2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 25 of 40)

Jul 102009

Prius

My 06 Toyota Prius has the hid headlamps. At about 40,000 miles the left hand lamp began going out at odd times and coming back on again by turning the switch off and on again. Before I got Toyota to agree to replace them (at $850) I was driving down a dark road with no moon at night and they both went out on a turn. That was when I increased my complaints and they replaced them at Toyota cost. The car now has about 76,000 miles and the left lamp is acting the same way. I will replace the lamp and complain to Toyota, but feel this is a safety issue and the lamps should be redesigned or recalled en-masse.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Aug 012007

Prius

While under warranty, driver side headlight flickered and would go out. It would always come back on after turning the headlights off and on again. Same thing happened a few months later with passenger side headlight. Dealer replaced or repaired both at different times while under warranty. No longer under warranty, and I have paid for a replacement headlight once. At present, both headlights flicker and go out, now with remarkable regularity. Fortunately, turning them off and on again corrects the problem for a few minutes, so I have never been forced to stop driving at night (although I have been stopped for driving with only one headlight at times). At this time, I am at the point where I turn my headlights off and on every five minutes day and night. It has become a nervous tic.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jun 272009

Prius

Intermittent headlight failure on Toyota Prius (2006) headlights (hid) without warning. Teenage driver received two summonses for driving at night without lights. Toyota (dealer and corporate) recalcitrant re:acknowledging problem (confirms lights working normally) requiring replication in shop (charging diagnostic fee to examine whether lights are off or flickering) despite law enforcement summonses.

- Tuxedo, NY, USA

Jun 012009

Prius

I have a 2006 Prius with hid headlights and have noticed that on one occasion one of the headlights was out. The problem was intermittent as turning the headlights off and on a little later fixed the issue. I understand that this is a common problem at this time with the Prius and wanted to lodge a safety complaint against Toyota on the issue.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Jul 082009

Prius

Headlights work intermittently. Have changed the light bulb modules twice and the problem still occurs.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Jun 282009

Prius

I have a 2006 Toyota Prius with less than 45,000 miles. The driver's side headlight is either failing to light, lighting and then going out at some point while driving, and sometimes can be reset. Cost to fix is between $400-500 and is not covered by warranty. Problem could lie in the computer that controls the headlights and may be causing damage to these bulbs that run around $150 or more each. If that is so, then this problem will reoccur.

- Nicholasville, KY, USA

Jul 052009

Prius

My 2006 Toyota Prius had intermittent headlight failure for over a year - I am aware from Prius owner website of several hundred others with this same problem. After being stopped for faulty equipment, stranded in an extremely dangerous area of downtown miami, I paid $963 on 6/26/09 to have both hid sub-assemblies replaced. They failed again on Sunday July 5, less than two weeks later when I was on the fl turnpike, over 150 miles from home, miles from a rest stop or help, alone and in the dark. I was forced to drive in the dark for miles before I could pull over and wait until daylight. Toyota has been made aware of this dangerous issue but have done nothing to correct it. It is not a mileage issue - I have put less than 200 miles on the car since the blasts were replaced. Someone is going to be badly hurt if Toyota does not step up and find a more permanent solution to the faulty hid ballasts.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Jul 042009

Prius

Failure of hid headlight on 2006 Toyota Prius.

- Durham, NC, USA

Jul 062009

Prius

I had the passenger side hid headlight fail on my 2006 Prius long before it should have failed. I have 40,600 miles on the car and have owned it since April of 2006.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Jan 012009

Prius

Both headlights on my 2006 Prius go off intermittently. When I turn the headlight switch on and off they come back on (until they fail again). This has been happening for over 6 months but was infrequent at first. Now the failures occur almost every time I drive the vehicle. I understand that many Prius owners have the same problem. Some have been charged as much as $500 per headlight to repair. This is not an ordinary issue of replacing worn out parts but is clearly a safety related engineering defect. I am trying to get Toyota to repair this without charge - but from what I know there should have been a recall to fix this problem.

