2007 Toyota Prius engine problems

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Jan 092010

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius and I have experienced poor braking and slippage when traveling over bumpy and/or wet surfaces, the most noticeable of which is the non-asphalt surfacing around and between railroad tracks. I understand you're aware of this on the 2010 models, but it happens on the earlier models too, and these should be made part of the recall. This has happened to me on multiple dates, the latest is below. Luckily, I leave more room between me and the car in front than the average person.

- Hillsboro, OR, USA

Jan 122010

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius. When braking, the brakes feel "tacky" and/or there is a judder feeling, which makes the car stop suddenly or abruptly. This occurs when only applying a very light touch to the brake. Secondly, when applying brakes over icy patch or bump, car will continue to roll for a split second. There is an electronic sound at the same time the brake and roll occurs.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Nov 102009

We own a Toyota Prius. When we turn on the heater and turn it to the feet, warm air starts blowing from the vent on the driver side to the face. We took it to the dealer "capitol Toyota", capital auto mall, san jose, ca. The dealer said that they would charge big time to fix it since we were just over 36,000 miles in 30 months. We didn't get it fixed. We believe that this issue is somehow related to its electrical/electronic systems issue. We also noticed about 2 weeks ago when we were parked in the line for gas, that the engine suddenly was roaring as if we were revving it to very high speeds without even the heater or A/C being on. We also think it has related front defrosting issues.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 102010

When I apply brake on a pothole or a small patch car does not stop and didn't immediately respond to the brake pedal, and it is always scary for me, in los angles you don't have good roads in many places.

- El Segundo, CA, USA

Oct 192009

On October 19, 2009 I was driving South bound on the I-5 when the gas pedal on my 2007 Toyota Prius got stuck and it wasn't the floor mat. I know this because I didn't have a floor mat in the first place. The major problem is on the Prius the push start button failed so you couldn't turn of the vehicle and when you tried to put it in neutral it would fail (not sure why), I am assuming do the speed you are going the computer does not allow you to put it neutral or turn it off.

- Monterey Park , CA, USA

Aug 152007

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. While driving approximately 45 mph, the accelerator pedal became stuck and she could not slow down. She immediately engaged the brake pedal and turned off the ignition. When she restarted the vehicle, it began to operate normally. The dealer stated that there were no diagnostic codes indicating that there was a failure and that the floor mats may have caused the failure. She was also told that the computer was set to the driving habits of the driver and her inconsistent driving behavior "confused" the computer. The failure previously occurred in 2007. She called the manufacturer and was offered no assistance. The current mileage was approximately 10,000. The failure mileage was approximately 425.

- West Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 062009

I have also experienced the unintended acceleration in a 2007 Prius. It would not slow down; but it readjusted after about 20 seconds of me tapping the gas pedal to regain control and alternatively hitting the brake. Just wanted to make sure that you had the data point.

- Fremont, CA, USA

May 152008

Unexplained spontaneous acceleration in 2007 Toyota Prius. In mid-may of last year I was driving alone on the hollywood freeway in approximately 45 mph traffic. Suddenly the car accelerated dramatically, as if I had punched the accelerator, or the cruise control suddenly kicked in but at full speed (the cruise was not on). I was shocked and scared, and I hit thebrakes, nothing happened, and the car kept accelerating. I thought about the mat and hooked my foot around the pedal to see but the pedal was up. I kept hitting the brakes again, and also pumped the accelerator to make sure it wasn't stuck and then the car stopped accelerating. The whole thing lasted less than 10 seconds, but was pretty scary as I got pretty close to traffic in front of me. It immediately occurred to me that it could have been the mat as that had happened in another car, but the mat was clipped to the floor, and was not in any way interfering with the gas pedal. Also, bear in mind, as I'm writing about this it sounds as if I was analytical and methodical, but actually I was pretty frantic and my feet were flying on the pedals.... I told my partner mark about it, told him to watch out for it, but then in June we bought another car and mark primarily drove the Prius after that. I then I forgot about it, as I thought it was just an anomaly and based on what we paid for the car and Toyota's reputation for safety. I had not heard of any acceleration issues at the time, and in fact didn't until much later after the chp officer's crash in the Lexus. I'm actually now pretty freaked out about it in hindsight, and we have gone over the drill repeatedly to make sure mark knows what to do if it happens again. I sincerely doubt it had anything to do with the pedal or the mat, and in my gut I suspect it is electronic in nature. I am pretty nervous about it.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Nov 292009

