2014 Toyota Corolla brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Toyota Corolla:

2014 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

May 062016

Corolla

I was parked in the underground parking at the North West corner of amherst ave and santa monica blvd in los angeles. I was exiting driving up the very narrow exit ramp. 1.the one way exit to the lot curves and is very narrow. As I navigated the narrow exit, I felt that I was almost touching the wall on the right side. 2.I applied the brakes and put the car in reverse in order to get away from the wall. However, the brakes did not respond and the car rolled backwards around the bend, hitting the wall behind me. The car came to a complete stop. 3.applying the brakes had no impact on the car neither decelerating nor accelerating. This shows that the brakes definitely did not work. 4.with my foot on the brakes, I put the car in drive. At no time did I press the accelerator pedal. I would have heard the engine. The instant I shifted to drive, the car lunged forward at a very high rate of speed. Consequentially, my car zoomed up the driveway into the ground level parking facing West. Within a second or so, my car collided with another car, parked facing West in front of pizza hut. Due to the force of the impact at such a high rate of speed, the parked Hyundai superseded the concrete parking barrier crashing into pizza hut, shattering the store front window. 5.my car was thankfully stopped due to impact with the Hyundai on the right side of my vehicle and a low wall on the left side.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Nov 232015

Corolla

The contact owned a 2014 Toyota Corolla. While driving 15 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and the brakes seized. The contact's vehicle crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The approximate failure mileage was 29,300.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Apr 302015

Corolla

The contact owned a 2014 Toyota Corolla. While driving around a mall parking lot, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle violently accelerated. The brakes failed to stop the vehicle and it crashed into a boulder. The contact sustained a fractured sternum and a fractured back that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 200,000.

- Chelby Towp, MI, USA

Jan 102013

Corolla 4-cyl

My 2014 Toyota Corolla le is a lease I picked up in December 2013 & now has 3641 miles on it. I first noticed this issue with the brakes within first month but felt because the 2011 Corolla I just turned in was a different model (not le) & many changes in 2014 model that perhaps I should give it more time. The problem is when I stop at a traffic light I must put a lot of pressure on brake pedal & press it down to the floor as far as it will go otherwise car will start to roll. I had it checked several times at Toyota dealers & no one can find anything wrong so I've been living with it. Last week I had a chance to drive a different 2014 Toyota Corolla & brake reactions different I did not have to press down on the brake pedal as hard or as far as I do with mine. On 3/17/2015 I brought my car into Toyota dealer for brakes check only & tech checked system for codes (?) & did test drive by himself & stated he did not notice anything wrong, then he did test drive with me driving to see if I could 'recreate' the issue & although this tech admitted he could see I had the brake pedal pushed down to the floor the rolling at light did not occur (of course).the tech told me as far as the other 2014 Corolla's brake pedal reactions that Toyota might have drum brakes on it (?) & my car has disc brakes.the tech also told me there is nothing they can do to adjust, fix or repair disc brakes(?) will have to take his word for it. In any event I was told me to keep a watch if it happens again, also if car is cold or hot & sometimes car will roll automatically at a light due to A/C going on & off & regulating itself (will have to take tech's word).the only thing I know is at a stop light if I don't hold that brake pedal down hard & as far to the floor as I can the car will roll which to me is dangerous; haven't hit anyone or anything but to me this doesn't seem normal or right to me.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

Nov 272014

Corolla

I was pulling into my driveway at 1 mile per hour and I put my foot on the brake to stop my car and it wouldn't stop! the engine revved up and my car went through my fence into my backyard. I tried in vain to stop my car, I kept pressing down on my brake, (5 times) with no success. I finally put my automatic transmission into park and it finally came to a stop. I was extremely shaken up since I thought I was going to die! I checked my car for damages, I noticed that my passenger side view mirror was damaged and there was other damage under my car. My car is only 3 months old and has 950 miles on it. I have been driving for over 30 years and I have never encountered anything like this. This happened on November 27, 2014, thanksgiving day at 10:00 am. The weather conditions were cloudy with a temperature of 34 degrees.

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Oct 072014

Corolla 4-cyl

While driving on a highway in stop and go traffic, the brakes on the vehicle failed. Even with the brake pedal pressed completely, the car continued to move forward. I was fortunately able to swerve into the shoulder and pull the emergency brake, and there was no incident. However, the Toyota dealership was not able to find the root cause of the incident and it seems like nothing was wrong. They tested out the brakes and everything seemed technically fine. I was told that they wouldn't be able to do anything unless they could recreate the incident and understand what went wrong. I'm now just driving the car and hoping the situation is never recreated because next time, I might not be lucky enough to get away without any incident.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 112013

Corolla

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Corolla. While driving at low speeds, the brakes failed to stop the vehicle and it suddenly accelerated independently. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 100.

- Cumberland Center , ME, USA

Mar 012014

Corolla

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph in rainy weather, the brakes failed when applied and abnormally traveled to the floorboard. The contact crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The contact sustained injuries to the chest, back and left side of the body. The front seat passenger sustained injuries to the back, chest and finger. The rear seat passenger sustained injuries to the back, chest and ribs. The vehicle was destroyed and was not inspected to determine the cause of the brake failure. The manufacture was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 250.

- Ontario, CO, USA