2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 16 of 46)

Jan 152011

Prius 4-cyl

I recently noticed that the headlights on my 2007 Toyota Prius have been intermittently turning off while driving at night. I was first alerted to this situation when I received a ticket for driving at night with my lights out. I subsequently noticed that the passenger side light would go out and then more recently I noticed both lights turn off by themselves. In all instances turning the lights off and back on would re-set the lights to stay on (for a while). I also was alerted by other motorists that my tail lights were out - my daughter verified when we got home that the tail lights were off. The tail lights also came back on after turning the lights off and back on again. I took my car in for service and they charged me to replace the headlights & tail lights but did not indicate the cause of the problem. I am very concerned that my tail lights may still not be functioning at any given time and that one of my headlights is also out and both may go out at any time. In all previous cases of the lights going out there was no indication inside the car (warning light etc...) that the lights were off. There is no way to know that the tail lights are out and depending on driving conditions it is not obvious that one, or even both, headlights are out.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jan 292011

Prius 4-cyl

The driver's side headlight on my 2007 Toyota Prius fails intermittently without warning causing reduced lighting while driving and potentially dangerous unexpected conditions. This has been happening for approximately three weeks prior to the date of this complaint and has not been successfully repaired to date.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jan 152011

Prius 4-cyl

My 2007 Prius has began to have intermittent headlight outages. If I turn off the headlight and back on, then sometimes it comes back on.there is also flickering. There is a class action lawsuit related to this problem, yet it has limitations as to who it covers. I want to get my complaint registered so you may give a recall consideration. Toyota need to fix this problem. They are charging $300 to replace this bulb, and upwards of $1100 if it is a faulty controller.

- Lyons, OR, USA

Oct 162010

Prius

Hid headlamps on 2007 Toyota Prius go out all the time. Turning lights off and back on usually corrects the problem. It happens to both sides independently. Bulbs still work fine, but.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jul 152009

Prius 4-cyl

While driving, the headlights to my 2007 Prius go out. At first this happened only to the left headlight, then a few months and many miles later, both headlights go out while driving. So, as I am driving either the left headlight, right headlight, or both will go off unpredictably and sporadically. I have been driving like this for about 15K to 20K miles.if the problem was the light bulb, as the dealer told me, I think it would have gone completely out by now. From what I have read it sounds like the lighting system is faulty in some way.however, Toyota Corp is not taking responsibility for this issue. When my lights first went out, I knew immediately I needed to turn the light switch to the "off" position, and then back to the "on" position to get the lights back on. I knew this because when Toyota sent out information on the floor mat and accelerator defect (witch led to a recall on the accelerator pedal) they also sent out information on the headlight defect. Where is the headlight recall?! in these information sheets Toyota laid out directions on what to do if your accelerator pedal got stuck, as well as what to do if you lights "happened" to just shut off. So when a notice like that comes out, I assumed this meant Toyota would fix the problem on the house. So, when I had this problem, and went in to the dealer for my oil change, I mentioned it, and said I would like to have the issue fixed. I did not expect to get a quote and be charged to fix Toyota's quality control issue.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Nov 272010

Prius

About 2 months ago the headlight on the passenger side would go off, but if you turned the lights off and then back on, the headlight would shine again. It was an intermittent occurrence, but now it is happening more frequently and I'm afraid that my wife, since she drives the Prius, may end up in an accident. I've done research on the internet and it seems as though this is happening to many other people.

- Bonita, CA, USA

Nov 302010

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving the headlights and the dashboard lights shut off. He had to drive onto the emergency lane and within a couple of minutes the lights came back on. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they were unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 31,000 and the current mileage was 31,500. Updated 3/1/11 updated 12/19/11

- Avon , CT, USA

Dec 012010

Prius 4-cyl

Hid headlamps on 2007 Toyota Prius dim and then go out. This happens everytime the lights are used. One headlamp has been replaced at the cost of over $200 and now the other headlamp exhibits the same behavior.