On 11/29/09 in the afternoon as I was pulling into a parking slot in a trader joe's parking lot, my 2007 Toyota Prius suddenly accelerated forward over a curb, across a crosswalk and came to rest against a tree. Space covered by the car from acceleration to the tree was about 20-25 feet. Witnesses attest that I was using my brake as they saw the lights. I did not have time to attempt to shift the car to "neutral." The floormats were not interfering with the accelerator pedal (I have pictures) and the floor mats were hooked down. Fortunately no one was hurt including me. There was slight damage to the front drivers side bumper of an empty car parked facing me. There was substantial damage to the front of my Prius. As I stated, there were two witnesses who gave me their contact information and said they would be willing to testify for me if necessary. There was a trader joe worker who called a tow truck. The driver of the other vehicle with the minimal damage was quite upset and called the police who came and wrote a report. My car has never suddenly accelerated before - this was the first time. The car was towed to hooman Toyota in long beach. In response to my complaints to Toyota, a regional team was sent to evaluate the accelerator mechanism. The car is currently being repaired however Toyota has not been in touch with me to tell me their findings. Toyota's behavior to my complaints of safety issues has been to tell me that the only problem they have is floormats and that my problem has never been reported before. Their implication is that I was at error. My insurance company state farm initially held me responsible for not controlling the vehicle. When I refused this decision, sf did more research and changed their ruling to find fault with Toyota and will try to get reimbursed for repair costs and my deductible. I expect my car to be ready next week and am deeply concerned that the problem will not be fixed.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Dec 152009

Our leased 2007toyota Prius sometimes "jumps" forward unexpectedly when going over a stone or bump on a dirt road or other street, briefly increasing acceleration. This has happened when traveling a straight road and also when taking a corner onto a dirt road. Braking doesn't slow down the acceleration, increasing the chances of a collision with a vehicle or other obstruction that may be in front of our car.

- Meredith, NH, USA

Jun 032009

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that whenever she was driving the headlights came on and shut off intermittently. Occasionally, the headlights would not come back on for fifteen minutes after they shut off. The accelerator pedal also began sticking to the floor; however, there were no floor mats in her vehicle. The dealer informed her that for $400 they would replace the bulbs in the vehicle. There were no related recalls. The VIN number was unknown. The failure mileage was 75,850.

- Castleton, VA, USA

Sep 032009

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. He stated that when he approached a stop light and engaged the brake pedal, the vehicle accelerated without warning. The contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a tree. The air bags deployed; however, the vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer to be repaired. The dealer confirmed that the failure could have been due to the floor mats. The vehicle is being repaired and the insurance company will be responsible for the repair cost. The contact is very concerned of the safety risk and the possibility that the failure could reoccur. There were no injuries. The failure and current mileages were 15000.

- Long Beach , CA, USA

Jun 012009

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. While driving approximately 25 mph the vehicle in front of him made a sudden stop; however, after engaging the brake pedal, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into hit the vehicle in front of him. The vehicle he crashed into also crashed into another vehicle. There were no injuries. The contacts insurance rate will double due to the crash. The failure mileage was 29,000 and the current mileage was 31,500. Updated 12/7/09 updated 12/08/09.

- Aptos , CA, USA

Jun 102007

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. During brake application at 25 mph, the vehicle continued to accelerate. After she was able to decelerate, the vehicle would no longer accelerate to the intended speed. The vehicle has not been taken to the dealer for inspection. The failure mileage was 500. The current mileage was 18,000.

- Glenolden, PA, USA

Apr 112009

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. While parking her vehicle, it began to accelerate rapidly. The vehicle drove over the cement curb and then crashed into a store-front. The driver sustained injuries to her neck and shoulders. A police report was filed. The vehicle was repaired through her insurance company. The failure and current mileages were unknown

- Sun City , CA, USA

Aug 162008

I was driving home from work on the morning of August 16th, 2008 when my 2007 Prius began to hydroplane. I struck the left guardrail, spun right and then the car catapulted across the interstate. I hit a concrete barrier and the car then rolled onto its left driver side and skidded maybe 100'. I chalked it up to the roads being wet but the odd thing was that the car accelerated once I hit the left guard rail and started to cross over the interstate. At this point, the brakes and steering would not work. I crashed head on into the concrete barrier on the right side of the interstate. My story sounds very much like some of the posts I have read. It is frightening that so many people have experienced the same ordeal and that Toyota continues to deny it and blame it on the floor mats!

