2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 16 of 46)

Feb 152011

Prius

Hid headlights suddenly go off while driving resulting in no illumination. If light switch is turned off then on lights will come back on for a little while and then shut off again. This is a very serious safety issue and these bulb failures are extremely common with these vehicles even with vehicles that are fairly new and with very low miles. Toyota claims these lights should last much longer than normal bulbs, but this has not been the case. Additionally these bulbs are extremely expensive to replace. Another example of the poor quality in recent Toyota vehicles which have been well documented.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 092010

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact was driving approximately 30 mph with the headlights on when they suddenly failed to function. The failure occurred at various speeds. The contact replaced both headlamp bulbs. The failure continued to occur after the replacement of the bulbs. The contact stated the failure was related to the headlamp assembly. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000.

- Elk River , MN, USA

Feb 112011

Prius

My 2007 Prius headlights keep going off for no reason. When they go off you can turn the lights switch off then back on and they both come back on. The drivers side has done it three times and they both have gone off once while driving at night.

- San Rafael, CA, USA

Feb 152011

Prius 4-cyl

2007 Prius with 28,000 miles headlights go on and off. Started with the drivers side now both lights go off. Turn them off/on and the lights come back on for a while. Toyota dealer said they didn't know about the class action law suit. Called Toyota corporate and they would not commit to repairing the lights.

- Hoover, AL, USA

Jan 012009

Prius 4-cyl

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius and the driver headlight intermittently turn off. I can turn the headlight switch off and back on and it usually turns light back on for awhile. The dealer cost for the headlight was $300 plus.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Oct 262010

Prius 4-cyl

The lights on my 07 Prius keep turing off as I drive. I can't turn on and off the brights to get the lights to turn on I have to turn the lights off then on making it a real hazard at night especially on highways. There is no time or function that has to happen for them to go out. I could just be sitting at a light or going down the highway. Once one light goes out it doesn't take long for the other to follow. The fog and break and back lights all work fine. Its just the head lights. If the headlights are out then not even the brights will turn on or fix the problem. If im driving with just the brights, the same thing happens. One will go out followed later by the other. And I can't just take it out of the brights setting. I have to turn the lights completely off.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Jan 152011

Prius 4-cyl

I recently noticed that the headlights on my 2007 Toyota Prius have been intermittently turning off while driving at night. I was first alerted to this situation when I received a ticket for driving at night with my lights out. I subsequently noticed that the passenger side light would go out and then more recently I noticed both lights turn off by themselves. In all instances turning the lights off and back on would re-set the lights to stay on (for a while). I also was alerted by other motorists that my tail lights were out - my daughter verified when we got home that the tail lights were off. The tail lights also came back on after turning the lights off and back on again. I took my car in for service and they charged me to replace the headlights & tail lights but did not indicate the cause of the problem. I am very concerned that my tail lights may still not be functioning at any given time and that one of my headlights is also out and both may go out at any time. In all previous cases of the lights going out there was no indication inside the car (warning light etc...) that the lights were off. There is no way to know that the tail lights are out and depending on driving conditions it is not obvious that one, or even both, headlights are out.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jan 292011

Prius 4-cyl

The driver's side headlight on my 2007 Toyota Prius fails intermittently without warning causing reduced lighting while driving and potentially dangerous unexpected conditions. This has been happening for approximately three weeks prior to the date of this complaint and has not been successfully repaired to date.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jan 152011

Prius 4-cyl

My 2007 Prius has began to have intermittent headlight outages. If I turn off the headlight and back on, then sometimes it comes back on.there is also flickering. There is a class action lawsuit related to this problem, yet it has limitations as to who it covers. I want to get my complaint registered so you may give a recall consideration. Toyota need to fix this problem. They are charging $300 to replace this bulb, and upwards of $1100 if it is a faulty controller.

