2014 Toyota Corolla steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Toyota Corolla:

2014 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Oct 242016

Corolla

Power steering stops working while driving, in motion, on city streets.

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

May 252014

Corolla

The power steering is not suitable for highway speeds of over 50 mph. This steering is so sensitive at highway speeds that it requires 150% concentration and effort to keep the steering straight. Natural wind, wind produced by cars, small bumps on the roads, concrete separating lines...anything and everything will cause this car to shift direction to the sides in the highway. It was simply poorly designed and not stiff enough. This is a safety concern. In sport mode I do believe the power steering hardens/tightens a bit but it is not even enough. Please have this checked out. - owner of 2014 Corolla

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Mar 212016

Corolla

Car was driving down the highway and came to a turn and the steering wheel would not move. The road straightened still unable to move steering wheel and jerked it after veering into other lane which unlocked steering wheel causing an over correction and total loss of the vehicle.

- California, MO, USA

Oct 042015

Corolla

I got this car from a dealer around March 2015. Today I was driving in the city streets in South beach, miami and suddenly the car tried to turn by itself one side and when I tried to put it back in straight direction it was very stiff like and old car. I noticed a light turned on for a few seconds with a steering wheel and exclamation. I read this and found this is a serious Toyota electric assisted direction problem. I'm really worry about this and don't know what to do. I saw several people had accidents because this defect in the system.

- North Miami Beach, FL, USA

Jun 122015

Corolla

While making a 90 degree turn from the roadway into a parking space I heard a loud snapping, banging noise from the right front of my vehicle and the vehicle came to an abrupt stop. I turned the ignition off and checked the front side of my vehicle and was alarmed to find that my right front wheel was pointed in the opposite direction of my left front wheel and upon further investigation found what appears to be a snapped tie rod end or lower control arm. The following morning I had a tow truck haul the vehicle to the dealer that I originally purchased the vehicle from. The tow truck driver was able to straighten out the wheel in order to get the vehicle on the truck. The driver commented " you are some fortunate that you weren't traveling any faster you would have no control over your steering!" the dealer let me know that the vehicle needs an inner and outer tie rod, sway bar link, a strut assembly and a new axle!! the dealer further went on to say that the parts are all under warranty so you are all set!! I asked, how is it possible that a vehicle with only 11,800 miles could have had such a catastrophic failure. The answer, we are not sure at this point the parts will be shipped back to the factory.

- Portland, ME, USA

Apr 152015

Corolla

As I was driving around a curved street, my steering wheel locks on me. I could not swerve and turn my car to follow the curved street. I could not move the wheel at all. My car ran into a tree head first. All the airbags deployed and smoke appeared. My entire car was totaled and smashed in the front. Scariest thing because I had no control. Thank god, my 1 year old son was not in the backseat or else he would have been fatally injured with those airbags. I need to know what can be done. Toyota has had recalls in the past and this could have ended my life.

- Hackensack, NJ, USA

Jun 022014

Corolla 4-cyl

2014 Toyota Corolla. Consumer writes in regards to engine and steering wheel issues. The consumer was unable to start the engine due to the steering wheel being in the locked position. The ignition key would not turn. The dealer informed the consumer, the steering wheel self locked, and he would have to wiggle the steering wheel left to right. The consumer stated the vehicle suddenly started to accelerate to a seemingly uncontrolled speed. The consumer applied the brake and lowered the gear to its lowest ratio, but with little effect to control the seemingly ever increasing speed of the vehicle. The consumer managed to navigate several short radius curves and tore down the slope road toward a main commuter roadway. The vehicle was speeding out of control and unfortunately he hit a commercial van. The consumer finally managed to get the vehicle stopped. However, the engine was still running. The vehicle was placed in parked. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. Updated 10/28/15.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Jul 032014

Corolla 4-cyl

Hello, I drive 100 mile every day from pittsburgh, ca to hayward, ca for school. I recently purchased a 2014 Corolla le, because I wanted a reliable car for my daily commute. I have noticed at speeds over 60 mph, my car seems to be blown around by wind and there is no wind gust strong enough to do that. I have visited the dealership (dublin Toyota) twice in other to find out the problem, they said everything is up to spec. They have done alignment and even adjusted the tire pressure, yet there is no improvement on the steering or handling of the car. The car waves on the freeway and it is a struggle to keep it in one lane. I really feel unsafe in the car and I have tried everything including loading up my car with weight in order to make heavier. I know something is either wrong with the rear suspension and axle or the power steering is simply bad. Please find out why this is this way from Toyota, because I don't feel safe driving the car on the freeway. I noticed this problem starting the day I brought the car.

- Pittsburg, CA, USA

May 302014

Corolla 4-cyl

Myself and my sister were going from East boston to I93 via the sumner tunnel onto route 93 to the rockingham mall and I was driving 55mph at or around andover/ North andover in the middle lane and suddenly the car started veering to the left and then to the right for about 1-2 minutes. I had both hands on the wheel and I had absolutely no steering at all, no power, no regular, nothing! there was nothing I could do and all the cars around me where passing me and going into different lanes and they all stayed as far away from me as possible and then all of a sudden it came back as if nothing happened. I leased it at atlantic Toyota and I called and asked to speak with the head of the service dept. And I was told everyone had gone home for memorial day weekend and call back Tuesday morning, and then I asked to speak to the head of the dealership and I got no answer and I was not able to leave a message or anything, the only person I spoke to was the receptionist and she couldn't give me any answers or anyone to call, she wasn't at all interested when I told her my sister and I could have been killed, all she could say was call back after the memorial weekend and I was furious and she hung up.

- East Boston, MA, USA

Jan 212014

Corolla 4-cyl

After being driven for less than 200 miles of being received from dealership for a defective cvt transmission replacement, difficulties to keep the car going straight suddenly appeared, trying to do so caused it to pull the opposite during a Suburban trip in a high speed way, so had to be driven to a safer place, (getting worse rapidly), and making clunking metallic noises on the front end when turning at corners and braking, and a loud humming noise when braking from highway speed (appeared at the same time and as sudden as the steering situation) to a full stop or from highway speed to a sudden lower one due to congestion. All this happened to appear on this last trip. Had to be towed back to the dealership. Condition showed up during a continuous rainy condition, perceived like a total loss of front end alignment, plus the noises. As of the writing of this message, just a few hours have passed after the incident happened, but because of the potentially dangerous "collision situation " experienced, due the speed of the highway in which this condition suddenly appeared (nothing warned about something wrong going before) is this report being sent. Maybe caused by or related to the procedure executed during the previous cvt transmission replacement, (my opinion) has not yet been diagnosed by the dealership.

- Coral Gables, FL, USA