2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 18 of 46)

Aug 222010

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. While driving at any speed, the headlights turned off intermittently. After turning the headlight switch off and on, the headlights would operate as normal. At times, just one headlight would turn off. The vehicle was being diagnosed and had not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were unknown.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Nov 172010

Prius 4-cyl

Headlight went out prematurely. Then, it turned back on. I was unaware it was out until I got stopped by a police officer.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 192010

Prius

My headlights, taillights, and brake lights intermittently go out while driving. One night, I was driving and I tried to use my high beams and all of my lights went out at the same time. After reading posts on the internet, it seems that this is a common problem for Toyota's. I hope that something can be donae about this.

- Durham, NC, USA

Nov 172010

Prius

Hid head lamp light bulb failed, both right and left bulbs at same time, while driving at night with lights on high beam. Turning lights off and back on to low beams returned light, but left me with a fanatic second or two while braking, steering and changing light control. This occurred three times on this night, until I noted the connection between light failure with lights on high beam but not low beam. I don't drive the car at night or in rain and have taken it in to Toyota dealer, whose price for parts and labor was over $400. Currently, I have ordered the bulbs from secondary market and will have them installed by a non-dealer mechanic.

- Brooktondale, NY, USA

Oct 152010

Prius

Failure of Toyota Prius hid headlamps, problem is intermittent and leaves me "driving in the dark." Failed at 35,321 miles leaving my family in danger of crash. Cycling head lights return lights, but only for a few minutes.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Nov 242009

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the headlights on the passenger side would intermittently turn off while she was driving. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the light bulb needed to be replaced. The bulb was not replaced. The dealer advised her to only use the headlights when absolutely necessary. The contact called the manufacturer who reduced the cost of the light bulb and filed a complaint. The VIN was unavailable. The current mileage was approximately 45,000. The failure mileage was approximately 30,000.

- Latrobe, PA, USA

Nov 132010

Prius

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius. I love the car, but the headlights are a major problem. The driver side especially will all of a sudden just turn off. It will flicker and then just quit. When I turn the switch off and then on, the lights will come back on, but then a few moments later, it will go back out. This is a very dangerous issue because I drive often at night. After taking it to a dealer, and reading all of the posts about people having exactly the same problem, I am convinced it is a major issue that Toyota must address. There absolutely needs to be a recall to rectify this very dangerous problem. Thank you!

- Oxford, OH, USA

Nov 142010

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius with hid headlights one headlight does not work most of the time, but not all of the time. It tends to work when having the dealer investigate, so they can't tell us why it isn't working or what it would take to fix it. This started before the warranty expired and has continued for another 40,000 miles. Recently the other one has started shutting off while driving leaving us with no headlights. They (one, occasionally both) usually come back on by turning the switch on and off, but I don't know that will always work so we could end up driving at night with no headlights.

- Henrico, VA, USA

Nov 152010

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius, problem first occurred around 36,000 miles. Drivers' side hid headlight goes out without warning. If the lights are then turned off then back on, the headlight will turn on again and work for a random amount of time before failing again. Car was brought to a Toyota service shop, where they replaced the drivers' side headlight with a new hid light. This was expensive and did not fix the problem. That night, the same thing happened: Brand new drivers' side light went off without warning and only came back on after the lights were turned off and back on. The car is going back to service next week. This occurs very frequently and is a safety issue. Reported incident date represents today's date- problem is ongoing and has been occurring for about 15,000 miles.

- Ithaca, NY, USA

Nov 012010

Prius

Headlight and tail light on the passenger side of our 2007 Toyota Prius goes on and then off. We can't depend on the lights to stay on.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Nov 122010

Prius

Headlights go on and off intermittently. One of the head light is bad and goes off, when I turn it off and on, it will work and after 1 -2 minutes it goes off again. It is unsafe to drive like that.

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Nov 102010

Prius

Faulty hid headlights on 2007 Toyota Prius. The lights go out while driving. To re-activate the headlights it is necessary to turn the headlight switch to the off position and turn it back to on position to re-activate the headlights. The headlights may work for a few minutes or only a few seconds before going out again. The problem may be due to a faulty igniter or control circuit. A number of other Prius owners are reporting the same issue on online forums.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Aug 012010

Prius

Passenger hid headlight has failed multiple times.

- Durham, NC, USA

Oct 292010

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. While driving approximately 65 mph, the contact stated that the visibility diminished and the passenger side headlight failed. She turned the headlights off and turned them back on. The failure occurred intermittently. The driver side headlight was replaced in 2009 under warranty. The dealer stated that the contact would be responsible for costs associated with replacing the passenger headlight. The vehicle had not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were approximately 80,000.

- Providence , RI, USA

Nov 032010

Prius

The headlights on my Toyota Prius failed. Came on some times then after turning on and off. The wire harness to the bulb of the headlight seem burnt, and after reading hundreds of complaint just like this, Toyota has a problem-I have a problem -hundreds of dollars to replace headlight bulbs is insane and not the only issue here.

- Concord, NC, USA

Nov 042010

Prius

I have a 2007 Prius with hid headlights. On an intermittent basis, one of the headlights will not operate or will stop operating. Turning the lights off with the switch on the stalk will restore operation. Not a good thing to have to do on a dark two lane rural road on a dark night. As an example, yesterday during a rain filed day, the headlights were turned on as required by Maryland law. We were leaving to drive to pa when my wife got in the car she noticed the right headlight was out. Off and on did not seem to make a difference. After arriving in pa, I had to drive on a dark and rain filled road and I believe that the right light was working but the left (driver side) was not. I was taking my son to the er and did not have time to trouble shoot the problem. Today, in the middle of the day, both headlights were fully functional. I first noticed this problem about 10 months ago on a night trip. The problem has occurred three or four times over the time period. I know I will get a huge bill from Toyota to replace the bulbs and that may or may not solve the problem. It is a huge safety issue.

- Tall Timbers, MD, USA

Nov 032010

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact was driving at various speeds with the headlights and suddenly they failed to operate. The failure occurred whenever the headlights were turned on. The headlights would function when the switch was turned on and off. The dealer was notified of the problem and informed him that the headlight replacement cost was $300. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 100,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 1/19/2010 updated 01/27/11

- Milford, MA, USA

Jun 012008

Prius

We have had multiple intermittent problems with the hid headlamps on our 2007 Toyota Prius. Both left and right have been replaced once. (at less than 25,000 miles.) they had been suddenly failing while driving. Very scary situation!!! now out of warranty, right lamp intermittently fails. It seems to work on and off without any clear reason. Dealer does not seem to have clear idea what cause may be, but says first thing to try is to replace lamp (>$400), if that does not resolve issue, it may be a "control" module at >$1000.

- Elmira, NY, USA

Nov 022010

Prius

I have been reading excessive numbers of complaints on the web regarding issues with Toyota Prius headlight issues. Some consumers have put out over a thousand dollars, others hundreds to get issues resolved and in some cases appear to be unresolved. I inquired at Toyota regarding the issue and I was told there is no current recall but in the event one is ordered, those that have put out hundreds and a thousand plus would probably be reimbursed. Has any investigation been conducted regarding this matter? in my opinion, this is a transportation safety issue with people driving down the road not knowing when or if their headlights are going to fail.

- Salda, CA, USA

Oct 012010

Prius

Driver side headlight goes off right after you turn lights on, can hardly drive at night, costs $400 to fix one headlight at dealership $250 for labor and $150 for light itself.

- Gainesville, VA, USA