2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 17 of 46)

Oct 072010

Prius

Driver's side headlight is intermittent. If you turn the switch off, then back on, the headlight comes back on.

- Durango, CO, USA

Dec 152010

Prius 4-cyl

Toyota motors sent me a letter saying they installed faulty headlight bulbs in the 2007 Prius and they would only charge me $389.65 to replace them and you can't replace 1 bulb, you have to replace both. This is a safety item that they admit was their problem and I have to pay to fix it? talking to other owners and all of have traffic tickets that Toyota could pay for also.

- Kingsland, GA, USA

Dec 282010

Prius 4-cyl

2007 Toyota Prius is experiencing intermittent hid headlight failure. Right headlight was replaced in 2009 and now left headlight is experiencing same problem. Problem with left headlight began about 3 months ago and now light stays off for much longer and is quicker to occur. Car is at 52K so warranty does not cover this replacement.

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Oct 042010

Prius

Vehicle hid headlights just stopped functioning, they are still intermittent at this time, with the problem getting worse by the week. By shutting the car off, they may be turned on again, but only for a (variably) short time, sometimes less than 2 minutes, sometimes more than 15...

- Underhill, VT, USA

Jan 142009

Prius 4-cyl

Driver-side headlight functions intermittently at startup....I have to turn switch off completely and turn on, and light functions....many Prius owners have complained about this over the years, and Toyota has done nothing....some theorize the circuit board controlling the hid lights is in a poor location and overheats/defective....anyway this is not a bulb problem, but a system problem.....please help us......

- Diamond Bar, CA, USA

Dec 282008

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. While driving at any speed, the contact stated that the headlights on the vehicle would shut off without warning. He would then turn the switch off and on and they would come back on intermittently but would shut off again. Both the dealer and manufacture were notified who denied that there was a problem. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The current mileage was approximately 110,000. The failure mileage was approximately 30,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Dec 282010

Prius 4-cyl

While the car is in operation and the headlights are switched on, the driver side or passenger side headlight illumination would intermittently fail without warning. This has occurred for the past couple thousand miles. The current mileage of the car is 39,750. The lights would function again after switching them off and back on. This happens at least once a day and has progressively been worse. Safety is a key issue here in that if both lights fail while driving at night, could seriously cause a crash or accident. An online search for other drivers of the same make and model have revealed similar incidences/experiences. I proceeded to first call the manufacturer of the vehicle to see what can be done since the vehicle is barely out of warranty range and I have noticed other drivers online have received repairs and/or parts at no-cost to them for the same incident. They wanted me to bring the car into the dealer and get a diagnosis to determine if they can reimburse me for the repairs. The dealer reports that I need two new hid (high intensity discharge) bulbs and the total cost for the repairs would be approximately $600. I had no choice but to proceed with the repairs because my safety is at stake. I called back the manufacturer, as instructed, and without even considering review of the findings of the diagnosis performed by the dealer, I was told that the repairs would not be covered at all. I proceeded to ask why some drivers reported online that their repairs were covered outside of warranty and mine would not be. I simply wanted to know the criteria for choosing who gets to have them replaced for free and who would have to pay for repairs. I was told that to their knowledge, nobody has received full reimbursement for their repairs, only a reimbursement for the difference in the cost of the bulbs (which was reduced from $300 to $150/each). Had I been told this before, I would not bring the vehicle in for a "diagnosis" for a problem I knew already.

- Alhambra, CA, USA

Jan 152009

Prius 4-cyl

2007 Toyota Prius headlight failure. Headlights intermittent, go out but will come back on when light switch is toggled.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Nov 122010

Prius 4-cyl

I've got 2007 Prius. One of the headlights keeps going out. I can't really tell when or how it goes out since I can't see it. I'll notice it when I see the reflection in the back of another car. If I turn the bright lights on and off it has no effect, but when I turn them all the way off and back on the light comes back. Sometimes on long trips it will stay on the whole time, sometimes it won't. sometimes on short trips it will go out, sometimes it won't.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Dec 102010

Prius

Hid headlight in 2007 Toyota Prius keeps going on and off. This is a known issue with Toyota. It is expensive to replace the bulb. I wanted to add my name to the list of people affected by this problem.

- Monkton, MD, USA

Dec 142010

Prius

The headlights on my 2007 Toyota Prius go off after they have been on for a little bit. This has happened to the drivers side and on the passenger side headlights. This happens every time I turn the headlights on. It has been happening since the beginning of the year. I have had two different establishments check the wiring and headlights and they have found no problems with the wiring or the headlights being burned out. The headlights can't be burned out because when the headlights are turned on both headlights are on.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Dec 132010

Prius

Toyota 2007 Prius (us model) hid headlights are intermittent. This has been going on for years and replacement bulbs don't fix the issue. Lights may extinguish at any time with no warning creating a dangerous driving condition, particularly at night. Thousands of owners have complained about this issue, but no recall has been provided by Toyota.

- Oshawa, Ontario, Canada, 00, USA

Dec 112010

Prius

My 2007 Prius headlights go out. At first it was the passenger side. Yesterday both went out. Believe me I know things break, but for the price they want for these bulbs, they should of used a different technology for there light bulbs. My 2001 Chevy truck has had the same bulbs since new. If the bulbs on the Prius do not last, they should make it clear before someone buys the vehicle. Keep in mind most people who buy the Prius are doing so to save costs. Well if I have to spend600 bucks to replace bulbs it negates the reason I bought the car in the first place.

- Powhatan, VA, USA

Jun 012010

Prius

Left front headlight goes out after a few minutes. If you turn the lights off to let them cool, it will come back on for a few more minutes.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Oct 042010

Prius

Headlight(s) inadvertently turn off while driving. Either passenger or driver side headlight(s) turn off. The headlight(s) will turn back on when the on/off switch is switched off then switched on again. Having googled this issue, I was surprised that this is a chronic complaint and Toyota is aware of this issue but has not been forced to recall. Toyota needs to recall as consumers are being charged for repairs as well as costs for fix-it tickets.

- Dublin, CA, USA

Nov 012010

Prius

I have a 2007 Prius with 51,000 miles. For at least the past month, the passenger side hid headlamp has been going on and off periodically. Sometimes it has stopped working while driving and then will turn on again when I turn the headlamps off and on. Recently both headlamps had been going off and on at random. This was a safety hazard. On 12/2, I took the car in to a Toyota dealer and was told both headlamps were burned out. At first they charged me over $500 and after I complained about this high charge, they reduced the bill to $289, noting I would only be charged for labor. In my opinion, the hid headlamps were defective, burned out prematurely, and the fact that the lights would go on and off at random posed a safety hazard.

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Sep 112010

Prius

2007 Prius with 62K. The driver's side hid light goes out after about 3-5 minutes. Turn lights off and on, it reappears for a few minutes, then goes out again. But it is yellower than the passenger side. Some times both hid lights goes out. Very scary!!!

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Nov 112010

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius with xenon hid headlights that flicker or go off without warning. Toyota is aware of problem and offers to sell replacement lamps at $150 each plus labor to install them. I have researched the problem with other Prius owners and find it is a chronic known problem with no permanent solution. Replacing the lights last a few months to a few years but problem occurs again and Toyota collects the profits from repairing their defective product again and again.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Jan 012009

Prius

Headlights go out while in on mode.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Oct 252010

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius. Driver's side headlight goes off intermittently. First it becomes dim, then completely goes out. If I turn the light switch off and on it will go back on for a short time, but then goes off again. First noticed the problem driving on highway at night during a rain storm and had difficulty seeing.

- Jamaica Plain, MA, USA