1.3

2007 Toyota Prius engine problems

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 202016

Prius

Takata recall. My car won't shut off. They say the instrument panel cluster needs replaced. It has been on back order for 13 days so my car is useless. I can't drive it. I paid either 23,000 or 28,000 for it and have kept it maintained. The Toyota place says they have another lady that's been waiting 3 days less than mine. I called California Toyota. They can't tell me anything - but today told me it might be on back order. This is a safety issue. A car that won't shut off is a danger. It could kick into gear. It could damage the motor. A car that you can't tell how much gas is in it can be a problem as well. I can't drive it. The speedometer won't work. This is a problem with safety as if you can't tell what speed you are going you risk tickets. The Toyota place in birmingham has replaced 30 of these instrument clusters. If that is representative nationwide there is a big problem and these cars should be recalled. I only have 150,000 miles approx. On my car. The salesman told me it would last at least 300,000 miles. I had to replace the $4800 battery at 103000 miles. My other gripe is they didn't tell me until 13 days later it was "probably" on back order. I wouldn't have rented a car for 13 days had I known it was "probably" on back order.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Oct 012015

Excessive oil consumption - 1 qt per 1,000 miles

- Hartland, WI, USA

Feb 102016

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the gauges randomly flickered on the dashboard, the brake system failed and then the vehicle stalled several times as the failure progressed. The dealer and the manufacturer indicated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V536000 (engine and engine cooling, hybrid propulsion system). The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for inspection and diagnosis. The failure mileage was not available.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Jan 122012

Prius

Engine oil disappears constantly. There is no apparent leakage of engine oil. Have taken to Toyota dealers during servicing many times since than and mentioned the problem. They couldn't figure out why it is happening. In order to keep engine oil in recommended level I have been pouring recommended grade engine oil (5W30) every other week.

- Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA

Dec 012015

• 1,000,000 miles
Wife backed vehicle up then shifted to drive.multipal dash warning lights came on. Vehicle was stopped and shut off. An attempt was made to restart the vehicle to move it back to a parked position. The vehicle could not be put back into drive or reverse. Had to manually push the vehicle to a parked position. It was lucky that this took place on our property in front of our residence and not a busy public roadway. Had the vehicle towed on a flatbed to a Toyota dealer approx. 50 miles away. Toyota dealer advised later the transaxle/transmission failed. Found a Toyota "technical service bulletin" dated July 7,2006 specifically dealing with this issue in the 2004 to 2007 Prius. Document title: M.I.L. "on" dtc P0aa6 or P3009, information codes 526 & 613 models '04- Prius. In the document it states "the transaxel assembly has been improved to prevent this condition." Bottom line is Toyota is aware of the faulty equipment mentioned above and has not addressed the problem properly to recall the vehicles with this issue even though this is an obvious safety issue.

- Montague, CA, USA

Sep 132015

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning, while driving approximately 60 to 70 mph, the vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic control module and the electronic water pump failed. The dealer stated that the repair for NHTSA campaign number: 12V536000 (engine and engine cooling, hybrid propulsion system) was performed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 167,000.

- Bakersfield , CA, USA

Sep 052015

Prius

I'm the original owner and do my own regular oil changes at the manufacture specified intervals of 5000 miles. This last time I noticed not much oil coming out of the drain pan, poured it back into an empty oil jug to measure and yes only 1.5 quarts drained out. I haven't seen any smoke or smelled any oil burning and no obvious leaks. I don't run the engine hard or at high speeds (less than half my driving is interstate) but can't figure out why it's all of a sudden started using oil. When I searched online it seems to be a common failure with Prius over 100K miles. I want to add my other Toyota and Honda vehicles have lasted well over 200K and 180K miles with no engine troubles at all (I also do the maintenance on them)

- Opelika, AL, USA

Sep 082015

Prius

I thought this vehicle had a waterpump recall...for this model Prius and I never got one... engine overheated and waterpump became broken..

