2007 Toyota Prius body / paint problems

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Mar 012013

Prius 4-cyl

The trunk latch cover has melted and the latch will not function most of the time. The problem started a couple of years ago. I have not replaced the latch due to the cost, but now it is worse and I often cannot open the hatch. The rubber cover on the latch gets soft and gummy in warm weather and gets black rubber on my fingers. I see numerous complaints on this issue and would assume there are many more owners who have not registered a complaint and may have paid a high price to get this fixed. It should be a recall by Toyota to fix for free and reimburse owners who have already had this repaired.

- Avondale Estates, GA, USA

Mar 202015

Prius 4-cyl

10700946 update--Toyota charged me $331.61 for the part and $182.15 for the labor.

Mar 202015

Prius 4-cyl

I tried to open the hatchback and the entire handle came off (over a foot long), connected to the car only by wires. I have previously reported to you (last year?) that the rubber gasket that gets pressed to open this hatchback was melting and sometimes would not open the hatch. I noticed many other similar complaints and have been waiting for Toyota to issue a recall. In the colder winter weather this was not such a problem. I called the dealer and they ordered the part and said they'll charge me $400 to replace. I said that I should not have to pay. I go in tomorrow to do this.

Jul 242012

Prius 4-cyl

The trunk rubber on the hatch latch is disintegrating. It's sticky and gooey making it difficult to open the hatch. The situation has worsened and sometimes, I can't open the trunk at all. This is happening to many 2007 Prius owners. I believe it is a defect in the rubber.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Jan 302015

Prius

The rubber covered latch to the trunk/hatch has disintegrated so it is impossible to open. This causes a safety hazard as I cannot access necessary safety equipment, including car jack, emergency sign, and jumper cables. I have read many other complaints about this piece on this model, and so believe it to be a defect of the substance used in the latch.

- Nashville , TN, USA

Jan 062014

Prius 4-cyl

Trunk/hatchback opener/latch melted. Latch is now sticky and very difficult to open. This is a hazard as someone could be trapped in the car because the rear hatch will not open.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 262015

Prius 4-cyl

The trunk latch has melted making it very sticky/gooey in hot weather and frozen solid (immovable) in cold weather making it difficult to open the hatch. The situation continued to worsen to the point of while attempting to open the trunk yesterday the entire back piece fell off the car. I can no longer open the hatch at all. This is both a serious safety issue (a life saving access point) and a serious quality defect that Toyota has chosen to ignore. In addition, the cost Toyota is charging for repair is exorbitant (over $500). Also, I've noticed that there are no complaints on later model Prius', so it appears that Toyota has fixed the problem at the expense of many. I do hope that NHTSA will look into this issue.

- Belvedere, CA, USA

May 012014

Prius 4-cyl

Liftgate latch rubber handle is disintegrating.

- Valencia, CA, USA

Nov 042013

Prius 4-cyl

The lift gate latch on the 2007 Toyota Prius is inoperative because of the melting of the rubberized substance that covers the liftgate mechanism. I believe this is a defect that many 2007 Toyota Prius owners have experienced.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Jul 052010

Prius 4-cyl

The hatchback latching mechanism has degraded to the point that it is nearly impossible to open in winter conditions. In the summer the exposed rubber parts became sticky and basically melted on your hand when you tried to open it. The latch also became harder to actuate. Now in the winter the latch requires so much force to open it that it is difficult to open at all.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Nov 012011

Prius 4-cyl

The rear latch of my 2007 Toyota Prius has degraded to the point that it is inoperable. The rear latch release has melted to the point that it ends up all over my hands when I attempt to open the rear hatch and does not open. I am unable to open the trunk. This is a major safety issue. I have two children under the age of 5 who are strapped into car seats. In the event of an emergency, the rear hatch may be the only way to access them. Obviously, if I am unable to access them, the failure could result in serious bodily injury or death to the passengers, including my children. I have contacted Toyota requesting that Toyota correct this problem on my car, but they have told me that: 1) they are unaware of the problem; 2) my car is out of warranty and I do not have an extended warranty; and, 3) they will not fix the car. Do people need to get injured or die before Toyota reacts?

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Apr 252014

Prius 4-cyl

Water collects in wheel well when driving in wet conditions.

- Scarborough, ME, USA

Oct 012014

Prius 4-cyl

The back latch of my 2007 Toyota Prius has degraded ("melted" almost). It no longer functions properly, and I am unable to open the back hatch door easily. Sometimes it requires considerable effort and perseverance to get it open. I am concerned that in the case of an emergency, I will not be able to get the door open. This is a major cause for concern and it is a serious safety hazard.

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

Sep 012014

Prius 4-cyl

Exterior rear hatch latch handle sticky/melting. Must use rag to avoid touching the mess when using the door. Latch and lock operation has become unreliable and hatch must be slammed to ensure closure. Practically identical to complaint id 10632829.

Sep 192012

Prius

2007 Prius rear hatch latch melted off. The rear hatch will not open. There is no way to get to emergency equipment and spare tire. This is an extreme safety issue. Please issue a nation recall as this repair is not covered by under warranty.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Sep 252014

Prius

The cover to the back hatch latch has melted into a gooey black mass this makes it difficult (at best) to open the back hatch. There is no alternative internal method for opening the hatchback/trunk, . since the spare tire and tire changing gear (jack, wrench, etc.) are stored in the back, this is a serious safety hazard. This is an obvious defect in the material used for the latch cover - the deterioration of this part can in no way be attributable to neglect or abuse on the part of the driver/owner of the vehicle. Should be recalled and replaced by Toyota.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 122014

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 072013

Prius 4-cyl

The rubber on the rear hatch latch was defective and degenerated into a pile of goo, making it difficult to open the rear hatch door. This is a well-known defect for this model and year, but Toyota has so far not made an extended warranty to have the problem repaired at no charge to the owner of the vehicle.

- Asheville, NC, USA

Aug 042009

Prius 4-cyl

The rubber cover of the external trunk latch has melted. On many occasions, the latch opens only after many attempts. A web search found many other owners who complain about the same problem.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Jul 312014

Prius

Rear hatch release latch has been getting stick to the touch and increasingly difficult to open. Tried cleaning the latch and discovered that the rubber covering the latch seems to be melting. Checked online and discovered that this seems to be a common problem and, if not corrected, will likely result in latch release switch failure. The location of the rubber latch release cover protects it from direct sunlight and there seems to be no reasonable explanation for the failure of this part other than a defect in manufacture.

- Weatherford, TX, USA