Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2007 Corolla. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2007 Corolla is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models have an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where now the NHTSA data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention. typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to to report your Toyota acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2007 Corolla, our data for the Corolla is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Corolla's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2007 Toyota Corolla drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Corolla:

2007 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Jul 302013

Corolla 4-cyl

Re: Toyota 2007 Corolla: When driving (in reverse) out of our driveway, on several occasions the car would suddenly jerk, emit a lot of fumes, and it would take off on its own. Putting pressure on the brakes would not stop the car- only turning off the ignition key stops the car. Last time this occurred was on November 4, 2014. After driving out of the driveway and changing gears from reverse to drive, the car again jerked, made a left turn, drove across our lawn, through the bushes and to our next door neighbor?S lawn. We are lucky that it did not slam into our house or the electric pole close to our driveway- either one would probably have killed us. The car has its own mind and does not respond to anything that the driver tries to do to stop the car from moving other than turning off the ignition key. The Toyota dealer, of course, asserts that there is nothing wrong with the car.

- Cleveland Heights, OH, USA

Mar 032012

Corolla 4-cyl

Power train:automatic transmission I bought the brand new Corolla 2007. The check engine light was on and off for several months. The error code read P0741. Toyota dealer advised to replace whole transmission. This car was less than 5 years old with 75,000 miles on it. The dealer need to charge $4,000 to replace the transmission.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Jun 192012

Corolla 4-cyl

I was driving uphill on a one-way street in downtown when I saw and heard the sparks about 1 minute apart from each other on the front left side between the crack of the hood, the car lost power and turned off. I started it again, and it only moved about two feet and turned off. The car started to roll back, and the steering wheel locked making it impossible to steer. An unknown driver who was in front of us was merging to park to the right told us to get off because the car was on fire, next the smoke was visible. It began to smell like burned plastic, and then we saw the thick grey smoke coming through the crack of the hood. I pulled the hand emergency brake to stop the car from rolling back down any further. I opened the hood we all got out of the car. I went back inside the car to unhooked the harness off my dog. I was so scared that I couldn't release my dog, and my son's girlfriend helped me, and we got my dog out. My son, his girlfriend and I got the super-size large drink we just bought at mcdonald's and dumped on the fire with the help of the unknown man who got a bucket of some liquid possibly water from the hotel next to us, and the fire was out. I was so terrifying of how rapid my car caught on fire and how fast everything happening. My car was well maintained by Toyota regularly, and the mechanic told us that there is no known reason why the fire started. Toyota has replaced the defected computer twice, the transmission once, I had two electrical problems in the past, and I do not feel safe in a car with so many manufacturers defective parts. Unexplainable fire, is the response I got from the insurance and repair shop which does not make me feel safe to drive a car that could caught fire at any time.

- Imperial Beach, CA, USA

Sep 092011

Corolla 4-cyl

Purchased used 2007 Corolla. (purchased as is no warranty from a used car dealership) one week later check engine light comes on and after checking with dealer I bought it from (ezauto) and transmission shop I got conflicting reports of what was wrong so I took it directly to Toyota and they said I have to have new transmission. Is this covered under some extended warranty or am I responsible for getting it fixed?

- Bartlett, TN, USA

Oct 132010

Corolla 4-cyl

My vehicle becomes disabled while in motion, the check engine light becomes illuminated and the accelerator stops responding. To avoid danger I am forced to pull over immediately or coast to a stop and turn the car off and on several times, often having to wait several minutes before it becomes operational again. The problem is increasing in severity and has gotten to a point where the car is a hazard and therefore is of no use until it is fixed. This problem has been happening every 20-30 miles for the last 6 months or so, but one time the car was able to travel 150 miles without an issue, while other times it will stall and then stall again no more than a mile later. The car has been officially recalled for safety reasons by Toyota, but the dealership has refused to fix the problem, insisting that the recall does not apply. The recall: "the engine control module (ECM) for certain 2005 through 2008 Toyota Corolla and Corolla matrix models equipped with the 1zz-fe engine and two-wheel drive may have been improperly manufactured. There is a possibility that a crack may develop at certain solder points or on varistors on the circuit board. In most cases, if a crack occurs at certain points or on certain varistors, the engine warning lamp could be illuminated, harsh shifting could result, or the engine may not start. In limited instances, if cracking occurs on particular solder points or varistors, the engine could stop while the vehicle is being driven increasing the risk of a crash." The dealer insists that my car stalls because of a different part, the throttle, and they are trying to charge me more than $1000 to fix the problem.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jan 132008

Stop the car while driving. Big crash noise just like conflicting metals. 1/14/08 dealer changed the ECM at 13,699 miles. After then when stopped and idling in drive with brakes on the rpms drop and there is tapping noise from the passenger front side of car. But the service always told me your car is fine. I had to do maintenance service for transmission oil change and 30,000 miles service at 26,68miles.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Sep 122008

An increase in acceleration with my foot off the accelerator pedal.

