Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 3 of 8)

May 022014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving up a slight incline the indicating lights on the dashboard suddenly illuminated - red brake system warning icon, red ABS light, red brake light, red master warning light. In addition, the screen displayed "check vsc system" and an audible warning tone sounded. From about 6 months prior to this incident, the brake actuator motor would cycle on/off frequently after a trip. Over time, the duration of the on and off cycling after a trip gradually increased from about 30 seconds to approximately 90 seconds. The actuator motor also cycled when opening the door before a trip. Other symptoms that surfaced prior to this incident included frequent on/off cycling of the brake actuator motor at traffic light stops and an audible "barking" sound from under the hood. Research on the world-wide-web revealed many owners with same symptoms. Because the engine in the hybrid cars turn off during normal operation, engine vacuum is not readily available for the power brake assistance as found in conventional automobiles. Consequently, the failure of the power assist is due to the inadequate design of the hybrid system. Furthermore, I understand that the replacement brake actuator part that Toyota provides for the 2007 and 2008 Camry hybrids has a different part no. Than the original one provided. This strongly suggests that Toyota recognizes its original brake actuator has a faulty design. I have not driven the car since this incident for fear of losing the power assist on the brakes. The local Toyota dealer has not replied to my inquiry on this matter. I also have a 2009 Camry hybrid and although the brake actuator cycles on and off after opening the door before a trip and after the system is shutdown following the trip, the cycle is very short and the duration is no longer than 30 seconds. I do not have any brake problems with the 2009 model.

- Aiea, HI, USA

Apr 092014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

First incident of brake failure happened on the drive way of my home. Starting the car for the morning commute, had the "check vsc" sign and other warning lights lit on the dash. I tried pressing the brake pedal and shutting and restarting the car. After a few tries, the warnings were gone and break paddle felt normal. Second incident happened while I was on a freeway traveling at 65 miles an hour. All of a sudden the dash board lit up with warning lights ad I lost the braking power. Luckily, I was able pullover without an incident. If the investigation on this subject has stated as of Jan 2014, when should we expect to hear from the Agency on the outcome?

- Frisco, TX, USA

Jan 162013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The vsc light appeared & the car lost brakes. Like others, I have experienced failure of the brake actuator / boost accumulator. Although the brakes work to a degree, there is no boost. Despite application of my maximum effort to depress the brake pedal, stopping distances are very long and stopping speeds are very slow. I consider the car dangerous to drive & has been shelved pending NHTSA review. Reports are that Toyota has known of this problem & has refused to address it NHTSA should require that Toyota replace this part at no cost to the consumer in view of Toyota unconscionable behavior.

- Merion, PA, USA

May 102014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Driving along a city road in my 2007 Camry hybrid (mileage approx. 49K) at about 25-30 mph when I saw the "check vsc system" and "check hybrid system" warnings on mil and simultaneously got no response from pressing either the brake or ignition pedal. Car would not go and would not stop. I coasted to the shoulder and the car slowed to a stop (fortunately in a legal parking spot!). I am having it towed to the dealer tomorrow. I will provide an update when I know more.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

May 112014

Camry Hybrid

I have been having off and on occurrences of the "check vsc system" warning with brake, ABS, etc. The cost to repair is over $3,000. For the brake actuator / accumulator. Brakes still sort of work but it is difficult to stop in a hurry and I'm not sure if I'll totally lose the ability to stop the car in the near future. This is a pretty nasty problem that seems to be common among all of the Camry hybrids of this vintage. I hope a recall is issued soon and that Toyota can work with customers on this given that the problem costs 10% of what the car was worth brand new to fix.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

May 072014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I wasn't driving my car when all the lights came on. But every brake light on the dash came on and a message read check vsc system. I had noticed that there was a sound the car makes when the car is not on. But I thought it was the car identifying the key was close because I always had the key with me when I would hear this sound. The mechanic who told me what the problem was told me that sound is related to this problem. The only place to get the part is through Toyota and estimated cost for the part is $2500. If this is a recurring problem that Toyota is aware of why are they not made to recall this item. This is a safety issue. Who has that kind of money to make a repair ?