- Dallas, TX, USA

May 162015

Prius

On May 16, 2015, while driving my second-generation 2007 Toyota Prius on the freeway, I experienced a sudden loss of power, along with the illumination on the instrument panel of the malfunction indicator light, master warning light and hybrid warning light. I was able to maneuver the car to the side of the road and summon emergency help. A nearby Toyota dealership replaced the hybrid inverter water pump, which fixed the problem. However, the dealership did not advise me of a safety recall. Toyota customer experience center today stated that the original hybrid inverter water pump was replaced on April 7, 2011, under Toyota limited service notice A0N; hence, Toyota refused my phone request for reimbursement of my may, 2015, repair expense. The 2011 "A0N" replacement pump appears to have failed by the same failure mechanism leading to recall campaign "C0U", which is different from the A0N failure mechanism.

- Pleasanton, CA, USA

Dec 172014

Prius 4-cyl

This car leaks oil. I have to put a quart in each time before oil change is due.

- Tucker, GA, USA

Oct 052014

Prius

At approximately 65mph a red triangle warning light appeared on the dash panel accompanied by a yellow circle. The parking button was flashing and a pink cartoon car appeared on the display. The car was running fine so I continued till I reached my freeway exit. At the bottom of the exit I had to stop for a red light. The exit is dark and has a sharp curve. Upon stopping the car the transmission locked and the engine shut down. I was unable to start the engine and the car could not be pushed out of the way due to the transmission lock. Frantically I had to get a flashlight and wave off oncoming traffic. It was very dangerous. After a few minutes I retried the engine and it started allowing me to get off the ramp and get home. The warning lights stayed on. I took the car to the dealer the next day and after they tested everything they said that there was nothing wrong. Next time I might not be so lucky.

- Oxnard, CA, USA

Jun 172014

Prius 4-cyl

While driving on the freeway, suddenly noticed slight jolt and illumination of various warning lights in the instrument panel (check engine, large warning sign, emergency car danger sign, vsc sign). Hybrid system ceased functioning, leading the car to drive using gasoline engine only. Dealership determined hybrid electric water pump was no longer functioning, needed replacement at cost of $570.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 012014

Prius 4-cyl

I had my car in for 110,000 mile service on April 25. They changed the oil, rotated the tires, installed a new air filter and said that I needed new front brakes and they cleaned and adjusted the back brakes. Yesterday after backing out of the garage the brake light warning light along with the ABS and vsc light came on briefly. On interstate 90 nearing downtown cleveland all of these lights came on again along with a noise. I called the Toyota dealer and talked to the service advisor and asked if it was safe to go to cleveland and back and he said if the brakes work, it probably just a switch and it would be ok to bring it in tomorrow. While I still had him on the phone, we lost all power to the vehicle and it decelerated down to 30 before we were able to reach an exit ramp and stop the car in the grass. I was informed today that the problem is a low volt battery that needs to be replaced for $299. At no time did a low battery light come on and I have not had trouble starting the car nor do I have dim lights. We were fortunate that we were not killed on interstate 90 without power, steering or brakes. I think this is definitely a safety issue that needs to be addressed.

- Chardon, OH, USA

Mar 092014

Prius 4-cyl

Hybrid battery failed. The battery is hyped as lasting the lifetime of your car. 7 years and 131K is not a lifetime in my opinion. If I lived or bought my car in ca, it would be covered under warranty. Because I live in Alabama, it is not. Warranty should be standardized.

- Alabaster, AL, USA

Feb 012011

Prius 4-cyl

For a long time my Prius has had pauses in acceleration occasionally when leaving a stopped position. You press on the gas and there is a couple of second pause before it accelerates. You have to be careful when pulling out into traffic because when it looks like you have time to go, with the pause it is no longer safe to pull out. I call it stalling out. There is a recall for Prius that began on January 17,2013. It states: The corroded wire may break and the water pump could stop. It could cause a short circuit between coil wires and a possible open fuse, creating a stall like condition. The remedy is that Toyota will replace the electric water pump at no charge. I have the stall like condition and during my last service at a Toyota dealership he told me I needed a new water pump. I contacted Toyota about my problem and the recall. They responded that my vehicle was not involved in the recall and they would offer me no assistance in the $500 payment for the water pump. I believe my vehicle has the problems listed in the recall and should be included.

