2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 26 of 40)

Jun 052009

Prius

Hid headlight on 2006 Toyota Prius safety issue. Passenger side headlight went out in Dec 07' at approx 34,000 miles - dealer replaced. Driver side headlight went out in Apr 08' at approx 39,000 miles - dealer replaced. Both headlights went out in Jun 09' at approx 64,000 miles. Dealer refused to replace indicating that the car is out of warranty. Toyota customer experience center contacted for assistance. Told that they have had complaints regarding this issue, but that they do not have to do anything because a recall has not been issued, but are willing to work with dealer on giving me some sort of goodwill gesture. This is a vehicle defect as well as a safety issue. Car is presently unusable after dark because of issue.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

May 012009

Prius

Headlight (hid style) flickers and/or goes out unexpectedly. Lights come back on after cycling them off and on again. But the problem still repeats itself under all driving conditions.

- Altoona, PA, USA

Jun 202009

Prius

I have a 2006 Toyota Prius. The drivers side headlight was intermittently going out. I had it replaced by a Toyota dealer. Now, the passenger side light is doing the same thing. Since both did not go out at the same time, I have not had an accident, but I am concerned that I might. I am afraid to take chances not replacing this one, even though the cost is about $300, because if both went out, I could have an accident.

- Buckhannon, WV, USA

Sep 152008

Prius

I have a 2006 and have been dealing with the passenger side light going off after 15 seconds for 6 months now. After contacting Toyota of America they didn't agree with me that there was any issue, they even went as far as to tell me that I couldn't believe everything that I read on message boards. I expressed my displeasure with the situation and complained that this is a safety hazard, they of course didn't agree. After paying nearly 200 dollars for a diagnosis I was told that I have a bad computer and the computer has now caused the light to be faulty as well and both need to be replaced for a mere 500+ dollars. Unfortunately I don't have an extra 500 just laying around in this current economy. The car is not in warranty as it has 90,000 miles and this problem started right after I hit 70,000 miles. Which just happens to be the miles for warranty of the lights. We'll I'm out of state at the moment and now the driver side light is going faulty. So now we're talking about a cool $1,000 to fix something that is a total safety hazard in which Toyota should do a recall and fix at their expense. Also my dvd nav system doesn't work either and hasn't now for some 7 months.

- Ringgold, GA, USA

Jun 182009

Prius

Toyota Prius headlight failure for the 5th time.

- Cupertino, CA, USA

Nov 012008

Prius

The driver side headlight on my 2006 Toyota Prius turns on and off. I took it to my mechanic to get it fixed and he told me the light was fine and there was no loose connection. He witnessed it turn off and told me it is probably some issue with the computer and he can't fix it. He told me to take it back to Toyota. Additionally, my radio volume goes up by itself when the car is hot. The light seems to turn off more when it is hot. It pretty much always turns off after 15 minutes of driving in the summer weather. It is unsafe when it turns off. I will take it back to Toyota to get it fixed. I have heard this is a common problem for the 2006 Prius. From the online blogs I found, I heard the costs will be between $1500 - $2800 to fix. This has been going on with my car for about 8 months that I am aware of. It is often hard to tell if the light goes off. If it goes out, I can turn the lights on and off and on again and it will work for another 20 minutes.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 162009

Prius

Passenger side hid headlamp was randomly turning off. Soon both the driver's side and passenger headlamps would go out while driving and with no particular repeatability or consistency. While driving at night this was a very dangerous situation. The hid headlamps sometimes would return if the headlamp switch was turned off then back on, but not always. No warning of the problem occurring would take place, I.e. when the car was turned on, the headlamps coming on was not an indication that they would stay on.

- Apex, NC, USA

Jun 052009

Prius

Headlights will intermittently go off. If you turn the headlight switch off and back on, it will usually come back on. I have been to the dealer three times about this in last year and half. Once they both went out on a dark highway! the brain, light assembly and bulbs have all been replaced, some multiple times. This appears to be a common Prius problem from what I see on the web and mechanics have confirmed it's a known issue.

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

May 302009

Prius

Periodic and unpredictable failure of driver's side hid headlight. Turning off and on corrects the problem, but then it goes out again. Car is just past 36 months, with 45,000 miles. Have noted many similar complaints in database and am aware of official investigation in progress.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Feb 152009

Prius

Hid lights regularly fail despite being replaced. Lights illuminate, then flicker and die, first the passenger side, then drivers side. If the lights are quickly turned off, then back on they will illuminate again for several minutes, then repeat the same failure. The fog lamps are unaffected.

