2003 Toyota Corolla engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Corolla:

2003 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Jul 092008

Corolla LE 1.8L

Have changed oil every 5000 Km since new. At first, oil consumption was approx 1 L/ 10,000K which began in 2006. Oil consumpton got progressivly worse since then. Continued to service every 5000 K. Last oil change was March 2008, the oil level was down 2.5 L. Engine began knocking in middle of June 2008, checked oil which was down 3 L/3500 K since last oil change, engine stopped knocking. Changed oil at 6500 K and only took 3.5 L not 4 so I thought I miss counted the number of liters that I put in or I didn't completely drain the block or, maybe my age is affecting my memory. Two weeks later I get a phone call that the motor is knocking badly and there is no oil showing on the dipstick. It took 3 L to show on the dip stick.

Had the car towed to the Toyota dealership in Nanaimo, they said that it was the first complaint of this kind that they received for this model car.

The cost to repair was estimated at $4500.

They offered my wife $2500 for the broken vehicle for trade in on a new Toyota .

The car is parked.

I have owned Toyota trucks and cars since 1975 and I will likely continue to buy Toyota vehicles in the future but it is obvious that this engine has major issues and one would think that a great company like Toyota would stand behind their product.

It seems that so far I am wrong.

- , Errington, BC, Canada