- Lyons, OR, USA

Oct 162010

Prius

Hid headlamps on 2007 Toyota Prius go out all the time. Turning lights off and back on usually corrects the problem. It happens to both sides independently. Bulbs still work fine, but.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jul 152009

Prius 4-cyl

While driving, the headlights to my 2007 Prius go out. At first this happened only to the left headlight, then a few months and many miles later, both headlights go out while driving. So, as I am driving either the left headlight, right headlight, or both will go off unpredictably and sporadically. I have been driving like this for about 15K to 20K miles.if the problem was the light bulb, as the dealer told me, I think it would have gone completely out by now. From what I have read it sounds like the lighting system is faulty in some way.however, Toyota Corp is not taking responsibility for this issue. When my lights first went out, I knew immediately I needed to turn the light switch to the "off" position, and then back to the "on" position to get the lights back on. I knew this because when Toyota sent out information on the floor mat and accelerator defect (witch led to a recall on the accelerator pedal) they also sent out information on the headlight defect. Where is the headlight recall?! in these information sheets Toyota laid out directions on what to do if your accelerator pedal got stuck, as well as what to do if you lights "happened" to just shut off. So when a notice like that comes out, I assumed this meant Toyota would fix the problem on the house. So, when I had this problem, and went in to the dealer for my oil change, I mentioned it, and said I would like to have the issue fixed. I did not expect to get a quote and be charged to fix Toyota's quality control issue.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Nov 272010

Prius

About 2 months ago the headlight on the passenger side would go off, but if you turned the lights off and then back on, the headlight would shine again. It was an intermittent occurrence, but now it is happening more frequently and I'm afraid that my wife, since she drives the Prius, may end up in an accident. I've done research on the internet and it seems as though this is happening to many other people.

- Bonita, CA, USA

Nov 302010

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving the headlights and the dashboard lights shut off. He had to drive onto the emergency lane and within a couple of minutes the lights came back on. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they were unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 31,000 and the current mileage was 31,500. Updated 3/1/11 updated 12/19/11

- Avon , CT, USA

Dec 012010

Prius 4-cyl

Hid headlamps on 2007 Toyota Prius dim and then go out. This happens everytime the lights are used. One headlamp has been replaced at the cost of over $200 and now the other headlamp exhibits the same behavior.

- Hickory, NC, USA

Jan 122011

Prius

Hid bulb failure. Bulb on passenger side was sometimes on and sometimes off. Bulb is V. expensive (~$200) and replacement by dealer costs another $100.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA

Dec 272010

Prius

The hid head lamps on my vehicle flicker and go out. If I switch the lights off and on again they light back up. This happens intermittently and randomly. It has happened several times while driving on the highway at speeds in excess of 70mph at night and I feel unsafe. Toyota has refused to accept this is a safety problem, but it is a very common issue with this generation Prius.

- Poquoson, VA, USA

Jan 142011

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius with hid headlights. Headlights will continuously go completely off while driving and require that the headlights to be switched off and on to turn them back on. This will occur intermittently anywhere from every few minutes to perhaps a half an hour or more. The bulbs appear to be in good working condition once they are on but then will go completely dark until you cycle the switch on/off. Literally thousands of owners of these vehicles have reported this same problem. These lamps are very expensive and are supposed to last much longer that regular headlamps, but it appears that Toyota has again failed to adequately test these systems to assure that they are reliable. When the lights go out while driving at night you are left with no visibility at all, a definite safety issue. This has been going on since at least 2006 with no action taken by the NHTSA. Why don't you guys do your job and require that these companies fix these obvious safety related issues caused by faulty parts or engineering!

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 012010

Prius 4-cyl

Intermittent right hid headlamp. Problem started about 40K miles. The light dims, flickers and goes out. Turning lights off to on will fix issue temporarily. Same problem reported by thousands. Repair costs vary from $300 to $2000. The problem occurs daily. Each time there is a risk of being in accident. Toyota and NHTSA are aware of the problem but nothing being done about it.

- Diamond Bar, CA, USA

Oct 152010

Prius 4-cyl

Passenger headlight works intermittently. Will turn off while driving and occasionally come back on if the lights are turned off then back on again. Dangerous to drive with one headlight working and I can't imagine what would happen if driving and both went out. Does not appear to be a loose connection as turning the lights off and back on will occasionally fix the problem until it happens again.

- Raleight, NC, USA

Jan 072011

Prius 4-cyl

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius with about 85,000 miles and the passenger side headlight only works periodically. Sometimes it doesn't come on and sometimes it works for the entire trip. I do not know when it is working and not since there is no alarm or light indicating that I have a problem. The dealership wants me to replace both hid lightbulbs for $300. I am not sure that this will fix the problem since sometimes it does work and stays on for a long period. This could be a major problem, especially if both headlights start having the same problem at the same time.

- Jackson, TN, USA