Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 7 of 8)

May 092013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving at approximately 20 miles per hour and coming to a stop when the vsc warning light, brake warning light, and tire pressure warning lights came on. The light remained on after restarting the engine and the brake pedal became more resistant to braking. The problem in my car actually began months before the warning lights came on and was not correctly diagnosed at the dealership. Early signs were excessive clicking sounds coming from the brake actuator assembly on the right front area of the engine compartment, and an intermittent hydraulic sound when the brake pedal was kept depressed. After the repair I found that this problem is common on the 2007 Camry hybrid. The repair involved replacement of the brake actuator assembly and was extremely expensive.....updated 08/01/13 there seemed to be a delay in stopping the vehicle after the warning lights came on. Prior to that, the consumer heard clicking sounds. However, before the warning lights came on, the stopping seemed normal.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 082012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

'check vsc system' along with brake light warning, ABS warning, and pretty much every other warning light possible came on my 2007 Camry hybrid around June of 2012. I hear pulsating under the hood constantly & when I turn on my car while in park with my foot on brake my car will begin to roll backwards by itself, I attempt to pump the breaks but it never works. I have to wait about 5-10 sec like there is a delay with my brake system when I first turn on my car. Once the brakes finally kick in my car will either jolt in very drastic way like I slammed on my brakes even though my foot has been on the brakes the whole time or it will throttle back on its own like I'm pushing on the gas. I will never park on a hill in fear of my car just taking off on its own with no brakes to stop it. I have to literally turn on my car and wait for my breaks to kick in before I can reverse. It is very scary! it has happened to me once as well when I was driving and I coming to a stop, my brakes just went out and kicked back in on its own. I brought my car to a Toyota dealership to have them check it out. They brought back a quote of $5,900! instead of trying one thing at a time they just wanted to replace everything at once. My car was right at the 5 year warranty mark but because I bought my car in guam they couldn't tell if my car was still under warranty and I would have to pay out of pocket. 2007 only 45000 miles with a 6 thousand dollar repair! that is insane let alone it is a hybrid feature & a safety issue! to me this should be covered under warranty no matter what! look online you can see hundreds of people complaining about this exact issue! people have even made websites for it! I'm very disappointed in Toyota. I'm stuck with this car that I cant afford to fix! so I drive every day in what seems to me like a death trap! it's just not right.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Nov 012012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The"check vsc system" sensor came on while I was driving. I was doing approximately 45 mph on the road. The road conditions were good and I keep up with maintenance. The ABS failure light, brake and warning icons. I have it checked out and I'm told by Toyota car's ABS accumulator system and water pump must be replaced and that they hadn't have such issues before. After much research, this is a common complaint among Toyota Camry hybrid owners. This seems to be a design flaw and worse, my break pads and tires are brand new. This shouldn't be an issue but breaks pulsate and makes the vehicle unsafe as you can't control breaks when needed, especially, while parked on a inclined position. I am very concerned for my safety and the safety of others if my breaks were to fail because Toyota has failed to recognize this as a vital recall repair. Without brakes you can kill or injure someone and that bad water pump can cause your engine to overheat. Please look into this and have Toyota take responsibility for this situation!

- Orlando, FL, USA

Mar 092012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

My '07 Camry hybrid(ch) has started to experience brake failure while driving. The first documented incident: 03/09/12. W/O warning, the ch will shut down and the "check vsc" light appears on the dash. All of the dash lights light up as well. When this happened, there were no brakes, no warning, etc. When I put the car in "park", turned off the vehicle and restarted it, I was able to resume driving. I took it to dealer to have the car diagnosed. The diagnosis: Nothing wrong with the car, brakes, etc(inv.#227594). Over the past 9 months, it has occurred a few more times, usually when the vehicle is pulling out of the garage. When it happens, I turn off the vehicle, restart and go on. On 10/30/12 while my wife was driving 35mph, the car shut down, the "check vsc" light came on and the brakes completely failed. She caught a left turn signal and coasted into a parking lot. Obviously this was horrifying for her and our kids. I called aaa and had the car towed to Toyota. My service advisor(sa) told me they have begun to see this happening a lot and he predicted the ABS brake actuator (ba) failed. I told him about the incident in March, which he acknowledged knowing of. 2 hours later he called to confirm that it was the ba. We spoke about it being a defective part, he agreed and would call and speak to Toyota national(tn)to see if they could help out with the $2200 repair. The next day he told me that tn wouldn't help, and neither would the dealership. My online research discovered many ch have had this problem. I discussed with the sa that if the part is defective and they are seeing more and more of this, what guarantee is there a new ba wouldn't react the same way. He couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't. I declined to have the repair done, aaa towed vehicle to my home. The sa seemed certain that a recall was coming. The car is garaged, I have the repair est/document. Updated 07/30/13