- Wharton, NJ, USA

May 202009

Prius

I have a 2006 Toyota Prius with hid headlights with approx 26,000 miles. The driver's side headlight goes off intermittently, usually after 10 or 15 minutes. If I turn the lights off, and then back on, the headlight goes back on for another 10 or 15 minutes. It is impossible to tell when the light is out or not without seeing a reflection in the bumper of another car. Consequences are driving without headlights, obviously a dangerous situation. The car is out of warranty. Toyota will replace the bulb for $275. I have an extended warranty but this is not covered. It seems to be a very common problem with this year and model.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jan 012009

Prius

I am having the issue reported in NHTSA action number: PE09019. Issue with 2006 Toyota Prius exterior lighting: Headlights. Sometimes one of my headlights is off or is dim/flickering. Turning the headlights off and back on fixes the problem most of the time. I rarely use my high beams, but around christmas 2008 I was using my high beams and was either turning them off or on and all my headlights went out. I also had my fog lamps on and can't recall if they went out as well. Turning the headlights off and on brought back the headlights. I've had this issue with the headlights on and off since that time.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Apr 102006

Prius

I have a 2006 Toyota Prius with hid headlight system that constantly goes out. I am without headlights until I turn off the unit and turn them back on, this only last for a little while and I have to repeat the process. I have brought the car to Toyota dealer numerous times to have them fix the issue and they return the car to me without trying to resolve the problem. It is a very dangerous incident that can possibly cause and accident or serious injury. 1. normal driving, nothing out of the ordinary leads to the lights going out. 2. 10 minute drive... occurs atleast half the driving time. 3. taken to Toyota dealership 3 times to investigate and repair with no resolution.

- Honolulu, CA, USA

Mar 012009

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius, passenger side headlight goes out intermittently. Turning off and back on seems to correct.

- Leominster, MA, USA

May 182009

Headlights fail intermittently.

- Minnetonka, MN, USA

Jan 012008

Prius

Beginning February 2008, both hid headlights on my 2006 Prius would randomly turn off -- sometimes both at the same time if I'm not careful watching them. Turning the hid headlights off and back on will turn the headlights back on, but they will randomly turn off again. I've asked Toyota to investigate and they told me that it would cost $800 to replace the hid bulbs, as it requires removal of the front bumper to replace. They told me that they could not guarantee it would fix the problem, and that some other parts might need replacing as well. I believe this is a manufacturing defect as there are now over 500 complaints of this nature. In addition, one of my rear positioning lights is out. I've received fix it tickets for one headlight out and also this rear positioning brake light. Please issue a recall! as this is very unsafe that headlights can randomly turn off!!

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jul 012008

Prius

1) intermittent failure of the headlights (hid). Typically, passenger headlight will go out but now affecting driver's side headlight too. Sometimes, they will start working when the lights are turned-off and then on. It has been diagnosed as both problems with the ECU and the hid bulbs. 2) intermittent electrical failure affecting ability to put the car in park. I receive a message warning me that the "P" park could not be engaged and to park it on a flat surface (which I virtually always do). Some of these problems first manifested when the car was at 1,796 miles and 2 months old (documented by the dealer with a request to Toyota for technical assistance) but they were uncertain as to the problem and suggested we monitor it. Now, it is a frequent occurrence and a significant safety issue. It is 37 months since purchasing the car and it has 43K miles. I have an (essentially) worthless Toyota, 7-year, platinum, 100K mile warranty with 0 deductible, which will only cover the ECU (cost $678.66) but I will have to pay $927.02.

- Cypress, CA, USA

May 102009

Prius

Right rear tail light keeps going out. I have had it replaced or replaced it myself 7 times in the past 3 years with extended life units. It has been the only unit to go out in my vehicle. I have also noticed other Toyota Prius with the same tail light out in the past year and a half to two years. In six of those incidences, I was ticketed by the police.

- Rosharon, TX, USA

May 302009

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius headlights intermittently fail while driving. The hid headlights in our 2006 Prius will fail at an unpredictable interval. Both headlights will become inoperative individually, and at times simultaneously. This can be temporary remedied by cycling the headlight switch to the full off position, then back on. When headlight failure occurs while traveling at highway speeds this is very dangerous. On a trip from petersburg, va to alexandria, va, the headlights failed no less than 20 times. Not only is this a safety violation but the unpredictable nature of this issue may result in a traffic violation fine.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

May 072009

Prius

I was informed by the service manager at the Toyota dealer during a routine oil change that my driver's side headlight was beginning to fail. He warned me that it was flickering a bit after being turned on, and that this is commonly the beginning of the end for the bulb. I had noticed the flickering for many months, but was not aware that the bulb was actually going out completely. The headlight is now failing regularly, after just a few moments of being on. It will come back on again if turned off and then back on. I fear this as a safety issue, as well as the potential for me to get a moving violation from the police. Nothing has been done yet to fix the failure, as the dealer told me this was not covered. This issue falls under NHTSA recall campaign number: PE09019.

- Imperial, PA, USA