2012 Toyota Corolla seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Corolla:

2012 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Oct 162016

Corolla

Takata recall- I got in my car and I notice the airbag lights was on. So my wife got in the passenger seat and put her seat belt on and the passenger airbag light stay on.I haven't drove my car all weekend until this morning.

- Port Allen, LA, USA

Sep 012016

Corolla

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The dealer diagnosed that the spiral cable needed to be replaced. The contact heard a clicking noise when the steering wheel was turned. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V014000 (air bags, seats). The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN and failure mileage were not available.

- Elon, NC, USA

Oct 172015

Corolla

As I was driving on the highway, the airbag light for the driver's side lit up on the dashboard. It has never done that before; my vehicle was purchased in Texas, spent some time in Maryland during the winter, and now it's in Vermont. During those times, this was never an issue, until now. I assume that the cold weather in Vermont has something to with it and may be affecting the sensors. The total mileage on the vehicle is under 36,000.

- South Royalton, VT, USA

Jun 022015

Corolla

This is just a request for information about the airbag recall, safety issue, no incident or accident. I see from the NHTSA report that my vehicle is on the recall list, but I have not been contacted and I called a dealership and the person acted like they did not know anything about a recall. I want to get my car checked out, and I am not going to pay for it. How do I do this?

- Lexington, SC, USA

Jul 212014

Corolla 4-cyl

My husband was parking and the accelerator pad stuck resulting in the car lunging forward at a higher rate of speed flipping over.the air bags did not deploy as well. At the time we had no idea what happen. I saw online where a recalls were put in as well as compensation being offered to victims. We would like to know whom to contact about this.

- Dallas , TX, USA

Dec 192013

Corolla 4-cyl

The first accident in this car, I ran off the road and lost control hitting a tree. The air bags did not deploy. I sustained an injury from this accident. My left leg broke. The second accident, I clipped a deer on the front right of the car. The air bags did not deploy. No injuries resulted from this accident. The third and final accident, I rear-ended a truck at 60 mph. The air bags did not deploy. I sustained minimal injuries in this accident, mostly sprains and bruises.

- Lake Butler, FL, USA

Oct 292014

Corolla 4-cyl

As I was driving on the freeway, another vehicle lost control in front of me and I collided with it. The front of my car impacted the driver-side/rear-end of the other vehicle. I was going approximately 60-65 mph. I was wearing my seat belt, but my airbags did not deploy. As a result of the airbag not deploying, I have pain, tenderness, and soreness on my chest, neck, and back from either hitting the steering wheel or the seat belt crossing my body. As a direct result of the accident, my car was a total loss.....updated 01/12/15 updated 01/15/15

- San Pedro, CA, USA

Jun 172014

Corolla

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated the while driving at 45 mph, the contact crashed into a deer that came into its path pushing the radiator into the engine block. The front driver and passenger air bags failed to deploy. The contact suffered injuries to the shoulder, neck, spine, feet and extensive nerve damage. The front passenger suffered a panic attack. The contact and passenger both required medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Pikeville, KY, USA

Sep 252014

Corolla

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while reversing, the brakes were engaged but the vehicle accelerated causing the rear end of the vehicle to crash into front end of another vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed and no injuries were sustained. The vehicle was repaired. Also, the contact stated that the failure occurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 38,700.

- Citrus Heights , CA, USA

Oct 032014

Corolla 4-cyl

Traveling West, a driver had came to a complete stop in the hwy and sitting there with turn signal, I slowed down thinking she was going to turn (it appeared as though she was still moving) looked at gps screen and looked up again to see that I was going to hit the rear of her SUV. Collision occurred with no air bag deployment. Had it not been for wearing a seat belt the results would have been much worse. My vehicle sustained 16,000 dollars worth of damage and was a total loss. Upon inspection both the air bag impact sensors were broken. The body shop who looked at the vehicle could not believe that the air bags did not deploy.

- Valentine, NE, USA

Jul 022012

Corolla

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while the passenger was seated in the front passenger seat, the passenger side seat belt and the air bag indicator light illuminated and flickered. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 1000. Updated 08/11/14

- Montrose, PA, USA

May 102014

Corolla

The airbag light is transit and doing even when the car is not in motion I just got this car and don't understand what's going on but I believe that it is very defective, and puts myself and my family in grave danger.