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Sep 172012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Vsc system, check engine, and emergency brake lights come on at the same time the brakes stopped working properly. I was braking and the brake peddle pushed back at me, releasing the brakes. When I continued to depress the brakes, the usual resistance and braking power was gone. I had to press down as hard as I could to get the car to stop. This is intermittent and tends to happen when the car is cold. Dealership could not discover a problem as the computer did not record an error. Internet research indicated other Toyota hybrid owners experienced the same problem and determined the cause was the stroke sensor. When I returned the vehicle to a different dealership, they insisted I change the tires. The problem continues to occur. Updated 07/30/13 updated 8/22/13

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Oct 052012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While my wife was driving the car a warning ("check vsc system") appeared in the status screen and about a minute after, another message appeared ("check hybrid system"). then, the car stopped running. The impulse allowed for driving the car to the road side. Tried to power it back without success. It was required to tow the car home and then to the dealership for diagnostic. Prior this incident there were no previous warnings or signs. Update: Today received communication from the dealership that diagnostic test confirmed that the problem was the hybrid system inverter module and that has to be replaced.

- Santa Isabel, PR, USA

Aug 102012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

On August 10, 2012, I was driving my Toyota Camry hybrid 2007 on the freeway at 55 mph and it started slow down. I pulled over to the emergency lane and the engine shut down. The dashboard indicated to check "vsc hybrid system." Sandag towed me off the highway for safety. Next, I had the car towed to chula vista Toyota. The service department said that it was under warranty and would be repaired at no cost. A few days later, the service department stated that the inverter needs to be replaced and would cost more than $6000 dollars. I purchased the car less than six months ago, but was denied warranty coverage under the used certified vehicle warranty. The warranty states that the car is covered for 12 months / 12,000 miles from the date of purchase.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Dec 142011

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Minutes after leaving home while traveling 10 mph in the neighborhood, all of the warning lights on the dash illuminated - brake, vsc, tire, etc. The car lost acceleration, the steering became "gummy", and the brakes became "mushy". it took constant, complete depression of the brake pedal to stop the car over a length of about 25 feet. I took the car to 355 Toyota in rockville, md where it was hooked to a computer, but no problem was detected. The problem occurred a second and third time, once minutes after startup and once while traveling at 30 mph not far from my destination, thankfully. After parking the car for 2 hours, the car drove normally. The fourth time this problem occurred, I had just left the capital beltway and was in the process of braking in order to safely round a cloverleaf onto river road. The brakes were barely responsive, and I narrowly missed crashing into the cars in front of me. I took the car back to 355 Toyota on December 27. The car was kept for 24 hours. The mechanics could find nothing wrong with it. I was told this was the very first time a problem such as mine has been reported to 355 Toyota. A google query proved that this problem is more pervasive than the dealership knows or is willing to admit knowing. Updated 7/31/13 the consumer experienced another episode and the vehicle was left at the dealer, where the tech experienced the problem himself. The technician added brake fluid. Since the brake fluid was added, the vehicle has performed perfectly.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Apr 222011

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

We own a 2007 Camry hybrid. About noon central time today, my wife was attempting to park the car at a local gym. As she slowly turned into the parking position, the engine raced very fast and the car lurched forward past the endline of the parking position and stopped after jumping over the cement barrier. She described stepping on the brake and the car did stop but unfortunately not until it had gone well past the endline for the parking position.

- Plano, TX, USA

Dec 202010

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hv. While driving 2 mph, the contact heard a loud roaring sound and the vehicle accelerated. The vehicle stopped when it crashed into a tree. There were no injuries. The vehicle had not been repaired. The contact stated that the manufacturer would inspect the vehicle January 17, 2011. The contact stated both recalls 09V388000 and 10V017000 (vehicle speed control: Accelerator pedal) were performed in 2010. The failure mileage was approximately 54,000.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Aug 282010

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact was braking from 25 mph and approaching a stop sign when the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The contact engaged the brakes with more extreme force yet the vehicle continued to accelerate and crashed into another vehicle. There were no injuries. A police report was available. The vehicle sustained damages to the driver side of her vehicle. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 38,147 and the current mileage was 38,247. Updated 01/13/11 updated 01/27/11.

- Pottsville, PA, USA

Apr 172010

Camry Hybrid

On April 17, 2010 I was driving my 2007 Camry hybrid. When I tried to apply my brakes, the brakes would not work. When I pushed the pedal more, the car locked down. I looked at the information center on the dash and it had a warning "check vsc system." I immediately took the car to the Toyota dealership in spartanburg, SC. The gave me a rental and told me they had to do further diagnostics. After 12 days, my car is ready but they can give me no reason why the system failed. They replaced a sensor, but told me this issue never happens. I called Toyota and they are not helping me with this matter at all. I am afraid to drive the car. I could have crashed. My daughter used the car about a month ago on a trip and she would have crashed if this had happened.