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jul 032009

I was "T-boned" on my drivers' side on July 3, 2009 in my 2007 Prius. The car had extensive damage and the electric motor was dismantled and replaced (same one) as part of the repair. At the time of the accident it was fine and I averaged about 48-52 mpg. It was in the Toyota repair shop from July 7th through late August and wasn't returned until mid-September. I have not been driving it since I last picked it up because I did not feel safe it. The problem was never found and I was told "...if we can't find the problem, we can't fix it...if it happens again, bring it back, it's under warranty." Yesterday (November 4, 2009) I had to drive it to work (downtown) because my husband had our van and I found that it is still accelerating in odd ways like it did when we got it back in September. While in stop and go traffic at a low speed when I went to accelerate to a higher speed (appx. 50 mph) it wasn't accelerating properly, then suddenly "kicked into" acceleration then I had to slow it down with the brakes. The Toyota hybrid engine dismantling manual (I found online when I was told Toyota could not find the problem) on page 1 #1-5 shows how the vehicle should be operating. As I've described since August, the day I first picked it up, this is not how it's functioning. In light of the news yesterday, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found no defect exists in vehicles with properly installed floor mats. And in fact, the NHTSA said, Toyota vehicles have a very serious defect. I would like to know what Toyota can do now to get my Prius working properly (or consider it totaled) before I (or my family) are in a horrible accident like the 16 people who have already died or the 200+ who have had serious accidents as a result of this issue! by the way, there are no car mats in it, but there were before the accident and this issue never occurred before Toyota's "repairs" to it! updated 11/13/09

- Georgetown, TX, USA

Dec 102006

I bought a 2007 Prius from copeland Toyota-Scion dealership. From the beginning, I noticed that it accelerates on its own during the drive. For example, while going at 55 mph, suddenly, it travels at a higher speed without my intervention. I feel like being hydroplaning, leaping or shooting by a few yards, and then it would be back to normal. Initially, I did not pay attention to it, but I brought it to your dealership and spoke one of their counselors nearly two years ago. I was told that one of your technicians will have to ride and diagnose the problem and since it happens randomly, there is no way anyone one can detect. First, I noticed this problem in December 2006. Since then, it has been happening once in a way. The average frequency can be 3-5 times a month, and it could be more based on the highway usage. I was unaware of the ramifications until the recent recall notice. I wanted to send this information in September when the recall on floor mats was announced. I am more and more concerned about this unpredictable speeding on its own which could be very dangerous as it happened with several crashes reported (today, I saw a news segment on the nbc tv involving a Prius). A creeping floor mat can get the gas pedal stuck, but would not cause sudden acceleration. Sudden acceleration may be more severe in the cases of crashes, while mine is less severe, at least thus far. If there is a fix for this, I rather have it done as soon as possible, before it gets any worse. Thanks, and I hope to hear from you soon. Yours truly, S. chavali

- Westwood, MA, USA

Feb 062009

My Toyota Prius accelerated at extremely high speed as I pulled into my driveway. I crashed through the garage door into the boxes and furniture stored in the garage. I had my foot pressed all the way down on the brake but could not slow down or stop but accelerated to a very high speed. There was significant property damage and car damage. It was reported to allstate. No other vehicle was involved. The airbag did not activate! I do not know the exact speed other than to say it was extremely fast and very, very terrifying!

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Sep 302009

I suspect the current Toyota recall is more than a floor mat malfunction. I own an '07 Prius. Ninety percent of the time the car shuts down immediately upon "firmly & briefly" depressing the power button, precisely as described in the owner's manual. However, about 10% of the time it does not shut down on the first push, and will move forward when I take my foot off the brake. I have to push the power button a second time to stop the engine. The dealer actually told me I should push the "park" button before pushing the power button to turn the car off. It says nothing about doing that in the manual. Now they're saying you should hold the power button 3 seconds to turn off the car? the manual says (P. 141 and elsewhere) "the hybrid system will start and stop by firmly pressing the "power" switch briefly with the brake pedal depressed." Three seconds is certainly more than "briefly, " and more than it takes to turn off the engine 90% of the time. Fortunately, I haven't hit anyone or anything, I've gotten used to it, and I'm careful to be sure the engine has actually stopped before I take my foot off the brake. Once in a while, I have to push the power button a second time, an inconvenience hardly worth mentioning. However, I'm now concerned that the minor problem I'm experiencing could progress into something much more dangerous. Look at the mat: Someone would have to deliberately install it so it was over (rather than under) the accelerator pedal to cause a problem. I don't think it's the mat. I think there's a problem with the computer.

- Memphis, TN, USA