2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 13 of 46)

Dec 212011

Prius 4-cyl

My left headlight keeps going off and then back on. Sometimes hitting a bump on the road causes it to turn off/on. Other times I can manually turn the headlights off and it will come back on. Several times, we have tried to get it back on, and no positive results. This happens several times a day. Originally I thought it was a bulb but when I took it in, bulb was fine. Wires are not loose. I see numerous complaints about this and see that Toyota has not done a recall on this. I have young children and it makes me extremely nervous because I fear that this will happen to the other headlight at night.

- River Falls, WI, USA

Sep 132008

Prius 4-cyl

My headlights started failing at 30,214 miles and I took my car in for service, they replaced the right headlight. At 32,571 they replaced my left headlight. I now have the same problem with the left headlight which even after replacing the bulb, will not work. I have contacted Toyota and they want me to incur the expense of having it diagnosed at their dealership before they will even consider covering it even though there was a class action lawsuit of which I was never made aware. As agreement, Toyota agreed that they would extend the warranty on the bulbs and if you were outside the extended warranty, they would still fix the lights if you had documented problems prior to the warranty period expiring. I have the evidence yet they want me to incur an expense so they know what's wrong. I feel this is totally wrong.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Dec 292011

Prius 4-cyl

Head lights went out at night. Had them replaced at aaa repair shop in san jose, ca. Cost $300. Toyota wanted $600. Then they went out at night again on Dec 2010 replace again in susanville, ca. Cost$300. Then Toyota came out with recall notice with a written report to replace lights and power unit all at once. Then they just went out again Dec 2011. Do not know cost yet. No accidents from these outages but there could have been. They went out at night not at the same time but could have. This time only the driver side went out. It comes on then goes out then comes on again only for about 30 seconds. I think there is trouble with the power unit or bad design.

- Lake Almanor, CA, USA

Dec 012010

Prius

When driving the headlights of my 2007 Prius turn off. It began happening on the passenger side headlight very intermittently, in the past few months it began happening more and more often to the point now where my passenger side headlight turns off every time I drive at night. The headlight will turn back on after switching the on/off switch but after a few seconds turns off on its own again. It mainly happens with my passenger side light but at times both headlights turn off completely. This happens unexpectedly and causes a safety issue when driving on rural roads. I am very concerned with this and the fact that Toyota has done nothing to address the issue. I understand the class action lawsuit filed, I was not a part of that as I was unaware it was even occurring.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Oct 272011

Prius

Headlights failed. Lights went completely out (both sides) while on high beams while driving on a rural windy road. I could have been killed! I had to pull over when they went out and I was driving on a rural windy road with lots of deer. I called my husband and he had me turn on my fog lamps to get home. My lights then only worked on low beams, but then with in a few days the passenger low beam goes out after about 5-10 of operation. Now both, on low beams are going out after 5-10 minutes of operation - high beams do not work at all. Took to dealership, told me it is the hid lights and would cost over $300 to change both. This is insane!!!!! your Agency knows this is a safety problem and has decided to let big Corp get away with robbing us. You are just as bad as Toyota for letting them knowingly get away with this and not even warning us owners about this happening. In addition, my rear drivers side tail light is now out and I was pulled over for a fix it ticket. Something is seriously wrong with the Prius and you are covering it up.

- Altaville, CA, USA

Dec 202006

Prius

The mileage is between 30 and 35 mpg, which is a long ways from the sticker claim. The headlight goes on and off intermittently, even though replaced several times. Second headlight is also failing. The blower works only intermittently, usually after hitting a large bump in the road.

- Midvale, UT, USA

Nov 052011

Prius 4-cyl

Passenger headlight went out while driving. When I went to replace it the next day, the light was working. Today (Dec 30, 2011) problem occurred again.

- Bloomfield, MI, USA

Nov 052009

Prius 4-cyl

Hid light randomly go out. Sometimes the driver side, sometimes the passenger side...sometimes both. They usually come back on by turning them off and back on at the switch. Dealer quoted $700 per light to fix. Ridiculous for early failure of a "upgraded" light option that we had to pay extra for when we purchased the car.

- Dallas, TX, USA

May 162011

Prius

Approximately one week after having my battery replaced by a Toyota dealership in temecula, ca the digital display on my dashboard stopped working and no longer displayed my speed, gas tank gauge, trip mileage or total mileage. After another week or so passed, the display, or cluster display, as it is listed on a Toyota repair estimate from November 3, 2011, would work intermittently by again displaying my speed, gas tank gauge, etc. The display would sometimes work for a few hours and then stop working, and not work again for several days or a week or more. Currently, it the display continues to work intermittently only, causing me to drive for days or a week or more with no visual display of how fast I am driving or how much gas I have remaining in my tank. This failure of the cluster display is a hazard to me and especially to my young teenage daughter because we do not know for sure how fast we are driving or how much gas we have remaining at any given time when the display stops working. I had my vehicle inspected by the Toyota dealership in temecula, ca and they recommended replacing the combo meter since they believe there is an open circuit in the combo meter, but they could not guarantee that their recommendation would resolve the problem. They then advised me that a service bulletin was issued for problems with the cluster display, but no recall has been ordered and they could not cover the cost of fixing the problem under warranty. I then called Toyota corporate offices at 800-331-4331and spoke to the service director, who offered me a 40% discount on the cost of replacing the combo meter on a reimbursement basis and said if a recall was ordered I would get a full refund. I believe the problem on my Toyota Prius of an intermittently functioning cluster display presents a significant hazard for the reasons stated above and warrants a recall.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Dec 202011

Prius 4-cyl

The headlights turn off while driving. Sometimes one, other times both. If I switch them off-on fast they come back on. So it's not a bulb. Toyota speculates that it could be a computer issue for each bulb and could cost over $700 each to fix. This is a very dangerous situation, we have a lot of joggers & kids on bikes in our area. If one light is out I don't always know & then I am now able to see their reflective material. Please issue the recall before someone get killed. Thank you

- Dededo, GU, USA

Jul 012011

Prius 4-cyl

One or the other headlight will go out randomly while driving down the road at night. The only way to get the headlight to go back on is to turn the headlights off using the head lamp switch on the drivers steering column by turning it off and on quickly while driving. This head light going out safety issue will occur to either headlight at any moment, but seems to alternate between them. Have not lost both head lights at the same time yet. This loss of head lights will continue to occur every 2 -3 minutes. This is a safety issue and the distraction makes it hard to watch ahead on the road for any obstacles or to watch for wildlife ahead and makes it hard to see anything at a safe distance.

- Tower, MN, USA

Oct 292011

Prius 4-cyl

One head light would go out when driving. Turing the lights on and off brings both lights back on. Sometimes the left goes out and sometimes the right.

- Ventura, CA, USA

Oct 032011

Prius 4-cyl

Headlights fail intermittently, without notice. Dealer has replaced one, the opposite side is also failing.

- The Villages, FL, USA

Sep 142011

Prius 4-cyl

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius that I am having hid headlight issues. The passenger headlamp will go off at anytime and only come back on if you turn the light switch off then back on. I need help on this problem seeing as slot of Prius owners are having the same problem.

- Cottontown, TN, USA

Dec 032011

Prius 4-cyl

No one injured. Minor problem, but Toyota refuses suggestions "for legal reasons", so I have to report it to you, and hope that you will relay to Toyota. Good car, good dash lighting system, nice rheostat to dim the instrument panel lights at night, to assist in night road visibility. The problem is that as you dim the instrument panel lights, the lighted symbol for the emergency flasher light switch goes completely dark before the instrument panel lights do. So, on a dark night, you dim the lights to make the instrument panel lights just bright enough to read, without excess reflection or distraction, and the emergency flasher switch becomes invisible because its light went completely out before the other instrument panel lights did. This increases distraction and reduces reaction time when you need to find and turn on the emergency flasher light switch. I doubt this problem is limited to just my car. The simple solution (everything seems simple to the guy not doing the work) would be to design and wire the dash panel lights so that the emergency flasher switch light stays a little brighter than all the other lights, as they all dim. That way, the switch you might most need in a hurry will be visible, even if you have dimmed your instrument panel lights. Quicker turn-on of the emergency flasher alerts following drivers sooner, increasing their safety, and mine. Thanks for working to keep us all safer on the road, and to improve the vehicles we drive.

- Penn Laird, VA, USA

Sep 012009

Prius 4-cyl

My 2007 Prius has had the problem of having it's hid lights turn off at random since approximately 55,000 miles. Either the passenger or drivers side can turn off at will. At least one light will stay on at all times. As well, there are dimming issues when they do stay on. I have replaced the bulbs, but nothing has changed. The problem continued unabated. Since I am outside 50,000 miles, Toyota states they can do nothing. There was a settlement in this regard. Just driving down the road, one can other second generation Prius owners having the same problem. Visits to priuschat forums reveal thousands have the same problem. Most owners are out of the warranty period when this problem surfaces. Dealerships quote very high amounts to fix a problem that is clearly part of Toyota's faulty design. Bulbs go out all the time on all vehicles, but an owner should not be expected to replace the entire lighting system after 50,000 miles. This is a design flaw that should warrant a recall.

- Litchfield Park, AZ, USA

Jun 012011

Prius 4-cyl

Right side headlight turns off when lights are on. Will turn back on when lights are turn off and back on. Replaced light with new bulb but did not solve problem.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Nov 022011

Prius 4-cyl

Front left hid headlight failed completely, resulting in unsafe driving situation. Please urge Toyota to recall the headlights on this vehicle. Thank you.

- Los Gatos, CA, USA

Feb 252011

Prius 4-cyl

I have brought this vehicle to the Toyota dealer four times in this past year for intermittently working headlights. One or the other front headlight turn off without warning. When the headlights are (both) turned off then on, they usually, but not always, both come back on. The dealer is clueless even when problem is demonstrated to the head of the service department. Based on a review of internet chat groups, this seems to be a well known and documented problem, including a class action law suit filed earlier this year (collado et al V. Toyota motor sales).

- Juneau, AK, USA

Oct 052011

Prius 4-cyl

Headlights randomly goes out while driving. When headlights out, interior lights (lighting of dashboard, etc.) continue. If you turn lights off, then on again, headlights work. Does not happen every time.

- Canoga Park, CA, USA