- Spartanburg, SC, USA

Mar 122010

Camry Hybrid

Had accident with '07 Camry hybrid. Recalls done 5 days previously. Applied brake to stop at light. Car accelerated and struck car in front of me. No injuries to anyone including my 97 yr. Old father tow driver said RPM's were "way up" when he drove car to put it on flatbed. Recalled incident of six months previously, after accident, when I attempted to brake at corner before making left turn. Car accelerated and I shot across street frantically applying brake and stopped just short of a line of parked cars. Thought little more about the incident as I believed, at the time, that I had mixed up the accelerator and brake pedals. Driving a rental at present, car is on hold before repair so it can be inspected by Toyota. The subrogation dept. Of my ins. Company has attempted to contact Toyota to discuss a number of claims by their customers and Toyota has not responded so far.

- Signal Hill, CA, USA

Sep 102007

Camry Hybrid

This complaint is about a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. I had many unusual occurrences when I first purchased my vehicle. None of them could be resolved because the Toyota diagnostics said they did not occur. I assure you they did. The recent events surrounding Toyota vehicles and at least what has been reported in the press regarding the inability to duplicate or see that the problem occurred is exactly what has happened in Toyota vehicles. The dealer and manufacturer therefore conclude it is operator error. So when a malfunction occurs-probably caused by software-it is compounded by an additional software issue that will not allow anyone to figure out what happened. I am so disappointed in my vehicle as a result and even more disappointed in the people I turned over $32,000 to since everything was blamed on operator error. I assure you there was no operator error as is probably the case now with recently publicized events. I am convinced the diagnostic software or the interface between Toyota's software and the diagnostic software should be checked out.

- Deerfield, IL, USA

Mar 042010

Camry Hybrid

-the contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. While driving approximately 45 mph the brake pedal was engaged and the vehicle continued to accelerate. The vehicle was able to slow down after several attempts. The vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The failure mileage was 34,000. The current mileage was 35,000.

- Indian Trail, NC, USA

Mar 102010

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. While attempting to drive approximately 5 mph into a parking space, there was an unusual increase in the engine rpms. The vehicle abnormally accelerated and proceeded to drive over a curb and crash into a brick building. The driver was not injured. A police report was filed. The failure mileage was 46,840 and the current mileage was unknown.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 192009

Camry Hybrid

On March 19th, 2009 I was driving my 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid and it would not stop. I went through a four way stop and crashed into a ditch. The car was damaged and I ended up going to the hospital and having the car towed. It caused a lot of pain and suffering and expense.

- Hagerstown, IN, USA

Feb 052010

Camry Hybrid

Cruise control set @ 70 mph speed limit on I-85 when a tractor-trailer truck rapidly closed the interval behind as I started up an incline. Without warning my speed quickly dropped and the truck moved dangerously close. Stepped on the accelerator to increase speed and within a second or two the cruise control further increased my speed. Do not know what the speed increase was because I was paying attention to the interval between the truck and my car and not what registered on my speedometer. After going over the hill's crest there was state patrol car in the median who clocked my speed at 80mph. Had not previously experienced speed drops and surges with the cruise control and was much more attentive to the actions of the cruise control for the remaining part of the trip. There were multiple instances where the speed would drop from six to seven miles per hour as the car started up an incline and then would rapidly accelerate, overshooting the setting by three to four miles per hour (once over five) before ultimately dropping back to the set speed. This is both a safety concern as well as uncomfortable when there is a series of rolling hills. The Toyota dealer could find no problem with the cruise control, finding no dtc fault codes and no abnormal findings after force testing the cruise system. I suspect the issue may relate to the electronic controls for the hybrid system. As the car went down hill, the gasoline engine appeared to be in "idle/coasting" state and the gps/energy display showed no energy flow to either the drive wheels or the battery from the engine. The electric motor, however, was in charging mode.

- Lake Bluff, IL, USA

Dec 202009

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact was driving approximately 55 mph with the activation of the cruise control. The engine revved excessively high out of control. The failure occurred twice after traveling for three hours on the highway. When the brake pedal was depressed the driver was able to gain control. The vehicle has not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The current mileage was 15,000. The failure mileage was 14,000.

- Portland, OR, USA

Dec 152009

Camry Hybrid

I was coming out of a bank drive-through when suddenly the 2007 Camry-hybrid, with approximately 34,000 miles ran, did not stop at the exit to the principal street, thankfully no car was coming from that street. It started to run also with difficulty, and the vsc system appeared on the screen. I went directly to the nearest dealer and they said that it was programming issue, they re-program it and that was it. They couldn't explain why it deprogrammed. Eleven months after that event, it happened again. Suddenly, the car wouldn't stop when I hit the brakes, I got really nervous and called a towing company to get it to the dealer. I was at low speed and I could manage to stop. They kept the car for two weeks and couldn't find the problem of why the programming scramble like that, they just reprogram it and that's all for them. In the meantime, I'm scared to death of going to the highway with that car, specially when I think it can combine with the accelerator problem. So far Toyota have not offered me a solution and I'm afraid to use my car for the safety of my kids. Please help by investigating the software on Camry's as well.

- Hormigueros, PR, USA