2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 14 of 46)

Aug 012011

Prius 4-cyl

Hid headlights go off at random times. The passengers side was first to start, now the driver side as well as both go off. The problem is occurring more frequently. When you switch the headlights from off to on they turn on. The vehicle has 100K miles. No warranty, dealers repair cost is approximately $550. I am shocked when I google my problem to see how many people are affected and more so the class action law suits that are there. This is far more than a burnt light bulb, it has to be looked into. I am a loyal Toyota customer of 31 years. Please help! I'm worried about the safety for my wife driving at night.

- Old Saybrook, CT, USA

Sep 162011

Prius 4-cyl

It was last Friday evening, Sep 16,2011, when my car had around 51270 miles, I discovered that the hid bulbs in Prius is going off while driving, sometimes first on the passenger side and some times on driver, and after sometime it could go off on both sides.I am less than 5 years in my car.after doing research in the internet, I came to know about Toyota hid bulb head light problems, experienced by other Prius owners, and the class action law suit regarding this, and the fact that the Toyota has extended the warranty till 5 yr/50K miles. I mostly use the car during the day time to work(8 miles one way),and since all my friends/amenities/shopping are with in 5 mile radius, I dont get much chance to drive for a longer time during the night.all my night drives are rare and is mostly less than 10-15 mins.I also have fog lights in my car which gives some decent light, and when there are other cars in the road, or when the road is well lit, it is almost impossible to diagnose this problem, when the first headlight goes off.even when the second headlight goes off, under good road conditions, it is very difficult. It appears as some light dimming going on from inside the car, when only one head light goes off.further I did my 50K miles service less than a month ago. I called Toyota, opened a case(number:1109191158)and took the car to the dealer.the dealer diagnosed it and confirmed that it was due to hid bulbs, covered by the class action settlement.he also updated my case with Toyota.the Toyota agreed to cover the cost of the bulb but not the labor.I tried to escalate the situation with Toyota, but they were firm on their decision.they were more talking by the rule book, about the expiration of warranty, than trying to help me with my problem.clearly they have defective part, and they were unwilling to cover the complete cost. It would only be fair, if they refund the $112 labor cost.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 122011

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the headlights would turn off sporadically. The vehicle was taken to dealer who diagnosed that the headlights were defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 93,000 and the current mileage was 107,000.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Jul 012010

Prius

I have been experiencing the same problem as most with the Prius hid headlights. While driving in dark or low light times the headlights will fail nearly causing accidents. Usually it is one headlight, but there have been several times in which both headlights have failed (serious issue). By turning the headlights off and back on temporary fixes the problem, yet the problem keeps occurring daily. In Jan. 2010 Toyota settled a class action law suit which only helped those personnel whose mileage was fewer than 50,000. What about the rest of the owners out there that are still left with this enormous safety issue. A safety recall needs to be done to protect all owners safety, not just those whose vehicle mileage is under 50,000.

- Dry Ridge , KY, USA

Dec 212010

Prius 4-cyl

Headlights go off for no reason while driving. This happens several times a week.

- Martinsburg, WV, USA

Sep 042009

Prius 4-cyl

Both hid headlights failed on a winding country road. I quickly turned the headlights off, then on then was able to swerve the car to prevent going off the road. I had intermittent problems with one light failing. This was the first time both lights failed at the same time. I spent over $400 to replace the lights. There is a class action case against Toyota that covers Prius with under 50K miles. Since I had over 70K miles on my Prius, I was hesitant to make the repair, because of the cost until both lights failed. This is an intermittent problem that gets worse as time goes by and should be recalled before someone is killed.

