2012 Toyota Corolla engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Corolla:

2012 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Aug 312012

I have experienced this since the beginning of the purchase. I use the air condition. If I am done, I turn the ac off. After using the ac, there is a foul odor that arises. I have tried to open up the vents. I have checked underneath the car. I have opened the front where it leads to the cabin filter. I have changed the cabin filter several times. The odor still persists. The only thing that the car dealers have told me to do was to run the heater after using the ac. It is redundant if I have to run the heater in a hot day.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Apr 172014

Corolla 4-cyl

While waiting for the traffic light to change and my foot on the brakes, the car suddenly accelerated and despite shifting to park and pulling on the emergency brake the car continued to rev very high for several minutes. Just prior to acceleration, the car's brakes became very soft and sunk all the way to the floor of the car as if someone had depressed the power in the brake line. I turned off the engine and waited for about 2 minutes and restarted the car. The engine raced again at very high speeds with the emergency brake on and the car set at "park." I turned the car off again and waited five minutes. The car started normally and I then called my wife to pick me up. She drove the car back home and noticed the brakes were very mushy and she felt a slight acceleration. We took it to our Toyota dealership since it was still under warranty and they found nothing wrong with the car and asserted that I depressed both the brake and the gas pedal at the same time, which is utterly ridiculous. We have owned the car for 18 months and nothing like this has ever happened. There were more than five witnesses to this as I had blocked traffic at the light's intersection while other cars went around me while the car was racing. I have filed an incident report with Toyota but it does not look as if anything will be done with the unintended acceleration issue. I am a former lawyer and I take my complaints very seriously. Please help.

- Tulatin, OR, USA