- Wading River, NY, USA

Jun 262009

Prius

Hid headlights on my 2006 Toyota Prius both failed within the time frame of 2 weeks. This left me with only partial view at night. Notably, Toyota has not taken action to correct what is now becoming a glaring design safety defect. The cost to repair these lights is astronomical and the dealers have been taking advantage of customers charging very high prices for the bulbs and the labor to replace them. Unfortunately, the problem only returns and I expect to have this problem for the life of the car, leaving me at the mercy of Toyota corporate, who thus far has agreed to pay only a portion of the repair. In summary; the Toyota Prius has a design defect that causes the high intensity headlights to fail. At first they go on and off, then completely off. Due to the cost, many customers do not have these replaced. This should not happen on this vehicle.

- Bonita Springs, FL, USA

Jun 152009

Prius

I drive a 2006 Toyota Prius with the hid headlights. I read that my problem has been happening to a lot of Prius owners and their is an investigation started, so here's one more case to add to the books. One headlight would go out randomly. It would alternate between the passenger and drivers side, but would never happen to both lights at the same time. It would happen about every other day. There were no particular events that led to this problem starting, but I did notice that sometimes braking hard correlated with the light going out, but they went out without braking hard as well. Whenever one light went out, flipping the lights off and immediately back on would make both lights function again. I took it in for work 3 times. The ballasts got changed, then the bulbs got changed and the wiring harness checked, finally both the bulbs and ballasts were switched out with brand new ones of a different brand. It appears to be working so far. My mechanic probably still has the old parts if you wanted them. Consequences: I got pulled over twice for lights being out that I thought I had fixed, very irritating, luckily they understood and gave me warnings.

- Scottsburg, IN, USA

Dec 102008

Prius

NHTSA PE09019 - 2006 Prius, have had 1 passenger and three driver's side hid bulbs fail within 6 months.

- Cantonment, FL, USA

Apr 012009

Prius

The passengers head light works intermittently. When it goes out, if I turn the headlight on then off, it comes back on. I have hid headlights in the car.

- Westminster, MA, USA

Jul 012008

Prius

The left and right headlights sometimes go out independently of one another. Other times they both go out. Of course, this is not good while driving in darkness. Flipping headlight switch to off and back on fixes the problem, but sometimes it's only a temporary fix and I have to do it again a few minutes later, and other times both lights remain on. For unexplained reasons, the problem is occurring more frequently now. It seems that this is not uncommon in the Prius and I, myself, have seen other cars with a headlight out here in the burlington, vt area. In fact, a co-worker took his into the shop and they said it was a bad bulb. What I'm reading is that it's not the bulbs.

- Richmond, VT, USA

Jun 272009

Prius

Intermittent alternating hid failure that until last night had not involved both headlights at he same time until last night. Something faulty since replaced hid bulbs already. Safety issue when headlights go out the same time and you are driving on the highway. Luckily I was in town so pulled over and turned off switch and turned again and lights turned on for five minutes and then blinked out again.

- Platteville, WI, USA

Jun 152006

Prius

I own a 2006 Toyota Prius with high intensity discharge headlights. Both headlights go dim and then go out while driving independent of each other. Many times both will go out one right after the other. They do this often, but on a random basis. When the switch is turned off then on the come back on for a short period. The Toyota dealerships I have taken the car to say they think it is the bulbs, however they can not guaranty it. They also tell me that Toyota has a long back order on the bulbs. In reading a few hybrid web sites and blogs, I have read numerous other owners complaining about the exact same problem. When driving down a dark highway it is very dangerous to all of a sudden have no headlights on a car and then to be told that it will be over $750 to "maybe" fix the problem. The problem started with one light a few years ago and was sufficiently intermittent that after the $750 estimate I decided I could live with it. Now it happens often and to both lights.

- Lexington Park, MD, USA

Jun 102008

Prius

Toyota Prius 2006 model has issue with hid headlight sensor.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 252009

Prius

Hid headlights have failed 4 times in 3 years. Bulbs are burning out between one week and 16 months of being replaced. Crash will occur if both malfunction at the same time. Dealer where car was purchased replaced or repaired at no charge the first 3 times, but charged for the fourth. Old parts unavailable.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Jan 012008

Prius

The hid headlights on my 2006 Toyota Prius has a problem where it would randomly, without warning turn off, either at the same time, the left will go out, or the right, some times one then the other. There is no reasoning to it. I can most of the time get them to come back on by switching the switch off and then back on again. This has been occurring for about two years and seems to be happening more frequently. Dealer once quoted me close $800 for replacing the bulbs but declined since it was so expensive and I found out from other people that had the work done than it did not really fix the problem.

- Pearland, TX, USA