2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 27 of 40)

May 142009

Prius

While driving my 2006 Toyota Prius, the right headlight randomly turned off without warning, which could be very dangerous. Turning the light off and then back on would relight the light. The light finally went out and stayed out. I had the bulb replaced, which has temporarily fixed the problem. Researching the problem on line shows there are many Prius owners who experienced the same problem and are being charged $1000 to $2000 to repair. If both headlights go out at the same time, which has happened on some Prius's, this could cause a deadly accident. I believe this warrants an ODI investigation and a Toyota recall to fix this dangerous problem.

- Hadley, NY, USA

May 272009

Prius

The headlights on my 2006 Toyota Prius go out intermittently. I have arranged to have the headlights replaced, but in researching this problem, I have discovered that this seems to be incredibly common. I only have 43,000 miles on my car, so this is too soon to have to be replacing headlights at over $300 apiece - probably over $800 with labor. Having headlights suddenly go out is incredibly dangerous, and there should be a recall.

- Sterling, VA, USA

Jan 222008

Prius

The headlights on my 2006 Prius suddenly go off while I am driving at night. I asked the service department at Toyota of morristown in morristown, NJ to inspect the headlights at my 60K mile service and I was told there was no problem found. I continue to experience this problem. The driver's side light seems to only operate at 50% capacity when it does work.

- Hoboken, NJ, USA

Jan 012008

Prius

One or both headlights fail with no warning at increasing frequencies. Now almost every night. When I turn them off and back on they will work again for a period of time as short as five minutes. This has been occurring for about one year now.

- Hartford, CT, USA

May 212009

Prius

Intermittent hid headlight failure, initially affecting only one headlight. Most recent incident affected both headlights simultaneously while driving at night. Problem is resolved (temporarily) by switching off headlights and switching them back on, indicating that the bulbs and fuses are still functional.

- Frederick, CO, USA

May 152009

Prius

2006 Prius hid lights intermittent. While driving on a dark road on the way to work my lights went out, I turned off and turned on my light switch to get the lights to go back on. Luckily the road at the time was straight. If not I could had easily driven off the road and possibly traveled into a ditch and flipped over.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 192009

Prius

I own a 2006 Toyota Prius with high intensity discharge headlights. I have had numerous issues with the headlights malfunctioning. I have had one assembly completely replaced on the passenger side of my auto. Currently, the driver side light is also going out. The dealer has refused to repair the driver side light as Toyota has deemed the issue is not covered under my warranty and would result in an out-of-pocket cost of over $400. This poses a serious safety issue as the lights only work on an intermittent basis. Based on my research, I have determined that this issue is a pervasive issue with the 2006 Toyota Prius. There is a 130 page message board thread about the issue here: priuschat.com/forums/care-maintenance-troubleshooting/34584-headlight-problem.html. I strongly believe that this is an inherent issue that Toyota should address for all of the owners of a 2006 Toyota Prius with hid headlights. Thank you for your time.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 102009

Prius

I am filing a complaint regarding my 2006 Toyota Prius with regard to the headlights. I am experiencing the headlights turning off unexpectedly while driving at night. I have approximately 50,000 miles on the vehicle. I was told at the Toyota dealership in anaheim, California that it would cost me almost $500 to replace the headlamps but have since read that this is an ongoing problem with other Prius owners with approximately the same model year and mileage. I feel that this should be the responsibility of Toyota to recall this problem and have it fixed.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Aug 012008

Prius

Both of my headlight go off while I am driving from time to time, incident happening more and more frequently.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Nov 012008

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius hid headlights will flicker and eventually shut off after minutes of driving, I can turn them back on by flicking the headlight switch off then back on again but they randomly shut off causing a safety concern when driving at night.

- Rohnert Park, CA, USA

Apr 302009

Prius

Headlights (both, but so far just one at a time) turn off intermittently. Can't tell when it happens. Notice it in a reflection from the car in front. Can turn lights off and then on again to make them work. Just never know for how long.

