2007 Toyota Prius engine problems

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Sep 302009

Prius

I suspect the current Toyota recall is more than a floor mat malfunction. I own an '07 Prius. Ninety percent of the time the car shuts down immediately upon "firmly & briefly" depressing the power button, precisely as described in the owner's manual. However, about 10% of the time it does not shut down on the first push, and will move forward when I take my foot off the brake. I have to push the power button a second time to stop the engine. The dealer actually told me I should push the "park" button before pushing the power button to turn the car off. It says nothing about doing that in the manual. Now they're saying you should hold the power button 3 seconds to turn off the car? the manual says (P. 141 and elsewhere) "the hybrid system will start and stop by firmly pressing the "power" switch briefly with the brake pedal depressed." Three seconds is certainly more than "briefly, " and more than it takes to turn off the engine 90% of the time. Fortunately, I haven't hit anyone or anything, I've gotten used to it, and I'm careful to be sure the engine has actually stopped before I take my foot off the brake. Once in a while, I have to push the power button a second time, an inconvenience hardly worth mentioning. However, I'm now concerned that the minor problem I'm experiencing could progress into something much more dangerous. Look at the mat: Someone would have to deliberately install it so it was over (rather than under) the accelerator pedal to cause a problem. I don't think it's the mat. I think there's a problem with the computer.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Feb 052009

Prius

At 4:45 pm on 2/5/2009, I drove my 2007 Toyota Prius West on sw andover St. In seattle wa. I slowed as I made a right turn to park perpendicular to the street with a 6 foot high chain-link fence in front of me on top of a retaining wall. The bottom of the wall is 6 feet below street level on a paved parking area. As the Prius approached the fence, I braked to stop, but the car did not slow, so I floored the brake. The car hit a fence post, pulling it out of its mount and then the car moved over the top of the wall pushing the pole and fence over its hood & roof, . the front of the Prius dropped to the area below the wall while the rear remained on the top. The fence mesh stretched but slowed the Prius's forward movement and kept the rear from going over the wall.. the dashboard was still lit and I lowered the electrical windows and yelled for help. The first arrival told me to "turn off the car". this is significant because the only way he could have known the car was running was if he heard the sound of the Prius's gasoline engine that only kicks in at higher speeds. I opened the door and jumped down to the pavement. The police came and made a report. I did not receive a citation. The Prius was extracted by a tow company and hauled away. Fortunately I received no physical injury. The chain link fence was truly a safety net. On 2./12/ 2009, my insurance company, usaa, declared my Prius "totaled" and made a settlement payment. I thought perhaps my brakes had failed. I had my Prius receive a routine 25,000 mile check at the Toyota dealership just eight days before the accident. From articles on www.consumersafety.com I learned that similar accidents with the Prius have happened to other people. After reading their experiences, I now believe that "unintended acceleration" was the more likely cause of my accident.

- Burien, WA, USA

Nov 142007

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle surged forward and increased in speed. The brakes did not hold. The contact crashed into a tree and the vehicle was destroyed. Her right knee was crushed and the left knee was fractured. She received lacerations from the seat belt on her neck and her ribs were bruised. The passenger sustained broken ribs, a punctured lung, internal bleeding, optical nerve damage, a tracheotomy, and spinal injury. The dealer was notified. A police report was filed and pictures are available. The VIN was unknown. The current and failure mileages were almost 10,000.

- Montera, CA, USA

Feb 052008

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. While approaching a red light at 2-3 mph, the vehicle automatically accelerated. The contact broadsided the front passenger side of another vehicle. Her vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed. The current and failure mileages were 4,500. Updated 4/8/08 state of California traffic report. Updated 04/08/08

- North Highlands, CA, USA

Sep 222007

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact's spouse was backing down a 20 degree slope with her foot on the brake pedal. The vehicle accelerated backwards downhill at approximately 5 mph, but then accelerated to 35 mph. The contact continued to depress the brake pedal. The vehicle struck a tree and the contact's head struck the head rest. He sustained a head injury and can provide a police report. The dealer was notified and the vehicle was repaired. The current mileage was 12,700 and failure mileage was 10,600.

- York, PA, USA

Aug 312007

Prius 4-cyl

Unintended acceleration resulting in damage to my car as well as two others.

- Danville, CA, USA

Mar 182007

Prius

Cause: Flat tire in the front left or front right of the vehicle. The front left demonstrating the most severe hazard failure: The traction control system engages regularly due to a discrepancy between the spare and normal tire size. Traction control cuts power to the drive wheels and cannot be overridden, causing vehicle to lose speed in non-deterministic manner. Vehicle is not responsive. Condition is worst during the first 40 miles driven on the spare tire but consequently improves due to learning inside the car computer. Unfortunately, vehicle is most dangerous when the driver has the least control over the situation. Correction: None, the manufacturer claims the vehicle is operating as designed.

- San Francisco, CA, USA