- Woodridge, NY, USA

Aug 122011

Prius 4-cyl

My 2007 Toyota Prius headlights keep going out. Some light manufacturers tell me that this car is the problem, not the bulbs. I had the first set of bulbs replaced with some other work at about 20K miles. The next set was replaced at about 60K miles 2 yrs later. Now they are out again at 76K and 14 months later. Toyota issued a recall for a refund, but the first one was covered under insurance, these next two aren't, yet it appears that I'm going to have to replace these bulbs every 1 - 2 years, which is absurd. They just go out, no flickering or dimming, but just go out with no notice. Toyota should have to recall this issue, make these cars safe, and make it so the bulbs don't have to be replaced every year or two.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Jul 102011

Prius 4-cyl

Toyota Prius headlights intermittently working.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

Jun 222011

Prius

After 20K miles the headlights need to be replaced at a cost of over $600. Headlights intermittently go out and come back on. Sometimes passenger side only, sometimes both lights dim then come back up. Turning the headlights on and off seems to correct the issue.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 012011

Prius

This is a known problem. My headlights fail randomly left, right, or both. If I turn off the light switch then turn it back on the lights will come back. I believe Toyota should acknowledge this as a design problem and fix it. This can cause a dangerous situation at night.

- Redmond, WA, USA

Jul 242011

Prius 4-cyl

Headlights for 2007 Toyota Prius hybrid 4dr keep going out; the dealers are charging up to $800 to change the bad headlights. I have replaced three drivers side headlights and now the passenger side go out. This is safety concerns as Washington state poor driving conditions with rain and seasonal snow, early night fall.

- Grapeview, WA, USA

Jul 242011

Prius 4-cyl

Both 2007 Prius headlights fail at once leaving me in dark while driving. Many other complaints from Prius owners. Go back on when switched off then on. Intermittent electrical defect. Not qualify for. Class action. 60,000 mi. Requesting reopen investigation. For recall. Urgent safety matter.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Apr 212011

Prius 4-cyl

Headlamps for my 2007 Toyota Prius fail at night. Bulbs are not burnt out, but the power to them will just shut off. They will work again for a short time if you shut them off and back on again. Happens on both driver and passenger side. Very dangerous, both lights have gone out at teh same time. Manufacturer says cost of repair is $300.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Feb 102008

Prius 4-cyl

Headlamp bulbs burn out very quickly leading to repeated change of the bulbs at $250 a piece.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Jul 012011

Prius 4-cyl

Failure of Toyota Prius hid headlamps, left me "driving in the dark."

- Palm Desert , CA, USA

Jun 182011

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the passenger side headlight failed. The passenger side headlight would fail intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics or repairs. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Holland, OH, USA

May 112011

Prius 4-cyl

Two years ago the hid headlights in my 2007 Prius began to fail intermittently. First it was the driver side light only. I found that if I turned the light off and on again the light would work. More recently, both lights began failing. Recently I was on a curvy back road. Both lights failed. Everything went totally black. I managed to turn the lights off and on again and swerve just in time to avoid an accident. I had both lights replaced by Toyota at my own expense since I had more than 50,000 miles on the vehicle. I called Toyota and told them about the incident and that it should be handled as a safety recall before someone is seriously injured or killed.

- Woodridge, NY, USA

Jul 012010

Prius 4-cyl

I am experiencing intermittent headlight problems. The headlights would take turns going out. This would happen while driving. First, the passenger side, then the driver side, and sometimes both. If I turned the light switch off & back on, the headlights would come back on. The problem was very intermittent at first (starting at 41000 miles) but became a real nuisance at 49000 miles. I took the car into the Toyota dealership at around 52000 miles. They said that it was the bulbs. I have replaced both bulbs and the problem still continues.

- N. Highlands, CA, USA

Apr 062011

Prius 4-cyl

Driving late at night on the interstate and both headlights failed. Couldn't see anything. Quickly turned headlight switch off and then back on and the lights came back on. Failed again every few minutes. If flipping the switch on/off didn't work we most likely would have all been dead as it was so dark out you couldn't see the road or anything else to stop safely. Had to pull over for the night and stayed at a hotel. Replaced the lights at the dealership. To afraid to drive at night so don't know if the problem still persists. So don't know for sure if it was the headlights or an electrical switch malfunction.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Mar 192011

Prius

The hid headlights going off while driving with no warning, but if the switch is turned from on to off the light work again momentarily until they go out again. Very unsafe driving conditions, could lead to injuries.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA