1. new engine, according to my reputable mechanic (1 reports)
2003 Toyota Corolla engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Corolla:

2003 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

May 232009

Corolla 1.8L

We happily own five Toyota's (4 corollas and a sienna) and just made a deal on a highlander to be received this week, so believe me I have no bias against them. My present problem on our '03 corolla bugs me though. I an not terribly neglectful about checking oil levels, but my son called to tell me that the oil light on the car was flickering and that the car had begun to make a knocking sound. My mechanic now says I need a new engine and that he believes the problem started before the oil got low especially since there was actually a quart and a half left in the pan when I checked it. Looks like a minimum of $2500 worth of trouble on a car that ought to have another 100,000 miles to go. This is why we buy Toyotas, so we don't have to face such expensive problems as these.

- , Choctaw, OK, USA