- Newark, NJ, USA

Mar 052014

Corolla

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that the radio failed to function. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was found that a rodent had breached the vehicle and damaged wires to the electrical components as well as the air bag. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 7,100. The VIN was unavailable.

- Hawley, PA, USA

Jan 122014

Corolla 4-cyl

Accident occurred when trying to park Toyota Corolla 2012 in a grass parking space. Driver (me) began to brake to get into the designated parking space, the engine revved up and the vehicle accelerated (as if it has a "mind of its own") until it struck the vehicle parked in front, driver continued to apply brakes but vehicle did not stop and vehicle continued accelerating; the steering wheel turned to the right and struck another vehicle also parked. Driver tried to stop the car by shifting to "parking" but it just made a loud noise and the shift gear was stuck. Car was towed to the collision center of the Toyota deal, and requested an inspection to check for mechanical failures. After many unsuccessful follow up calls, the collision center manager communicated on 02/07/2012 that: "there was nothing wrong with the car as they tested and they could not make the car replicate the incident, " (the collision damage repairs were finalized on 02/06/2014.) note: A recall notice was previously received for airbag sensor defect. Car was taken to the dealer for repair prior to collision. At the time of accident, airbag did not deploy.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Dec 032013

Corolla

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Corolla. The contact was driving approximately 25 mph and lost control of the vehicle, crashing into another vehicle. The front driver's side air bag did not deploy. There was a police report filed of the incident but no injuries were reported. The vehicle was towed to a collision shop and but had not yet been diagnose or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 16,400.

- Liberty, SC, USA

Oct 172013

Corolla

I was involved in accident where I was T-boned on the driver side and pushed from the traffic lane onto sidewalk into telegram pole. The impact was so forceful that the driver side window exploded but was held together due to tine on window. Outside mirror shattered and glass came into car. I had seat belt on but somehow managed to bump my head on the windshield which was cracked. Suffered a mild concussion from ct scan. So from the front driver side, bumper and passenger side received extensive damage which made the car undrivable. During the course of the forceful hit and being pushed onto the sidewalk into the telegram pole, none of the air bags deployed. In this vehicle there are side curtain airbags which I feel should have deployed due to the impact of the other vehicle (1998 durango). Would like some research done before I take further civil action in regards to the defective air bags. The car has been totaled due to the extensive damage and the bending of the frame on the car.

- Albany, GA, USA

Feb 202013

Corolla 4-cyl

I believe there is a serious safety issue related to the placement of the air bag sensor. My wife and a co-workers wife were involved in an accident that severely deformed the front of a 2012 Toyota Corolla without triggering the airbag sensor.  upon inspection, it appears that the portion of the car that the airbag sensor is attached to, moved over a foot and a half without triggering the air bag sensor. As a former ase master technician and technical expert for the better business bureau, this may be a serious design flaw that could endanger the health and safety  of other 2012 Corolla owners. I file a complaint with Toyota usa and I am waiting for their response.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Aug 282012

Corolla

The contact rented a 2012 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph the vehicle in the left lane proceeded to enter the right lane, the contact swerved off the road to avoid a crash. As a result, she crashed head on into a pole and the driver frontal air bag failed to deploy causing the contact head to hit the steering wheel. The contact sustained injuries to the head, face, left shoulder, ribs, legs, and abdomen. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed. The approximate failure and current mileage was 20,000.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 152012

Corolla 4-cyl

The driver fell asleep at the wheel, awoke and tried to correct his lane position. Upon his attempt, the car could not be stabilized or controlled. This was a front end crash at a speed of approximately 50 - 55 mph going through a chain link fence, hitting hundreds of stacked lobster crates (like hitting a brick wall). The car was completely totaled, the driver had seat belt on. Not one air bag deployed. The driver side mirror smashed through the driver side window and a piece of wooden lobster crate with nails came through the front windshield and into the vehicle. This caused serious injury to the driver, sever facial and elbow lacerations, and major amounts of glass fragments in his body. The driver was the only individual in the vehicle.

- Akron, NY, USA