- Alexandria, AL, USA

Feb 012014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While traveling on the interstate, about 80% of my brakes gave out and I lost stability. My ABS indicator and the message "check vsc system" came on. As I came to a stop, my brakes jerked a bit and I came to a sudden and aggressive stop. I turned the car off and restarted it, and everything drove fine. This same thing happened sporadically about 20 times over the next couple of months, but now my ABS light and check vsc indicator are on at all times. My brakes are diminished most of the time down to 50%, and every now and again, my car will come to a really hard stop as I brake. I had a Toyota dealer look at it, and I was told my actuator was out and would need to be replaced at a cost of $3,000. That is just for the part, not including labor. I only paid $15,000 for the car. On top of that, they aren't even using the 2007 model actuators, they are using a later model, which tells me they know something is wrong with the 2007.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 202010

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Check vsc system warning, ABS, multi lights on. When buzz sound continually arms, it is so hard to apply brake pedal to stop completely. The brakes are out of control. It is a defect from manufacture, not a using consumer. The brake system is so important when moving. Please recall to fix before causing deathly accident.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Sep 202010

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Nov 082013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Please investigate the ABS system on the hybrid 2007 Camry. I almost killed myself about 2 months ago. I was going about 60mph when I hit on the brakes to slow down on a curve the brakes would not respond, it was like the brakes were really hard to step on, and to control the steering wheel. The lights to check the vsc system came on, check ABS, the emergency brake light. After a few seconds everything would go back to normal. I have done extensive research and there are so many complaints with the same problems on the 2007 Camry hybrid. Please do something about it so Toyota can recall and fix the problem before someone gets killed. After taking it to Toyota for the last 5 months without finding a problem, because the computer would not register anything and they couldn't duplicate the problem, now they are saying its the ABS system and it cost $4,000 to fix it. They are not doing anything to investigate the problem because they claim that not enough people have registered complaints. So I ask how many people have to die before we get any attention.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Apr 182014

Camry Hybrid

ABS actuators is failures on 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid 71K miles: ABS light is on, the E-brake light is on even when the E-brake is disengaged, and the car is saying to check the vsc system. The brakes are also noticeably weaker to the extent that I am afraid to drive my kids!!!!!

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 252014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving on street that had several potholes in both lanes. Lanes were blocked by barrels because of the roadwork being done. There were too many potholes to Dodge and none seemed significantly bigger than the rest. Since I was unable to swerve, because of traffic going the other way in the lane beside me, I hit a series of potholes. After the last one, which seemed a little bigger than the others, I heard a beep and the display read, "check vsc, " which I know from the last time this happened means "vehicle stability control." The parking brake light seemed to come on at that time. I could not get the car to roll any but instead had to hit the accelerator to move at all. The brake was not as powerful, so I had to be sure to brake in plenty of time. The steering seemed more restricted also, and there was a high-pitched buzzing that continued all the time unless the car was off with all doors shut. I live close by, so I was able to get my car back home but did not think it was safe to drive it to the dealership. I had aaa tow it a few days later. They told me at the dealership that a part of the anti-lock brake system would have to be replaced. They later found that one of the lines involved in keeping the engine cool was leaking and the water pump had to be replaced.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Apr 192014

Camry Hybrid

A week before the incident, heard a humming noise coming from the brake distributor area of the engine when the car was started. It continued at about 1-minute intervals while the car was in motion and also when parked and turned off. It would end within about 5 minutes of being turned off. It seemed as though the brakes were trying to engage or there was insufficient pressure to them. A day before the incident, when the brakes were engaged while driving, there would be a chirping noise as well. Then while driving on the highway, every brake-related warning light on the dashboard lit up and a message appeared saying, "maintenance required. Check vsc system." The brakes didn't fail, though, so I was able to make it home. This is not the first time I have had vsc system issues in this car. 3 years ago the very same thing happened, again on the highway, where the brake warning lights lit up on the dashboard and the vsc warning message came on as well. For about 3 weeks before that, the brakes were chirping when engaged and also when the car was shut off and parked, they would chirp for a long time as if they were trying to engage then too. It cost me $2100 to replace the module. Now it's happening again. I am not prepared to risk brake failure nor pay an exorbitant amount of money on the braking system for this car, again. Toyota needs to take responsibility for poor, shoddy design and fix this issue immediately!