- San Rafael, CA, USA

May 082009

Prius

I own a 2006 Toyota Prius. The left front headlight failed and was replaced on November 10, 2007 for $522.05. It failed again on May 8, 2009 and was replaced today for $274.28. The right headlight failed on January 1, 2008 and was replaced for $$187.50. The right headlight failed again on February 16, 2009 and was replaced for $272.64. There are nearly 500 NHTSA registered complaints regarding sudden loss of headlights on the 2005-2008 hid headlight equipped Toyota Prius automobiles. These complaints all describe an identical defect in the headlight systems of these cars: One or both headlights will unexpectedly shut off while driving the automobile. Clearly, having one or both headlights unexpectedly shut off while driving, especially at night, is a serious safety issue. In addition to the almost 500 registered NHTSA complaints there are hundreds of internet forum posts documenting the Toyota Prius hid loss of headlights issue. The NHTSA registered complaints and the forum posts provide a wealth of data describing the problem including: Accounts of suddenly having both headlights shut off while driving at night in traffic, Toyota's inability to provide a definitive overall fix, Toyota service department's failed attempts to correct the problem on individual cars, consumers paying for parts and service that do not correct the problem, consumers being forced to call Toyota corporate in order to get at least partial reimbursement on the up to $1,800 repair costs, repairs that last only few thousand miles, etc.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

May 122009

Prius

Intermittent functioning headlights in my 2006 Toyota Prius. I already had my passenger side headlight replaced by Toyota dealer under a technical service bulletin. The same problem occurred with the drivers side headlight. When looked at by the dealer the first time (mileage at 39K) no issue was found. Headlight went off and on intermittently for several months after that. When looked at by the dealer the 2nd time they indicated the ECU and hid bulb needed replacing for about $650. Not covered by warranty due to my mileage being at 45K and the warranty ended at 36K. This is a very common and well known problem with the Prius's so I believe the repair should be covered by Toyota.

- Geneva, IL, USA

Feb 182009

Prius

I have a 2006 Toyota Prius. About 3 months ago, I began to have an intermittent problem with the right headlamp. It will turn off while in use. The problem is solved by turning off and turning on the headlights. It only occurs after they are already in use. As I said, it is intermittent. It also occasionally flickers while in use. Toyota will only replace the entire headlamp, and charges around $500 per headlight to do it. The headlamps are hid, and from what I understand were supposed to last the life of the vehicle.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 052009

Prius

I have been experiencing a periodic failure of the high intensity discharge (hid) headlights on my 2006 Toyota Prius (package #6) with about 42,000 miles. The headlight that fails is usually the driver's side. I can get it to turn back on by turning off the lights and then turning them back on again. This happens occasionally, but seems to being happening more frequently over time. The dealer advises the repair is on the order of $500 and requires significant disassembly of the front of the car. I looked at a discussion forum for the car (priuschat.com/) which listed many similar experiences (some identical) for both the 2006 and 2007 models with hid headlights. The fact so many headlights fail the same way and at the same frequency indicates ac system problem. Toyota does not have a recall on this problem.

- Darnestown, MD, USA

Jan 112009

Prius

Like all the other notices from 2006 Toyota Prius owners, between 55,000 and 60,000 miles, the headlights of my 2006 Toyota Prius began an intermittent turn off while driving. The headlights came back on after turning the lights on and off quickly (a safety issue in itself!). started with the drive side light, then the passenger side began, which made me fearful of losing my headlights totally while driving. Was told that the "balast/computer" overheats & shuts down. Good solution to prevent a fire, I guess, but not good for driving safety. Replacement quote was $600 each -- dealer did give me a 15% discount, so ended up costing $510 each ($1,020 total!). called Toyota of America and they are investigating, but, based upon all of these complaints and my own experience, this is a real safety issue and needs to be corrected by Toyota. I love my Prius recommend it to everyone, but Toyota really needs to address this now.

- Basking Ridge, NJ, USA

May 072009

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius hid intermittent failure. Driver side and passenger side. Has been going on for 1 1/2 years.

- Savannah, TX, USA

May 012009

Prius

Driver side headlight shuts off intermittently but stays off until the headlights are turned off and then back on. This is the second time this failure has occurred. The hid bulb was replaced about 6K miles ago. The vehicle now has 41000 miles on it. This is a safety issue which Toyota needs to address quickly.

- Harleysville, PA, USA

May 032009

Prius

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. While driving various speeds at night, the passenger side headlight failed. The contact must turn the light switch on and off for the headlight to illuminate again; however, it fails again without notice. He stated that the failure was intermittent and is in the process of taking the vehicle to the dealer. The manufacturer will be notified. The failure mileage was 40,000 and current mileage was 100,000.

- Greendell, NJ, USA

Nov 152008

Prius

Right headlight turns off intermittently. Turning the switch off and on with turn the headlight back on. After a short period of time it will shut off again.

- Hollister, CA, USA