2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 9 of 40)

Oct 012007

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius left headlight goes off at random. Only way to get it to work is to turn the headlight off & turn back on. It occurs almost everytime the headlights are used.

- Ira Township, MI, USA

Jul 012010

Prius 4-cyl

My front headlights (hid) are unreliable. While driving, they go off spontaneously. By turning the on/off switch "off" and then "on, " the lights go back on. Sometimes the lights go out within minutes of turning the headlights on, sometimes it happens after 5-10 minutes of driving, sometimes it doesn't happen at all. It is most frequently the driver side light that goes out, but the passenger light goes out as well, and on at least two occasions, both lights went out at the same time. Often, because the roads are lit with street lamps well enough for me to see the road, I don't even realize my light(s) are out. This is extremely dangerous as my visibility to other, oncoming, cars is seriously reduced. I took the car to the dealer who suggested replacing both headlamps (at a cost of $172/each + $234 labor) but wouldn't guarantee that would solve the problem. The bulbs themselves are fine (and could conceivably continue working for another 5 years), so replacing them does not seem prudent as the problem would likely re-occur with new bulbs. I initially noticed this about 6 months ago, but it is happening more frequently now (several times a week vs. Once or twice a month six months ago).

- Collingswood, NJ, USA

Feb 022008

Prius 4-cyl

Purchased brand new fully loaded Toyota Prius in June 2006, the head lights are hid D4R and they keep turning off multiple times even during short drives, I have tried changing bulbs multiple times but to no avail, got it checked at the koons tysons dealership and they say nothing is wrong with ballast, the car has now crossed 100,000 miles everything else works except for the lights.

- Great Falls, VA, USA

Jun 012010

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius hid headlamp failure. Lights have been flickering for approximately 4 months and have finally gone out.

- Brandon, FL, USA

Mar 012007

Prius

Toyota Prius 2006: Headlamps go off intermittently, creating a very unsafe condition while driving.

- Exton, PA, USA

Nov 302010

Prius

I own a Toyota Prius 2006 touring model. Headlight of this vehicle keeps going out. I have already replaced the headlight of this vehicle twice. And the other bulbs in the car (non headlight) more than 4 times. All of them were replaced at Toyota authorized dealer.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Nov 182010

Prius

While driving from Arizona to Texas via interstate 20, the headlamps on my uncle's Toyota Prius just shut off. It was nighttime and I was driving at about 60 mph. This is dangerous. My uncle knew immediately that the Prius does this. I didn't. I had to pull over to the side of the road, shut the engine off and wait for some time before turning the car back on and getting the lights back. Fortunately, no cars came from either direction during this time. We could have been hit because it was very dark when this happened. It turns out that Toyota is aware of this problem. My uncle found several complaints online and notices about the problem from consumers. This problem needs to be fixed. People could get hurt.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 112008

Prius

We have a Toyota Prius 2006 after approximately 6 mos the left headlight started to turn off while lights were in use. Since the automobile was under warranty I return to the dealer to report the on going problem. Each time they tested it was working fine, however this not the case it keeps shutting down for no reason. I have repeated complain to the dealer with each service and regular maintenance. I would like to know if I any recourse to have to it repaired?? or issue a recall I have seen many complaints on the internet on this problem.

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Nov 142010

Prius 4-cyl

Intermittent headlight failure. Can be either headlamp. Usually the passenger side. They may come back on after turning the headlamps on and off. Lights are sometimes dim. Problem is intermittent, unpredictable. Sometimes the light goes out when I'm driving at any speed. The dealer says the part is $150 and requires removal of the bumper to replace.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Nov 272010

Prius

The front right headlight turns off occasionally during operation, but will turn back on when the lights are turned off and on again.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Aug 152010

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius headlamps go out randomly while driving at night. Usually just one of them turns off but sometimes they both go out. The problem can be temporarily fixed by flipping them off and then on but this solution only lasts for about 10 min.

- Del Mar, CA, USA

Dec 012009

Prius

2006 Prius headlights are intermittent, especially the driver's side. When you turn on the headlights they both go on, but the driver's side lights go out--at first others would tell us, then we would discover it ourselves. We reported this to the Toyota dealership at about 35,000 miles and were told the bulbs cost about $300 apiece, that it wasn't covered under the warranty. We've since found out that other Prius owners have experienced this same problem, that some have paid a high price to replace the lights and continue to have the same problem, which seems to indicate the problem isn't the bulbs! also there is controversy about the dealerships saying they have to remove the front bumper assembly to change the bulbs, when they can easily be replaced in about 10 minutes without removing the bumper! this headlight problem constitutes a very dangerous condition for which is seems bulb replacement isn't the answer. Toyota needs to admit there is a manufacturing problem for which they should supply the remedy. There should be an indicator light on the instrument panel that indicates if either headlight fails to operate.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Oct 162010

Prius

I've had a problem with my 2006 Toyota Prius, where my right headlight goes out intermittently. It will go out, and if I turn the headlights off and back on, it will come back on. Then, after a period of minutes, it will go back out again. It started about a month ago (at 77,000 miles), and has slowly gotten worse - the amount of time the right headlight stays on has become less and less (averages a couple minutes now). I replaced both headlight bulbs, and the problem persists, so it doesn't seem to be a bulb issue.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Oct 302010

Prius 4-cyl

I have a 2006 Toyota Prius and my drivers side headlight just turns off while I am driving. When I turn it completely off and then on, it comes back on for a little while and repeats the whole process again. I am lucky that one headlight is still on. If both headlights start behaving the same way, the driver will not know it and this could be a recipe for accidents and even death. I seriously think Toyota should recall affected models and fix the issue before it starts killing people.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 062010

Prius

Toyota Prius 2006 headlight goes on and off intermittently Toyota needs to recall these affected vehicles. Major safety issue.

- Woodland Hills, CA, USA

Oct 122009

Prius

Both passenger and driver side headlights flicker and go out intermittently, creating safety situation. Toyota dealer asking $400+ to fix for a product defect that has been extensively reported. Toyota head office gave short shrift. Problem began ca. 45K miles.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 172007

Prius

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the headlights would intermittently turn off. The contact would turn the lights off and turn them on again but they would turn back off suddenly. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer but the dealer could not duplicate the failure. The failure continued. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the vehicle was repaired (the contact was unsure of the details of the repair). The failure occurred again 30,000 miles after the repair. The contact called the manufacturer who offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The current mileage was approximately 67,000. The failure mileage was approximately 35,000.

- Palestine, TX, USA

Oct 262010

Prius

Hid headlight goes out intermittently. When starting the car both headlights are on, but on multiple occasions after returning home I notice from the reflection on a wall/item in front of the parked car that the driver-side headlight is completely out. I've also noticed a couple of times while driving that the driver headlight is out. It can't just be the bulb since the light comes on and goes off.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Oct 012010

Prius

The hid headlights on my Toyota Prius intermittently turn off at night.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Jan 012010

Prius

Faulty hid lightbulb about a year ago, I replaced the driver side hid lightbulb and now I have to replace the passenger side hid lightbulb. Similar symptoms leading up to both replacements: The light sometimes works and sometimes does not. If I notice that the light is not working and switch the lights off and back on, sometimes the faulty light will work and other times it will not. The light never seems fully burned out as it works intermittently. At night, this can pose a safety issue. Toyota has not been able to explain this issue and has only recommended replacing the lightbulb, which is quite expensive.

- New Tripoli, PA, USA