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Apr 132014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

On April 12, 2014, as the car was being driven at around 30-35 miles per hour, I was approaching a stop sign and began pressing down on the brakes to come to a stop. As I pressed on the brakes, they seemed not to work. I had to keep pushing down on the brakes with force to finally get try to get the car to stop, at which point the brake lights sensor, the ABS sensor, and the vsc sensors all lit up on the dashboard. As I was trying to get the car to stop, the car began swerving and I couldn't get immediate control of the car. The car felt as though it was sliding, the stability of the car was compromised. I honestly thought I was going to crash. On April 17th, 2014, in a separate incident, as I was pulling into a parking lot, I began to slow down, only to apply my brakes and they appeared to not work. Once again I had to really push down on the brakes for them to finally work. Again, all of the lights lit up on the dashboard (brakes, ABS, vsc). It was also difficult to control the car and again, I felt as though I was going to crash.

- San Dimas, CA, USA

Apr 072014

Camry Hybrid

Driving on freeway at approximately 45 miles per hour during rush hour. Brake lights appeared ahead, so I applied brakes. My vehicle failed to stop or slow down and I noticed increased resistance on the brake pedal. I continued to apply pressure to the brake pedal and the vehicle eventually stopped. Luckily, there was a good distance between me and the car ahead of me, and I was eventually able to stop and avoid collision. I brought the car to the shop to be checked out. The shop called Toyota, and they knew right away exactly what part needed to be replaced. Price tag of $2600 for just the part. A week prior to this incident, dash lights came on with warning to "check vsc system". brought the car in for oil change and to check the warning light. No problem was detected, the warning light was reset. This light had come on again just prior to the brake failure.

- Wyoming, MN, USA

Sep 272013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

At a parking spot, full stop, suddenly the vehicle surged and hit a cement post. Air bags did not deploy. Damage to vehicle was over $7500 left knee/shin hit dash due to knee air bag not deploying. Injury was not reported as it did not show up until later.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 052014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

For the last couple of months have noticed the brake pedal "pulsing" on starting the car and sometimes on stopping at intersections. Then the brake warning light came on intermittently whilst driving but with no impact on the brakes and then whilst exiting the freeway all the brake warnings lights and check vsc system message was displayed with loss of assisted braking. Took it straight to the dealership but on braking to enter the inspection bay all warning lights went out. Toyota technician couldn't find an error code in the history and after driving 15 miles the warning lights didn't come back on. Technician did comment that they'd had other Camry hybrids with similar issues and said the ABS actuator needed replacing at a cost of $3,400! I was told that Toyota are using a different part on later model Camry hybrids which in itself seems an acknowledgement that the part is faulty.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Apr 082014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Upon starting the car, the check vsc alert appeared on the dash indicator screen. User manual instructed me to drive to nearest service center. This is not a safe procedure, as the braking system was near complete malfunction. Upon research online, it came to my attention that this is a common problem. The total cost of repair will near $2500. The service technician also informed me that there is a system update for this problem, indicating that Toyota is aware of the malfunction. Hopefully this complaint will assist in the issuing of a recall for the brake actuator or related vsc system that has been such a persistent issue. Thank you.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Mar 102014

Camry Hybrid

I was driving my 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid and went to brake and my dash emergency lights, brake light, check vsc light, ABS, and traction control light went on and my brakes did not work. I was able to slow down without incident. Took it to two mechanics then finally to a Toyota dealership. The Toyota dealership could not fins anything wrong with it and sent me on my way. Two weeks later it happened again. My wife was driving just over 40 mph and applied the brakes and they did not work. She was able to swerve into a parking lot and cruise to a stop. The brakes work intermittently and come and go. Moving the car to a parking spot a few minutes later the brakes did not work when I started to move the car, but while moving it the warning lights went off and the brakes started to work again. This is a recurring problem that you do not know when the brakes will go out. The is a serious issue that needs to be looked at immediately.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Feb 122014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

My cars brake system is making a clunking noise, and I'm seeing a loss of breaking ability. While at a stop light with the brakes depressed it is particularly noticeable and loud. Finally the check vsc system warning came on the dash so I took it to the dealer for diagnoses. The diagnosis was that the ABS actuator is making the noise and the accumulator pressure is lower than spec. The quote to repair it was $5104.61.

- Holualoa, HI, USA