- Hickory, NC, USA

Jan 122011

Prius

Hid bulb failure. Bulb on passenger side was sometimes on and sometimes off. Bulb is V. expensive (~$200) and replacement by dealer costs another $100.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA

Dec 272010

Prius

The hid head lamps on my vehicle flicker and go out. If I switch the lights off and on again they light back up. This happens intermittently and randomly. It has happened several times while driving on the highway at speeds in excess of 70mph at night and I feel unsafe. Toyota has refused to accept this is a safety problem, but it is a very common issue with this generation Prius.

- Poquoson, VA, USA

Jan 142011

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius with hid headlights. Headlights will continuously go completely off while driving and require that the headlights to be switched off and on to turn them back on. This will occur intermittently anywhere from every few minutes to perhaps a half an hour or more. The bulbs appear to be in good working condition once they are on but then will go completely dark until you cycle the switch on/off. Literally thousands of owners of these vehicles have reported this same problem. These lamps are very expensive and are supposed to last much longer that regular headlamps, but it appears that Toyota has again failed to adequately test these systems to assure that they are reliable. When the lights go out while driving at night you are left with no visibility at all, a definite safety issue. This has been going on since at least 2006 with no action taken by the NHTSA. Why don't you guys do your job and require that these companies fix these obvious safety related issues caused by faulty parts or engineering!

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 012010

Prius 4-cyl

Intermittent right hid headlamp. Problem started about 40K miles. The light dims, flickers and goes out. Turning lights off to on will fix issue temporarily. Same problem reported by thousands. Repair costs vary from $300 to $2000. The problem occurs daily. Each time there is a risk of being in accident. Toyota and NHTSA are aware of the problem but nothing being done about it.

- Diamond Bar, CA, USA

Oct 152010

Prius 4-cyl

Passenger headlight works intermittently. Will turn off while driving and occasionally come back on if the lights are turned off then back on again. Dangerous to drive with one headlight working and I can't imagine what would happen if driving and both went out. Does not appear to be a loose connection as turning the lights off and back on will occasionally fix the problem until it happens again.

- Raleight, NC, USA

Jan 072011

Prius 4-cyl

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius with about 85,000 miles and the passenger side headlight only works periodically. Sometimes it doesn't come on and sometimes it works for the entire trip. I do not know when it is working and not since there is no alarm or light indicating that I have a problem. The dealership wants me to replace both hid lightbulbs for $300. I am not sure that this will fix the problem since sometimes it does work and stays on for a long period. This could be a major problem, especially if both headlights start having the same problem at the same time.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Oct 072010

Prius

Driver's side headlight is intermittent. If you turn the switch off, then back on, the headlight comes back on.

- Durango, CO, USA

Dec 152010

Prius 4-cyl

Toyota motors sent me a letter saying they installed faulty headlight bulbs in the 2007 Prius and they would only charge me $389.65 to replace them and you can't replace 1 bulb, you have to replace both. This is a safety item that they admit was their problem and I have to pay to fix it? talking to other owners and all of have traffic tickets that Toyota could pay for also.

- Kingsland, GA, USA

Dec 282010

Prius 4-cyl

2007 Toyota Prius is experiencing intermittent hid headlight failure. Right headlight was replaced in 2009 and now left headlight is experiencing same problem. Problem with left headlight began about 3 months ago and now light stays off for much longer and is quicker to occur. Car is at 52K so warranty does not cover this replacement.

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Oct 042010

Prius

Vehicle hid headlights just stopped functioning, they are still intermittent at this time, with the problem getting worse by the week. By shutting the car off, they may be turned on again, but only for a (variably) short time, sometimes less than 2 minutes, sometimes more than 15...

- Underhill, VT, USA

Jan 142009

Prius 4-cyl

Driver-side headlight functions intermittently at startup....I have to turn switch off completely and turn on, and light functions....many Prius owners have complained about this over the years, and Toyota has done nothing....some theorize the circuit board controlling the hid lights is in a poor location and overheats/defective....anyway this is not a bulb problem, but a system problem.....please help us......

- Diamond Bar, CA, USA

Dec 282008

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. While driving at any speed, the contact stated that the headlights on the vehicle would shut off without warning. He would then turn the switch off and on and they would come back on intermittently but would shut off again. Both the dealer and manufacture were notified who denied that there was a problem. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The current mileage was approximately 110,000. The failure mileage was approximately 30,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA