2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 16 of 40)

Jan 132010

Prius 4-cyl

Passenger side headlight goes off intermittently. If I notice the headlight is out I can turn my lights off then back on and the headlight that was out will come back on. I noticed it for the first time a couple of days ago. Updated 02/13/10 updated 02/16/10 updated 03/18/10 updated 09/21/10

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Jan 102010

Prius

Every couple of weeks, the front passenger side headlight goes out on my 2006 Prius. Sometimes both lights go out. This is terrifying at night and is a serious safety hazard. I found many similar complaints online and am very concerned and anxiously awaiting your response and action on this problem.

- Yorktown, VA, USA

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius headlights go out randomly creating an unsafe condition when driving at night. The headlight(s) will come on after turning off the switch. This has been a recurring problem since the vehicle was one year old. In one instance, both headlights went out which required and emergency stop. Both headlight have been previously replaced under warranty. The problem in now occurring most times the vehicle is operated at night.

- Finksburg, MD, USA

Jan 022010

Prius

The headlights on my 2006 Prius will turn off by themselves intermittently. They can be turned back on by turning them on and off. The issue started happening from about 30K miles, but when I took it to the dealer, they were working okay. This was about 2 years ago. It has continued to happen since then.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Dec 312009

Prius

Both hid headlights failed simultaneously on 2006 Toyota Prius with 43K miles while driving. Headlights had been on for about 5 minutes at the time they shut off. I pulled off into a parking lot, stopped the car, got out to verify that both headlights were off, and verified that the headlight switch was on. I turned the headlight switch off and back on, and the headlights re-illuminated. Driver's side headlight continues to fail randomly. It re-illuminates when the switch is turned off and back on again. Prior to both headlights failing simultaneously, the headlights had not flickered, turned off, or given any other sign of failure.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 052010

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius, both high intensity display (hid) headlights fail intermittently, headlight on drivers side replaced at 35,000, same problem with intermittent failure at 55,000 miles. There is no warning when the headlights go out, this is dangerous when driving and oncoming cars cannot see headlights from the other direction.

- Somerset, OH, USA

Dec 202009

Prius

Both headlights were going off intermittently. This is the 2nd time in less than 13 months that both lights had to be replace at previously a cost of $500 each and now at a reduce cost of approximately $300 each.

- Middle Island, NY, USA

Apr 072008

Prius

Head light turn off during driving. This is now happen frequently.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 152009

Prius

Driver side headlight intermittently goes out.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Nov 012009

Prius

My driver side headlight automatically turns off randomly. And it is getting more frequent. Both headlights turned off when I was driving on a freeway the other night. If I turn off the headlight on and off, it will work normally for a while.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 292009

Prius

I noticed that my right hid headlamp on my 2006 Toyota Prius was not working when I parked my car. I cycled the lights and the lamp came on, but it did appear to be dimmer than the left headlamp. I made an appointment for Jan 2nd, 2010 at my local Toyota dealership. Note that I had the same problem with my left headlamp in Feb of 2008. The dealership replaced the bulb under warranty, but indicated that the replacement would have cost $500+ if not for the warranty. I did not file a complaint with NHTSA on the first failure.

- Kent, WA, USA

Dec 012009

Prius

I have the same problem as many, many other Prius owners, with my 2006 Prius's hid lights going out while driving. When I realize that one or both lights have gone out, I flip the headlight switch and they come back on, only to go out again within seconds! Toyota says this is a dealer-only item and the hid bulbs cost $300 a piece! these bulbs are not available at auto parts stores. The price is exorbitant and very unaffordable for many people. This is a serious safety issue! Toyota should recall their priuses and fix this issue once and for all instead of ripping people off and putting their lives in danger! please help put some pressure on Toyota to do the right thing.

- Brentwood, TN, USA

Dec 282009

Prius

I have a 2006 Prius with the hid headlights and want to confirm that both bulbs have failed. The dealer agreed to replace them under warranty even though I have 47000 miles on the vehicle. I did complain about this a year ago and the dealer did nothing at that time. This problem is compounded by just today receiving a notice from Toyota about an hid headlight support program that lowers the price of the bulbs to $150 per bulb. This is still outrageous.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Dec 152007

Prius

The factory installed hid headlights periodically turn off. The first incident occurred two years ago, and I thought I had imagined it. I noticed dim lights and corrected the problem by quickly switching to bright lights. I was later told one head light was out while driving, but when I checked by exiting the vehicle both lights were on. The problem was very intermittent for two years primarily because I rarely drive at night. The problem is much more frequent now occurring multiple times per trip. I discovered that I can temporarily resolve the problem by cycling the head light switch ? not a safe tactic. An internet search today revealed this to be a common problem. Surprisingly, we have not received a notice from Toyota. This is clearly a dangerous factory defect. If Toyota will not issue a recall, please demand that they at least acknowledge the problem and issue a notice listing the parts needed to correct the problem. Please take immediate action before the problem causes serious accidents.

- Oregon, IL, USA

Dec 292009

Prius

Hid head lamps turn off at random, one or the other, sometimes both at the same time. Turn off the lights and turn them back on and they relight.

- Hawley, MN, USA

Prius

Every two years, the headlights of my 2006 Toyota Prius begin to fail and start to turn off, unexpectedly, while I'm driving. Several times, I've driven long distances at night, completely unaware of the fact that they had shut off, and later they appear to be working fine. At 20,000 miles, I had both lights replaced by the dealership. Less than two years later, the driver's side headlight stared to fail again. The dealership paid for the light, but charged me $120 for the labor. Seven months later, the passenger side light began to fail. Again, the dealership paid for the bulb but charged me for the labor. After the third repair, I called the Toyota experience center. They said that their new customer support program would not cover reimbursing me for the labor. I'm concerned that now in addition to the risk, time and expense I've already incurred, that I will have to add "preventative headlight replacement" to my list of required maintenance of my vehicle, and it will cost me another $600 every 2 years to drive my vehicle safely at night. Because the way the hid light fail does not give the driver any warning or notification. The lights both illuminate at start up, and only fail while you're driving. I appreciate Toyota paying for some parts of the repairs, but I think they are failing to fully address this very dangerous situation, and have saddled their customers with an unreasonable expense. When you can replace a headlight by yourself every five years for a couple bucks, it's reasonable. When it costs $300 per headlight every two years, that's not reasonable. I filed a previous complaint after the 2nd time the lights failed in May 2009. This is the third incident with this car, and the 2nd time I'm filing a complaint here.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Prius

Driver's side hid headlight occasionally goes out while driving. This started a month or two ago but I'm reporting yesterday's incident because I have just found out via internet forums that a significant number of other 2006 Prius owners are also experiencing this problem. Turning headlights off then on again fixes the problem. No problem so far with passenger side lamp which has obviously been used with the same frequency and duration. This has not caused an accident yet, but if this were to happen with both headlights it would be very dangerous.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Nov 152009

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius hid head lights turn off on their own while driving at night. Light bulb defect is intermittent. When brought to repair facility, both bulbs working fine.

- Aylett, VA, USA

Sep 162009

Prius

The right front hid headlamp of my 2006 Toyota Prius keeps cutting out and then comes back on when I turn the lights off. I have replaced both bulbs, but the same thing has happened. The problem started in 2008, stopped after I changed the bulbs and started again not even a year later.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Dec 012008

Prius

After about 40,000 miles, the driver's side headlight in my 2006 Toyota Prius started blinking off (I.e., it would turn off, but then if I switched the lights on and off, it would be on again).

- Santa Cruz, CA, USA