2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 23 of 40)

Aug 152009

Prius

Hid lights intermittently failed. Sometimes turning them off and then back on would temporarily "fix" the problem. Replaced driver's side light several months ago. Just replaced the passenger side light today at the dealer, costing over $250.

- Jackson, MI, USA

Jun 262009

Prius

My 2006 Toyota Prius has a problem with headlights going out intermittently. Toyota says they replaced lights after we insisted there was a problem. They noted problem was caused by a short that they say nothing about fixing. It took 2 visits to get problem resolved due to intermittent nature. I think this is a defect and dangerous. They need to address this problem. There are numerous postings on web of this and all indications are that lights and control modules have problems. I am writing to national center for dispute settlement, but think ODI needs to step in. Thanks.

- Pearblossom, CA, USA

Aug 062009

Prius

I own a 2006 Toyota Prius. I am experiencing failure of the headlamps for the second time in 15 months. Last year when the headlights would go out while driving, turning off the headlights and then turn them back on the lights would have the light working again for a short time. I had the lights replace last summer and they then worked. Now the issue is starting again. I have own many different cars and have never had to replace headlights multiple times in 15 months.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Aug 012009

Prius

Multiple failure of hid headlights which dim or go out. Bulbs and modules have been replaced many times in the past.

- North Chelmsford, MA, USA

Sep 062008

Prius

I complained to my service dealer about a front headlight in my 2006 Prius that kept turning off. I was told that to repair the problem it would require a new part to be installed at a cost of approx. $400. I indicated at the time that I was unprepared financially to pay $400 to fix the issue. In the meantime I have discovered that this is a known issue with quite a few Prius models. In fact currently I consider this problem to be a major safety issue as very often my left, right and sometimes both headlights will shut off while driving the car. This is extremely dangerous at night as I have found myself driving on the road and both headlights shutting off at the same time. The work-around for this safety hazard is currently to turn off and turn back on the headlights but as you can see this is not a permanent solution. I love everything else about this car except for this dangerous problem and feel that as a consumer I should be able to drive a car in which I am confident the headlights will not automatically shut down while driving. There is obviously some fault in the design or performance of the headlights mechanism and Toyota should perform a recall on this, or at least pay for the necessary fixes to repair this issue.

- West Hartford, CT, USA

Aug 092009

Prius

Hid headlight on 2006 Toyota Prius turned off while driving, has happened more than once.

- Muscatine, IA, USA

Aug 012009

Prius

Intermittent hid headlights of Toyota Prius 2006-2009: The hid headlights tend to fail intermittently after the vehicle is 2 -3 years old. These lights can be restarted by switching the headlights off then back on. It is only a matter of time before both lamps will fail in a serious situation and serious injury or death will occur. I highly recommend that Toyota be made to recall these vehicles and either change out these lamps or replace them with some other lamps that have definite failure so that the owner knows they must be replaced. The cost to replace the headlights is very expensive and Toyota should also be forced to modify these vehicles to encourage headlight replacement asap.

- Little River, CA, USA

Sep 012008

Prius

Headlights fail intermittently while driving. Headlights work again after light switch is turned all the way off and on again. This appears to be a frequent problem with this car based on internet postings.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Mar 062009

Prius

The headlights on my 2006 Toyota Prius start going out on their own after about 18 months. I had both replaced in fall of 2007 and they both started to fail again in spring of 2009. They will both go out on their own while I am driving or one at a time will go out. Turning the switch completely off and back on turns the headlights back on.....for awhile.

- Marysville, WA, USA

Aug 072009

Prius

On my 2006 Toyota Prius, the hid headlamps frequently flicker and turn off at differing times. I've had the connections checked in case something was loose, but all connections were tight. I'm worried the lights will shut off when I'm in an area with no streetlights to light the road, thus potentially causing harm to myself and my occupants.

- Westminster, CA, USA

Aug 072009

Prius

Hid headlamps on a 2006 Toyota Prius will shut off at random times. Turning the lights off then back on will re-engage the headlamps. There have been times where both lamps have shut off at the same time.

- Morgantown, WV, USA

Jul 312009

Prius

I have a 2006 Prius with hid headlights. The car has approximately 60,000 miles on it and the headlights will go off intermittently. If one goes out, I can turn the lights off, then back on and they will both work. My concern is if they both go off at an inopportune time. Also, the driving tail lights react the same way. Sometimes they work, sometimes they do not. I have read this article as well....www.allaboutprius.com/blog/1022113_high-intensity-headlight-horrors-perplex-Prius-owners.

- Aspen, CO, USA

Aug 022009

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius - headlights flicker on and off intermittently for no apparent reason. Headlights will dim until they are totally dark. If I turn them to off and then turn them on, they will stay on for a period of time. It seems to be a random occurrence that happens several times a week.

- Hamilton, VA, USA

Aug 102008

Prius

Toyota Prius 2006 headlights intermittently shuts off. It is temporarily fixed by manually turning the headlight switch off and on but this will only last for 2 minutes before it turns off again. It started with the driver side first and now both lights are affected.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Jul 152009

Prius

For no apparent reasons, both my right and left hid headlights (2006 Prius) intermittently will go off independently and at random times. Sometimes while night driving I cannot see the road very clearly at all because only 1 light will be on. Turning the switch off and back on will temporarily re-light them, but during the 'off' time I've almost no visibility for a second or two.

- Arnold, CA, USA

Sep 222007

Prius

2006 Prius high intensity discharge (hid) headlight goes off without warning. Hid goes off after being on for only a few minutes. Turning headlights off & then back on turns the hid on, but it goes off again (sometimes after only a couple of minutes & other times after a longer period of time).

- Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Jul 242009

Prius

My 2006 Toyota Prius has 58,000 miles. The passenger side hid headlight intermittently goes out on low beam. The high beam will not work. Toyota wants $150 for the bulb plus installation costs. I have visited many web based sites that indicate this is a wide spread problem. I believe you should require Toyota to fix this problem.

- Talbott, TN, USA

Jul 312009

Prius

20-06 Toyota Prius with hid headlight failure.

- Chico, CA, USA

Jun 102008

Prius

The hid head lights on my Prius burned out quickly, and very expensive and difficult to replace the bulb, and then burn out again! I am currently driving around dangerously with just one head light.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Jun 012009

Prius

Intermittent headlamp failure while driving. Turn lights off and back on and lights work. Headlight assemblies both sides replaced 1/2008 replaced bulb passenger side 6/1/2009 and driver side 7/31/2009.

- Avon, IN, USA