2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 10 of 40)

Jan 012010

Prius

Faulty hid lightbulb about a year ago, I replaced the driver side hid lightbulb and now I have to replace the passenger side hid lightbulb. Similar symptoms leading up to both replacements: The light sometimes works and sometimes does not. If I notice that the light is not working and switch the lights off and back on, sometimes the faulty light will work and other times it will not. The light never seems fully burned out as it works intermittently. At night, this can pose a safety issue. Toyota has not been able to explain this issue and has only recommended replacing the lightbulb, which is quite expensive.

- New Tripoli, PA, USA

Sep 152010

Prius

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the headlights turned off. They were replaced October 2010 but failed again. The dealer stated that the problem was that the bulbs were defective. The contact believed the failure to be within the circuit board. The failure mileage was approximately 50,000 and the current mileage was approximately 52,000.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Oct 292010

Prius

2006 Prius purchase cpo with 59,000 miles. Noticed headlights not functioning within 15 minutes of driving off the lot. At least thee occurrences of headlight failure that evening, including, at one time both headlights went out at the same time. After 600+ complaints, why has no recall been compelled?

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Apr 092010

Prius

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. Whenever the contact was driving at any speed, the headlights turned off suddenly without any warning. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the headlights needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were approximately 29,000.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Jun 012010

Prius

Intermittent functioning of passenger-side hid headlamp on 2006 Toyota Prius after <20,000 miles, followed by complete failure after a few months. Bulb replaced by Toyota dealer in 2009 at cost >$200. Now, driver-side bulb experiencing same issue of intermittent function at <30K miles.

- Portland, OR, USA

Sep 092010

Prius

My 2006 Toyota Prius headlights has manufacturer defect that Toyota won't take responsibility. In early 2010, the front passenger headlight will go off intermittently. But if it were turn off then on, it will stay on for a while before turn off again. Now the front passenger headlight is doing the same. I called Toyota dealer in atlanta and it cost $400 to fix. I called Toyota customer service and was surprised to know they knew about this issue but won't pay for the repair. I received a traffic ticket for front passenger headlight malfunction. It cost me $265 for the ticket. Toyota just lost my confidence.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Feb 012010

Prius

I have an 2006 Toyota Prius with hid headlights. About 6 months ago, one light started going out shortly after ignition. It could be either one. After I turn the lights off and back on, both will stay on for the duration of the trip. This has been consistent over last 6 months or so.

- San Mateo, CA, USA

Oct 232010

Prius

Passenger side headlight or ("hid") will turn off for not apparent reason while headlights are activated. The light will turn off periodically during a drive over all surface types. Correction: Turn lights off then on again. Passenger light will turn back on for a time, and then off.

- Greencastle, IN, USA

Oct 222010

Prius

I bought a 2006 Toyota Prius new, with all the options, in May 2006. I live in southern California, where it's been mostly warm and dry (I.e., a drought) since before I bought the car. At about 64,000 in 2-3 days of misty weather, my right front headlight started going off and back on. At about 91,000 miles, the problem got much worse, but unpredictable. At 97,000 even worse. Having to take the car to the dealer for other reasons, I asked the dealer to look at this, but they said that they could not duplicate the front right headlight going out. A little after 99,000 miles, the headlight ceased to stay on for more than a few seconds. I replaced it with a good mail-order hid bulb, but had the same result = it stays on for only several seconds before turning off. My wife refuses to drive this car at night or when it might be raining, and I won't risk her driving this car like that. If something happened to her, I suppose that I could sue Toyota, but that wouldn't undo any harm to my wife. Can someone do something about this"!" the Toyota dealerships are incredibly defensive about this, and not at all helpful. There hasn't been an accident, yet. But, driving with just one headlight is not safe !!!

- Cypress, CA, USA

Jun 012009

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius driver side headlamp is faulty--goes out intermittently. (lightbulb is not burned out, as light will come back on if the light switch is turned off and then turned back on.)

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 152010

Prius

My 2006 Toyota Prius had a problem with the headlights whereby one would go off and on intermittently. There was no apparent pattern as to when this would happen, although it seemed to occur after the headlights had been on for more than 10 minutes.;

- San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 042010

Prius

My 2006 Prius has a "winking" right headlight --- sometimes on, sometimes not. It is a high intensity discharge type. The car now has 70,000 miles on it but this behavior has been going on intermittently for over a year. I base that on the several times in the past year someone has told me the light was out but, when I went to look at the light, it was on! recently, I have witnessed it myself. I understand I am not alone with this problem. Hopefully, replacing the bulb will fix it but even that is an expensive proposition and the bulb may not be the culprit.

- State College, PA, USA

Sep 012010

Prius

The headlights on my Toyota Prius 2006 have been going out for the past month, more than once a day. I took the car to be inspected and was told I would need high resolution hid lights that would cost over $500. I went online and found out that tons of other people are having the same issue as me.

- Lake Oswego, OR, USA

Sep 222010

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius headlights come on and off. When they go off, you can turn off and on and they will come on. 2 years Toyota replaced left headlight for $300. This seemed to fix that, but they did not replace right at the time, which I wanted them to do. Now right does it. I can't afford $300 to replace bulb. Instructions for doing it yourself does not help. Unable to do according to directions, Toyota said they had to take off front end to it that is why so expensive.

- Quinton, VA, USA

Sep 142006

Prius

The hid headlamps of my 2006 Toyota Prius, simultaneously shut off. Turning them off and then on again restores them. Toyota's answer was to replace the bulbs as they will reportedly do this when they are on the verge of expiring. I have replaced both bulbs, and the problem was not solved, in fact it worse than ever, rendering my vehicle unsafe to operate after daylight hours. I replaced both bulbs with high quality oem bulbs, and the first time I drove the car after replacement, the lights shut off more than 10 times during a 13 mile trip. Please reconsider your finding from this case: PE09019 as these cars age, more and more people are reporting both headlamps shutting off - with the only solution being turning them off/on.

- Coupeville, WA, USA

Sep 142010

Prius

2006 Prius drivers side headlight intermittently stops working. If I shut off and restart from the switch they start up again.

- Grass Valley, CA, USA

Sep 122010

Prius

I have a headlight that goes on and off intermittently on a 2006 Prius. It cost me $273.13 to fix at the dealer. $273.13 for a light bulb!!!!!!

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Jun 102010

Prius

Vehicle: 2006 Toyota Prius hid headlights (usually passenger side) intermittent.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 282010

Prius

Vehicle: 2006 Toyota Prius headlights (passenger) intermittent or sometimes completely out for over an hour.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 102009

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius. Passenger side hid headlight extinguishes intermittently since about 40K miles. Dealers want upward of $700 to replace one light. At purchase the headlight was represented to last twice as long as standard headlights. Toyota engineering made it very difficult for a layman to replace the bulb. If/when the other headlight dies at night it could be tragic.

- Valencia, CA, USA