a sum far too many car owners cannot afford, including myself. Toyota has insisted that because my the part is out of 3yr/36000 mile warranty, they will not help in the cost of this repair. Meanwhile, Toyota has changed the original oem part, a tacit acceptance that the original is flawed, and needed to be re-engineered. I cannot believe the amount of people who have reported the same exact problem online with no recourse but to pay a phenomenal sum to have a part replaced that is known to have a dangerous defect.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Feb 252014

Camry Hybrid

I turned on my car and I noticed a "check vsc system" light come on along with the "brake" light. I made sure my emergency brake was off and the warning lights remained on. I pulled away from my house and noticed that every time I went to brake, my brake felt hard and I could barely get it to move. I got about a mile away from my house and about 50 feet from an intersection I went to slow down, but my brake was still hard and when I tried to brake it failed to work for about 5 seconds until it finally kicked in. There were no cars in front of me, otherwise I would have probably hit a car for sure. I made sure to keep my distance for the rest of my trip. On my way home from work I noticed the "check vsc system" and "brake" light were no longer on, and my brake felt back to normal.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA