2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 22 of 40)

Jun 012009

Prius

Both hid head lights on Prius 2006 fail intermittently after only 40,000 miles. Toyota is refusing to replace them, even though they can fail without warning during night. It is just a mater of time before someone is killed.

- Pacific Palisades, CA, USA

Sep 012009

Prius

Headlight is intermittent. Possible faulty ECU board.

- Valley Village, CA, USA

Jan 122009

Prius

Hid headlamp(s) failure of my 2006 Prius. One (1) lamp can be intermittent (off & on) without driver being aware of it, but when both of them go out you are immediately in the dark and that's what happened to me. Total outage only happened one (1) time, then the dealer replaced the bulbs. The car had 45,000 miles on it at the time.

- Campbellsville, KY, USA

Jul 032008

Prius

I have a 2006 Toyota Prius with hid headlights. The right lamp started shutting down without warning when the car was about 18 months old and 16,000 miles. Then in a few weeks, the left lamp started doing the same. Through out a typical week, the right lamp shut down about once very 3 times I drove it. The left lamp would shut down about once every 5 to 6 times I drove it. Both lamps could shut down in any single trip. I took it to the dealer and they would not fix it unless it failed in their shop. I said that it could sit there for a day or two before either one of them shut down. About 3 hours later, the right lamp shut down.....they fixed it no charge (it was under the normal 36/36 warranty....but said it would not be fixed under the extended warranty - which I bought for about $1000 when I bought the car). I asked about the "failing" left lamp and they said it too had to fail. I asked what if it failed the next evening (Sunday).....they said that I should pull over and call them.....which was not possible as they are closed after their normal hours and do not take calls. Well, the left lamp did shut down again within the week. I pulled over and took a picture of the left lamp out and the right one on. Since then, the left lamp goes out nearly every time I drive the car and headlights on. This is most of the time, as I always drive with my lights on for conspicuity and safety (have done this for over 35 years in all cars that I drive). I essentially do not drive this car now until I get the left lamp fixed....and I will not pay the $460 that the dealer wants to charge. This is a design defect and a significant safety problem with these cars. Toyota must take accountability and fix this problem at their cost. You cannot have a safety component/sub-system fail without warning.....on this many cars (many, many reports). I solicit NHTSA's support in forcing Toyota to schedule a safety recall for these vehicles. I want all of us to drive safely.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jul 102009

Prius

My Toyota Prius 06 had issues with the hid headlights. They started to flicker off at about 35,000 miles until eventually, they stopped working entirely. The warranty covered the replacement of the bulbs and so I was satisfied. Unfortunately, the issue has surfaced again, this time I'm at 57,000 miles and only 1 year and 6 months later. Now they are saying the warranty is up and I need to pay almost $1,000 dollars to fix this problem. Details of issue: The lights would flicker and dim, then eventually produce no light. It happened on both sides left and right the first time. Switching them off then on would make them work again at first, but eventually, that did not work. The second time, it is happening on my passenger side headlight. Same exact issue.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Jul 142009

Prius

I've got a package 6 2006 Prius. The headlights keeps going out. Sometimes its just the passenger side and sometimes both. I can't really tell when or how it goes out. If I turn the bright lights on and off it has no effect, but when I turn them all the way off and back on the light comes back. Sometimes on long trips it will stay on the whole time, sometimes it won't. sometimes on short trips it will go out, sometimes it won't. the problem with intermittent hid headlight operation appears to be common with the Prius.

- Royal Palm Beach, FL, USA

Feb 062008

Prius

I own a 2006 Prius- the headlights do not function properly. While driving in the dark (and day) either the right or left headlight turns off. This is so unsafe. First the dealer explains there are some issues with other customers; then they admit there are many issues. When searching online I come to release there is a big issue. To date Toyota has not recalled this safety issue.

- Schuylerville, NY, USA

Jan 012009

Prius

My 2006 Toyota Prius with hid lights has a serious safety issue in that at any point while I am driving, one or both of the headlights will flicker, dim, and eventually turn off. The only way that I can get the headlights back on is to turn the headlight switch all the way off, then turn it back on again, causing my car to be without headlights for at least two seconds each time I must do this. At times, it is difficult to notice that one light has gone out, and on multiple occasions, I have found myself driving without any headlights as they have both turned off due to this electrical/bulb failure. I am very afraid of driving at night, as at least one headlight, if not both, will turn off about every thirty seconds. It is very dangerous for the headlights to turn off without any warning. I have contacted Toyota and they claim that bulbs are not covered under warranty, so they will not pay to fix the problem. The dealership has quoted me at $1,500 to replace the bulbs and computer ECU unit, which is an exorbitant amount to pay for something that is clearly defective and very dangerous.

- West Covina, CA, USA

Sep 012009

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius headlights problem. The front passenger headlights shot off by itself and I have to turn the headlight switch on and off several time and the headlight will turn back on again. I feel it was very dangerous when driving at night when the headlight turn off by itself and I got a fixed ticket by policy because of defected headlight.

- Woodbury, NY, USA

Aug 022008

Prius

We purchased our 2006 Prius from stafford Toyota, stafford, va in Aug. 2006. Just short of a year, we started having a problem with the driver's side headlight that we just thought to be a loose bulb and when going down the road it would pop back on and my husband being out of town alot with his job, never took it in. Then a year and a half into owning the car the light would not come back on until you recycled by turning off and back on the switch, which is un-nerving since other motorists don't have a clue as to why you are doing it. Then at 43,000 miles the passenger headlamp began doing the same and by 52000K miles we had loss of both headlamps for periods of time to where the problem became to blatant. We then began looking into the problem and found online that other's were having the same problem and called corporate directly after hearing many people were took by their dealers for several hundreds of dollars, which never fixes the problem. Corporate has agreed to pay for replacement, but cannot tell me my recourse after todays repair and I am afraid we have a lemon and wonder what can be done. Will they also pay for a ticket that may be issued when it starts to happen again? the parts taken off were kept by the dealer, and we have faxed the replacement request for reimbursement to the corporate level for immediate reimbursement.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Jul 092009

Prius

Toyota Prius 2006 with 50K miles was in auto accident, hit from behind; 1 week after car repairs completed, headlights went out while driving at night; tuned them off then on, stayed on that evening; following day headlights went out, again, would need to turn lights off then on to get light; then they were dim or would go out; went to Toyota dealer, said it was unusual for lights to be out at 50K mileage, said could be because of accident, I addressed it with insurance company who did not consider the lights related to the accident, Toyota dealer told insurance company the accident would not have caused the lights to go out, I was told the cost to replace both headlights would be $537.60. Lights have yet to be replaced so I am unable to drive at night.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Aug 262009

Prius

Toyota Prius 2006 headlight failure on passenger side at 67,000+ bulb fixed and it failed again immediately.

- Ithaca, NY, USA

Sep 012007

Prius

I have a 2006 Toyota Prius on which both hid headlights intermittently fail. I started observing the problem around with around 40,000 miles on the car. The most frequent occurrence is that only 1 light goes out, though on more than one occasion, both headlights have failed simultaneously. When I approached my Toyota dealer with the problem, pointing out that it appears to be a defect and a significant safety concern, they told me the bulbs need to be replaced and this is not covered under my extended warranty. Though I did not get a written quote, the cost was identified at about $350 + labor and taxes per side. I expressed my significant concern at this cost for an issue which appears to be a design or manufacturing defect and I was only directly to contact the Toyota customer care center.

- Huntington, VT, USA

Mar 112009

Prius

I have an intermittent driver's side headlight on my 2006 Prius. I have been stopped by the police for safety reasons and I am concerned as it goes out, without warning, at night. The frequencies is every few minutes of so. I must continually switch the lights off and back on to get the headlight working for a few minutes. Toyota knows of this problem but will not acknowledge it or fix it. The dealer knows of the problem but insists that I spend over $600 for a headlamp. (they later agreed to give me the lamp but want a $200 "deductible" to fix it.) I have been trying to get this fixed for over a year now but have had no results.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Apr 152009

Prius

Toyota Prius - 2006 - headlights intermittent operation.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Dec 152008

Prius

Standard headlight failure in a 2006 Toyota Prius. I've replaced 4 sets of bulbs since December 2008. The bulbs fail in normal operation, typically the low beam fails first, then the high beam. Generally both bulbs fail within a few hours of each other. I've had he car to the dealer twice for this problem. The first time, they could find no problem. The second time - today - they say the sylvania silverstar bulbs I've been using aren't Toyota parts so that's the problem, not the car. I was convinced this is defect in the vehicle that the dealer just can't be bothered to identify, but after a brief google search I found that I am not alone. Most complaints involve hid systems, but there are numerous posted complaints involving the standard headlight system installed on my car. This is a serious safety defect and it will lead to serious injury and/or death if it is not investigated and corrected quickly. Please intervene on my behalf and on the behalf of all the other Prius owners who are getting no support from Toyota in resolving this defect.

- Vienna, WV, USA

Aug 252009

Prius

I own a 2006 Toyota Prius. One or both of the headlights go off while driving. Turning the light off then on will bring the lights back on. Apparently this is a problem shared by many Toyota owners with the high intensity discharge bulbs. (deduced by online blog chat) replacing the bulbs seems to require replacing a headlight light control ECU sub-assembly. Working headlights can run close to $900. Toyota rationalized this extremely expensive system by estimating that it would last 7 years and provide better light. My vehicle is only 3 yrs and 8 months old so those bulbs didn't live up to their life expectancy. Also, I would say that on my own subjective evaluation the headlights always appeared rather dim. The light seemed just barely acceptable.

- Oakdale, CA, USA

Aug 252009

Prius

I have an intermittent problem with passenger side hid light on my 2006 Toyota Prius. Several people have informed me that the light was out. When I checked the light it was back on and working. I find from the internet that this is a huge problem with the 2006-2008 Prius. I am attempting to get the Toyota dealer to solve the problem. It is a highway safety issue that Toyota needs to resolve with a recall.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Aug 132009

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius, L headlight has been turning itself off while driving. On 8/13/09 both headlights began turning off while driving. I was able to turn lights off and back on again and lights came on for a few minutes then started turning off again.

- Mantua, NJ, USA

Jun 012008

Prius

The passenger side headlamp on my 2006 Prius will unexpectedly turn off. If I quickly turn the lights off and on again, then it will usually fix the problem but not all of the time. This headlamp failure happens about 80% of the time that I use my headlamps. The dealer wants $1700 to fix the problem which they say has an unknown cause. The cost is excessive for me at this point.

- Newport Beach, CA, USA