2005 Toyota Corolla miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Corolla:

2005 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

May 022016

Corolla

I own a 2005 Toyota Corolla. This week I noticed that my air conditioner was blowing hot air. When I had it looked at by a mechanic, I was told that debris got into the condenser and damaged it, requiring a repair. I researched the problem and discovered that Toyota issued technical service bulletin AC002-06 "lower grille mesh protection cover, " which acknowledges that the failure to include a protection cover near the mesh grille has caused debris to get into the air conditioner condenser, and thereby damaging it. Toyota has included the grille protection cover in subsequent Toyota Corolla models, but it refuses to add the cover to the older models or reimburse customers for the expense in replacing damaged condensers that have resulted from this design defect. Toyota issued technical service bulletin AC002-06 "lower grille mesh protection cover

- Kent, WA, USA

Jul 012015

Corolla

Window bolt attached to regulator broke and window won't roll up correctly and rattles. It is the front passenger window. Same issue that was in the 2003 Toyota Corolla model.

- Orem, UT, USA

Aug 282014

Corolla

This problem has occurred frequently since the first event: For no known reason, engine rpms drop to point where vehicle barely moving. Can shut vehicle off and restart and problem goes away. Check engine light comes on but no help in diagnosis. Been to dealer several times. Replaced ECM and tried other possible "fixes". so far, has only occurred in rural areas at speeds of 35 mph or less. Fortunately not much traffic. Check engine light will go off by itself as problem "fixes itself". a potentially dangerous situation but no answers from dealer or manufacturer.

- Merrill, NY, USA

May 162015

Corolla

I was traveling 70 mph on the freeway while a car came to a complete stop in front of me. I slammed on my breaks and got the car to slow down to approximately 55 mph before hitting his car in the back. My head hit the steering wheel from the impact of the crash. The radiator is busted, the bumper came off, my frame was bent, my headlights are off, my car dented so far back the front doors wouldn't open, and my airbags didn't deploy.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

May 162015

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Feb 242012

Corolla

Car was at a dead stop (stop sign) when engine revved and car wanted to accelerate while foot was off gas and on break. Shifted car into park to stop. Shut car off. Third time this has happened in last 12 months.

- Concord, CA, USA

Mar 302010

Corolla 4-cyl

2005 Toyota Corolla. Consumer states issues with air filter. The consumer stated the vehicle would stall at times. The consumer stated after he replaced the air filter he didn't experience any more problems.

- Artemus, KY, USA

Aug 042009

Corolla

Car stalled in the middle of hwy in 2009. No warning lights came on. After diagnoses mechanic provided me a technical bulletin that I have a bad ECM. Took to Toyota and Toyota denied the claim and made me replace a fuel pump instead. Once the fuel pump was replaced the cars still wouldn't run. Another diagnostic indicated it was the ECM, which was covered under warranty. Nothing was wrong with the fuel pump. Toyota did not want to recognize a long standing problem with ecms. 3 mechanics indicated it was the ECM.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Jul 152007

Corolla

I have a 2005 Corolla S. it had a really bad vibration in the dash and could not be detected. The dealer removed the dash numerous times over a 7 week period. The vibration was finally located in the pillar(it was the drain pipe for the sunroof). The dash now has a vibration that at 70 mph sounds like a loud whistle- very annoying. The dealer will not work on it because the original 36,000 mile warranty is past. I believe that the roseburg Oregon dealer should stand behind the fact that they removed the dash enough to cause this vibration.

- Riddle, OR, USA

Mar 262007

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Corolla. When purchasing the vehicle on March 23, 2007 the contact was instructed to collect the keys the following week. The next week, the contact was told to purchase the keys for $200. The current and failure mileages were 35,000. The consumer states when purchasing vehicle the dealer never provided her with the master key to the vehicle, she was instructed by alfredo at the dealership to pick the key up a week later. After 10 days, the consumer did not feel safe and did not trust the dealer. The consumer had the key reprogrammed for safety reasons. The dealer states driver's window molding and coming apart, the dealer checked and advised will call when special order part comes in. The consumer has provided a copy of the invoice. Update 05/04/07

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 172006

Corolla 4-cyl

My 2005 Corolla makes a noise that sounds like an army helicopter is right above the car when the right rear window is rolled down. If it is on the highway the sound becomes unbearable. The sound will disappear if another window is opened at least 4-6 inches.

- Fenton, MO, USA

Apr 012005

Corolla 4-cyl

On hot and humid days, condensation builds up inside the ventilation system. This causes water to pool (and remain pooled) in the ventilation system. As a result severe mildew growth has occurred in ventilation system. This mildew creates and awful sewage smell, and is extremely irritating to my allergies. Dealer sprayed lysol disinfectant in ventilation intake. The problem came back a week later. To this day, I continually must spray lysol in the ventilation system. Many types of mildew can be toxic to any human (not just allergy sufferers), and are *known* to cause cancer, which is very concerning to me. Toyota's "official" solution to this problem is to keep spraying lysol in the ventilation system, and to open the windows when the [sewage] smell becomes unbearable. I personally know other 2005 Corolla owners, and their Corolla's suffer from the same problem. **** cannot provide the VIN as I am away at my first year of college, without my car, and do not have data more specific than what is stated. Feel free to E-mail me if you have any questions.

- Acton, MA, USA