- Bowling Green, OH, USA

May 212009

In May 21, 2009, when my husband was driving in a 45 mph road, the car speed suddenly couldn't maintain and started to decrease although the accelerator pedal was depressed. Then found the car engine stalled and couldn't restart. Fortunately, there was no other car hit his car when this happened. But engine suddenly stall while driving, especially in a highway could be life threatening problem, which could be even worse than sudden acceleration. I have read qcsreport00203 report regarding electronic throttle control systems in Toyota consumer complaints to NHTSA. In this report it states: It is frequently possible to determine whether an electronic throttle control system is used in an engine in a specific vehicle once the make, the model, the model year, and the corresponding Toyota engine family are identified. In 2007 Toyota Corolla owners' manual, page107, it clearly states: If engine speed does not increase when the accelerator pedal is depressed, there may be a problem somewhere in the electronic throttle control system. From this statement, it tells that Toyota does aware the engine sudden stall problem and the defectiveness of the electronic throttle control system. Toyota should take responsibility on 2007 Corolla as well.

- Centereach, NY, USA

Nov 232007

The od light comes on intermittently. It stays on. There is a strange whirring noise coming from the engine. A clunking noise is heard in the rear of the vehicle. All these occur intermittently. A Toyota dealer in yuma said of the od light, there is definitely something wrong with the transmission.

- Spring Valley, CA, USA

Oct 272008

2007 Toyota Corolla engine and transmission computer broke while I was driving on highway 128 North. I was going 60 miles per hour at 7:45am on Monday morning when the engine totally stalled. That was very dangerous and could have killed me and others if they hit me. I was lucky to be able to go all the way to the right and stop on the break down lane to call aaa for a tow to the Toyota dealer where they run a scan and found out that the computer needs replacement. The car was still under warranty and worked fine once they replaced the computer. My complain is that this incident could have easily killed me and others.

- Dedham, MA, USA

Dec 162007

2007 Toyota Corolla unintended acceleration. Consumer states that engine accelerated at high speed, unable to control car or brake effectively. The consumer stated since purchasing the vehicle, there was some hesitancy in starting the vehicle during summer months and jerky acceleration.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Jun 152007

Corolla 4-cyl

Veh purchased new may, 2007. It had less than 150 miles on it when the 1st incident happened. I was driving down a grade at approx 65 mph. There was a traffic light approx 350 to 450 ft ahead. I knew I could not make the light so I applied my brakes. The transmission or engine seemed to seize up and surge and my brakes were almost useless. It is an auto transmission & all I could think to do to stop was brake hard & shift into park. This did stop it...but I was frightened. Subsequently, approx two months later, while on vacation out of state, the veh started making a ticking sound as soon as the engine hit 3000 RPM's. upon returning to ca I took the car to the dealer and told him about both problems. They supposedly put it on their scope & no diagnoses code appeared. They said the noise was a loose hose"?" funny it only ticked at exactly 3000 RPM's!!!. they could not explain the seizing and surging. This car has now done this seizing and surging thing three more times. It is scary and frightening!! the 2nd & 3rd times, I again was on a down grade going around 65 mph at around 3000 RPM's. again it was a situation where I braked that caused the seizing then surging. The last & 4th time this thing happened was last week. I was idling in a drive through, waiting for my food. The transmission was in drive & I had my foot on the brake. It was in this position for about 5-7 minutes, moving slowly forward every 1-2 minutes. It was a warmer day- as I moved forward again, I pushed the A/C button to circulate some air. Suddenly, the car surged forward..made an awful sound & no amount of braking seemed to hold it. Again, as with the very first time, this brought the car into control! I work out of town and depend on having a car....but I am getting scared to drive this car. I have approx 8,500 miles on it now. I don't know if I trust the dealer to take this matter seriously & would really like Toyota's help.

- Hemet, CA, USA