2005 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Prius:

2005 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 14 of 15)

Oct 192008

Prius

I have a 2005 Toyota Prius. The right headlight will stop working for no reason. It is intermittent. If I turn off the headlights and turn them on, it will work for a little while, then go off again. This is a major safely issue.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Dec 252008

Prius

2005 Prius- high intensity headlights go out intermittently. Problem noticed at 90,000 miles while car was under extended warranty- dealer would not acknowledge problem because the lights always worked in the shop. At over 100,000 dealer acknowledged problem but Toyota company would pay for only 1/2 the cost (cost to replace bulbs and labor is $1,000!). not only is this a safety issue of headlamps not working, but the cost is robbery.

- Davis, CA, USA

Jan 012007

Prius

Action #PE09019 excludes model year 2005. This year is also experiencing the hid headlamp failure problem, including my vehicle. I already filed a complaint and you may ignore the date and other info in this comment. I just want to see 2005 added to the investigation and potential recall.

- Castaic, CA, USA

Mar 032009

Prius

Left front headlight burned out.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Jan 172008

Prius

Right front headlight burned out.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Apr 222009

Prius

Passenger side headlight turning off intermittently. I understand this is a common complaint with Prius and that repair costs are significant. This is a huge safety issue - headlights turning themselves off while driving....

- San Rafael, CA, USA

Mar 162009

Prius

Passenger side headlight fades then goes out. Turning the switch off/on will turn the headlight on again żbut still it goes out.

- Ashburn \, VA, USA

Feb 152009

Prius

Tail light and both headlights went out within a few weeks of each other. Folsom lake Toyota charged by $450 to replace the first bulb that I purchased 4 weeks later from Napa auto parts for $93. Folsom lake Toyota claims they ran a diagnostic and that there are no electrical problems four weeks before second headlight and license plate bulb went out.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Feb 272009

Prius

I have a 2005 Toyota Prius (pkg 6) with appr. 18,000 miles. About a month ago, by driver's side headlight started to go out (going off and on) until it finally went out completely. On February 27, 2009, I took the vehicle into the dealer (longo Toyota in el monte, California), who told me I would have to spend $358 (parts and labor) for just the one headlight. After much discussion with the service rep at the dealer and the Toyota sales rep, Toyota agreed to pay for the replacement of both headlights with me paying for the labor of the replacement. The total cost to me for the labor was $201.76. If Toyota hadn't agreed to pay for the replacement of the bulbs, I would have been out of pocket $716.14 (parts and labor). As it was, I still had to pay $201.76 for the labor. It is my opinion that a vehicle that is only 3-1/2 years old should not have to have it's headlights replaced. I also understand from talking to the service rep and doing further research that this is a common occurrence even in much younger Prius'. I feel that this problem needs to be researched further by the NHTSA and a determination made on whether there needs to be an official recall for the headlight replacement problem on Prius'.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Feb 132009

Prius

The headlights on my 2005 Toyota Prius randomly turn off while driving. Sometimes one goes out, but when they both go out all of the lights inside the car go out too. When I turn the lights off and then back on they will work for a short time. Additionally, after this started the electronic ignition began to have problems. I have replaced the bulbs several times. This has been a regular problem for about 3 months. We have received a warning ticket because of a headlight outage.

- Mount Airy, MD, USA

Jan 232009

Prius

Passenger-side headlight goes out while driving. Turning the lights off and then on again resolves the issue. I only notice this when I see the car's reflection in the rear of the car in front.

- Bear, DE, USA

Jan 202009

Prius

Headlights intermittently turn on. Left and right side sometimes do not turn on. They later turn on after multiple tries (turn on and off repeatedly). Both lights turn off while driving. Inspection at Toyota dealer found possible fault with one headlight. Cost to replace headlights estimated at $900.

- Belmont, CA, USA

Jan 132009

Prius

2005 Prius with hid headlamps that need replacing which will cost $450 each. This is an outrageous sum of money to pay for headlamps on a 4 year old vehicle.

- Kensington, CA, USA

Dec 292008

Prius

The driver's side headlight on my 2005 Prius was going on and off and then went out all together after about 3 weeks. When I took it to the Toyota dealer they said the bulb and labor would be $320 and the computer that controls that one headlight was also out and that would be $250 - so it would be almost $600 for 1 headlight!! I think after reading many other Prius owner's similar complaints on the internet that this is a design flaw and also an outrageous, unfair charge to consumers for an item that must has to work in order to use the car. I feel before I bought the car I should have been informed of the cost to repair a headlight and that some Prius' have regular headlights on them and I should have been given a choice.

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Nov 012008

Prius

About 6 weeks ago I began experience a random shut down of my ps head light. Only be turning my lights off and back on restored it for some amount of time.. last week the same thing started happening with the ds headlight. Now ether one or both randomly just goes dark. When both go our on a two lane road it gets really dark. I can not cause it to happen and can not find anything that looks loose. It sometimes happens when the car is sitting still at an intersection. Some nights it happens several time in a 2 mile drive to the store and other times (rarely now) it does not happen at all. Heat doe not seem to be an issue since it sometime happens just after the car is started from cold. When checking the internet if find the Prius headlight problem produces several blog and other sites that describe the same thing with people saying that the dealerships don't know how to solve the problem even though some people have spent over $2500 swapping out parts.. as a researcher, I conclude that this is clearly vehicle class problem that should at least be understood by the service centers. As a driver, it is clearly a dangerous safety issue. Please investigate before I have to start spending big money on non-solutions or sell the car I otherwise love passing the problem to someone else.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Dec 272008

Prius

On three separate occasions my headlamps have gone out. Each time it has been the right or left side. The fourth time. The lights came on using the hi-beam only. Numerous incidents have taken place. This is the second time my wife has been pulled over for this. I have replaced these myself. However, this last time it is not the bulb. It is the electrical system. According to the forum. Costs have been from $300 - 2K. Some dealerships assume some responsibility and others don't. this is a safety and expense issue. Driving home is very difficult at night and using the hi-beam is blinding to on coming traffic and against the law in most circumstances.

- Battle Ground, WA, USA

Dec 182007

Prius

My 2005 Prius has xenon high intensity discharge(hid) headlamps that go out and stay out until the next time I turn on the lights. I have had to change the bulbs very frequently and they don't last for more than a year.

- Los Altos, CA, USA

Nov 222008

Prius

Left headlight keeps going out in Prius. Turn off then back on to reset both headlights went out one night and almost caused a wreck it reset once I turned it off and back on.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Nov 172008

Prius

Right headlight goes out at will. Flipping the on/off switch will turn it back on temporarily. Hard to tell when driving without light. Dealership said to replace hid bulb, for $458. But the bulb isn't burned out. Its an electrical problem, and according to others it continues to happen, even after bulb change. This is a very big problem in the dark, and a major safety issue for hundreds of Prius owners.

- Newport Beach, CA, USA

Nov 132008

Prius

1.) events leading up to failure: None (except vehicle > 43000 miles?) 2.) hid headlamp on 2005 Toyota Prius has intermittent problems with one or both headlamps turning on and off randomly. Turning on/off of headlights would happen perhaps 1 to 2 times in a 15 minute drive 3.) none yet. Others have reported hid inverter failure/ECU failure to be cause.

- Corvallis, OR, USA