- N. Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 282013

Prius 4-cyl

While traveling on the highway at 55 mph, the power was lost and the accelerator did not respond to being depressed. The car was steered from the middle lane on a three lane highway to gradually coast into the safety lane off the highway where the brake was used to stop the vehicle. The power button was then depressed and the engine restarted and we reentered the highway. This was the only such incident in seven years of ownership of this vehicle. This incident has not recurred.

- Old Westbury, NY, USA

May 312013

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving 72 mph, a bright red exclamation point icon illuminated on the instrument panel as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for diagnosis but the cause of the failure was undetermined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 56,000.

- Marshall, MO, USA

Mar 252013

Prius 4-cyl

I experienced a scary situation with my 2007 Prius today. While I was driving all of a sudden the ABS brake light and dsc light and (!) light and brake light came on and stayed on. The car also made a loud buzzing noise in the cabin. I pumped the brakes and it was not very responsive. Luckily nobody was around because I felt had I needed to stop on a dime, I probably wouldn't be able to. I looked around online to find if others have had this problem and it appears there are plenty of cases where this type of sudden failure has occurred under 2007 ABS Toyota Prius brake module complaints. I believe that there is a recall for this issue from the manufacturer. Please contact me - I need help!

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Apr 022012

Prius 4-cyl

I have been having problems for about a year now with my Prius 2007 when I apply the brakes. The car stutters when it changes from hybrid to gas. Serviced only by Toyota. When I brought the car in for a recall I asked them to fix the problem. They could not identify the problem and called in a specialist and subsequently was told that this is typical wear on a car this old (5 years, 59,000 miles). This was from a repair specialist sent from Toyota when the regular service department could not identify the problem. I drive on highway S everyday to work and home and I am a nervous wreck, worrying that the car will just come to a stop in the middle of traffic. Over the past 2 years when I go thru a car wash the front driver side headlight gets moisture inside. When I brought this to the attention of the service dept at Toyota I was told it would cost approximately $600 to replace the headlight. This was way before it had fallen out of warranty (36,000) but of course they did not tell me that it was covered, in fact they told me what it would cost to replace! now the bulb is also flickering on and off in this same headlight. Definitely a safety issue. Toyota quoted me $270 to change the light bulb. The reason I was given was that they have to take off the entire front bumper to change an $11 bulb at autozone. We were told that if my hand was small enough I could try to do it myself. I called Toyota corporate, and was told that Toyota was discounting the bulb, it normally should cost $420. They were aware of the problem and extended the warranty to 50,000 miles but did not issue a recall for this issue either. I only found out because the service department was dragging its feet in diagnosing the problem with the braking system so I called corporate and mentioned the moisture problem and that was how I found out that it was not only my car.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 272013

Prius

Master warning light came on along with vehicle stability control, brake & check engine lights. Took it to my Toyota dealer (rice Toyota, greensboro, nc). I work 79 miles from home. I called my Toyota dealer, a service rep said it was ok to drive as long as the warning lights weren't flashing.diagnostic codes indicated the hybrid converter/inverter was bad, they cleared warning lights, which stayed off. They said it may have been a "glitch", if warning lights returned, bring it back. They returned on 3/1/13 while driving to work. I lost power while on I-540, pulled over onto shoulder, turned off engine, restarted it, got back onto I-540 & exited at nearest exit. Lost power again. Pulled over, went thru stop/start process, drove 3 miles to work. Drove home with warning lights but no power losses. Took it to rice Toyota next morning. This occurred barely 2 weeks after the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty expired, galling to say the least, as this part "is" the hybrid system per the service rep. Have you received other complaints about this component?

- Greensboro, NC, USA