7.5

2016 Toyota Corolla lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Toyota Corolla:

2016 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Dec 262015

Corolla

When driving this model, which I own, I believe the led lighting makes these cars unsafe at night. What I will call the led horizon which fluctuates greatly on hilly or uneven roads, causes loss of needed vision. Fluctuation in pavement reduces forward vision to as little as a car length going downhill & puts it into the clouds going uphill. & everything in between on slightly uneven roads. The horizon is caused by total lack of light - led lights don't shade or reflect gradually to darkness, but have that sudden cut off resulting in a tunnel vision effect. I have to live with & drive in foothills at night. I complained by phone & email to manufacturer. I brought up possible rewiring, different bulbs, anything at 5000 mile service & that I'd gladly pay for some lighting improvement. Dealer help said "no one else has complained" & there is nothing allowed nor available to help improve lighting. Manufacturer said they weren't aware of any problems. I cited 2015 Corolla comments on this site & later emailed them the iihs study. Since Toyota obviously has the prius V lighting figured out & this is a major safety issue I strongly believe all cars with led need to be brought up to safe standards. This doesn't mean just Toyota, but other brands affected. The little car is outdriving headlights at 30 mph. That & making all newer cars so low they sink into water puddles too easily are safety problems that need to be addressed industry wide. I'll give the date of 1st drive, but of course it is ongoing.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Nov 302016

Corolla

2016 Toyota Corolla defect. The daytime running lights on/off switch is on the same control as the headlights. The dlrs turns on before reaching the low beam setting as you twist the control. The dlrs are almost as bright as the low beam headlights and utilize the same bulb at a lower wattage. They can be mistaken for your headlights at night and you will be driving around with no taillights because the taillights are not on when the switch is on the dlr setting. I got pulled over by a cop because I had no tail lights one night. The dealer has no solution for this problem. It is only a matter of time until this incompetent design kills someone. Toyota should fire the engineer behind this and order a recall and at the very least rewire the dlr switch to include taillights and boost the wattage on the dlr to low beam power. It amazes me that this defect would pass thru a company like Toyota and make it to the market. This was a mistake on my part and I was already aware of it and had already brought every driver in my house out to the driveway to show them this dangerous condition. If a conscientious person like me can make this mistake, anyone can.

- Sandown, NH, USA

Jun 082016

Corolla

The contact owns a 2016 Toyota Corolla. While driving at night, the headlights did not illuminate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed, but the cause of the failure was undetermined. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 100.

- Raymond, CA, USA

Jun 032016

Corolla

I was blinded by the headlights of a Toyota Corolla. It almost led to an accident with a pedestrian. Please look into all 2015+ Toyota Corollas with the high intensity discharge lights seem to be aimed higher than normal or have improper lenses. When approaching they blind oncoming drivers. These economy cars are very common and problem is becoming worse as Toyota did not recall them.

- North Bethesda, MD, USA

Mar 282016

Corolla

In the last 5 days, I have seen at least 4 Toyota Corolla's with led headlights on the road at night without their taillights on. I believe the reason for this is that the led headlight option runs all day long, so people assume their lights are automatic? this is a huge safety concern as someone on the road at night cannot see these Toyota Corolla's in front of them when the taillights are off. In total, I have probably seen at least 40+ Corolla's without their lights actually turned on, but the headlights always shine. I try to flash my lights at the drivers to signal the problem, but few realize the issue since they are unaware their lights are not automatically activated.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Feb 282016

Corolla

The contact owns a 2016 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the led headlights were activated but the low beams failed to illuminate adequate lighting on the road ahead, which distorted the visibility. The high beam headlights were engaged in order to view the road. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 250. The VIN was unavailable.

- Mineral Bluff, GA, USA