2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 21 of 46)

May 062010

Prius

Headlights of my 2007 Toyota Prius would go off intermittently.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 242010

Prius

Hid headlights periodically extinguish. Can be turned back on by switching light switch on and off. Had only been one light at a time for about two months prior to today's date, then, last night, while driving, both lights extinguished simultaneously, though both went back on when light switch turned off, then on again. Very frightening experience. I have listed date of dual headlight failure in "incident date" box.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Aug 232010

Prius

Passenger side headlight flickering for almost a year. Finally stopped working a week ago while driving to airport. On driving home from airport last night driver's side headlight simply turned off while going 40 miles an hour. Fog lamps continue to burn but no headlights on either side. On reading of other's complaints today after calling my dealer to find out what I should do about the problem and getting a quote for $400 replacement, I discover that this is a known issue. I then walked out to my car and did what others said, turned the headlights off then on again. Guess what, the lights came on.

- Apopka, FL, USA

Aug 072010

Prius

Auto model Toyota 2007 Prius - exterior lighting - headlight failure no accident - no consequences. Suddenly the left headlight started to go out after working fine at initial turn on. The symptoms are exactly those described in NHTSA action number PE09019. After the light turns off, if the headlight switch is cycled - the light comes back on - only to fail some time later. It is an intermittent and sporadic failure. Sometimes when fender is struck, the light will go out. Taken to dealer - they were unable to repeat this failure. No parts replaced. Will take Prius back to dealer tomorrow.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 232010

Prius

Problems with the headlights in 2007 Prius. The first one on the passenger side went out on 07/07/09 when the car was two years old. This one was covered by warranty. The headlight on the driver side has now gone out intermittently. The same way as the previous headlight. We also had to replace one of our brake lights.

- Ferndale, WA, USA

Apr 142010

Prius

My 2007 Prius started having right headlight failure when I would drive on a rough road it would turn off then back on some 6 months ago. My husband checked the wiring and it came back on. The car had 45000 miles on it at this time. About 3 weeks ago both of them started turning on and off and 2 nights ago while driving home I had to turn them on and off 22 times and they would come back on and then get dim and then turn off. I took it to them at the dealership and they stated the left light was bad and the light and ballast were replaced for the tune of 614 dollars. They did nothing for the right light. I called and opened a case with Toyota who will not pay for ay of it. This should be in a recall!

- Sun City, FL, USA

Apr 102010

Prius

My 2007 Toyota, Prius passenger side randomly stops working. When turn off the switch and turn on it starts working. This has been going since mid April of 2010. On 08/18/2010 both the headlights stopped working on the freeway. As soon as I turned off the switch and turned on, both head light started working. I have talked to another Prius owner and he seems to have the similar problem with his headlights.

- Mountain House, CA, USA

Aug 182010

Prius

The left hid headlight on my Toyota 2007 Prius went out at 63,000 miles. Took to the dealer for service. I was told that not only would the bulb have to be changed but the chip in back of the bulb would need to be replaced also. Price to replace the bulb/chip was $490. Neither were covered under warranty. Also advised by the dealer that they usually see this happening in pairs and could expect to see my right light go out as well. That would be an additional $490 to replace.

- Johnston, RI, USA

Dec 102009

Prius

Toyota Prius 2007 with hid lights. One or the other headlight randomly turns off, but to the driver they are unaware unless both turn off at the same time. Toyota dealer replaced bulb twice but problem persisted. Finally the service manager who is also a friend of mine, told me the problem is in one of the circuit boards and he replaced it. That was 5 months ago and it has been fine since then. Toyota, this should be widely known by all your dealers and fixed.

- Oroville, WA, USA

Oct 082008

Prius

Hid headlights flicker out intermittently and randomly. Turning the lights on and off again turns the offending light back on - this on/off procedure is required 1 time every 5-10 minutes. Sometimes both bulbs go out at the same time. Sometimes one or the other goes out only once during a 20 minute trip. Sometimes they go out 10 times during a 20 minute trip. Changing the light bulbs didn't solve the problem.

- Lakeport, CA, USA

Jul 152010

Prius

I am about to replace the second headlight on my 2007 Prius at a cost of approximately $600. The headlight, which costs approximately $175, has repeatedly failed which failure is apparently caused by a defect in the design and construction of the headlight. This is a serious safety hazard which Toyota should replace immediately. In addition the car is designed so that the front bumper has to be removed in order to replace the headlight (a labor cost of approximately $400). The cost alone is somewhat of a deterrent to replacing the headlight.

- Somis, CA, USA

Aug 102010

Prius

The third headlight bulb has just failed on my 2007 Toyota Prius...I've had it! under 60,000 miles! 3 bulbs? ridiculous.

- Montrose, PA, USA

Jun 012010

Prius

Toyota Prius hid headlights go out intermittently. If you power them off and then on again, sometimes they'll work. Since they go out without warning and irregularly, it's impossible to tell if they are actually on or off while driving. Toyota technicians refuse to replace headlight if it is working when they test, leading to false sense of security on the part of the driver.

- San Jose, CA, USA

May 152009

Prius

There is a headlight safety issue with the Toyota Prius. It is hard to identify when you are driving the vehicle because the lights turn on, but they do not stay on. So when you start your car and turn on the lights they both start on. However intermittently there is a trigger that causes the lights to go out. Sometimes it is the passenger light, sometimes it is both the passenger and driver headlights.sometimes they don't ever turn off. This has been going on for about a year and took this long to figure out. The problem is there is always "some" light coming from another light source around the headlights so when driving, you see that there is some light on the road, tricking you into thinking you have both headlights when you really don't. this is a huge safety problem, especially driving in rural mountain areas. When this started happening, since I had some light on the road, I thought it was my eyes or health and went to the eye doctors, etc. Not my eyes - it's the car. It is interrmittent and because there was some light on the road I thought it was my vision not the headlights. When the lights do this you have a hard time seeing curves in the dark etc. It is harder to detect in city driving which we do mostly. We did receive a letter frm Toyota about the headlights indicating some people had problems with the headlights and Toyota erroneously charged them for the switch and they would be reimbursed. However, it did not describe the problem the same way it happens so we didn't think there was an issue. There are many people on the internet reporting this serious safety issue and Toyota is considering this regular maintenance and wants everyone to pay for it themselves. This should be a recall notice describing exactly what happens and they should pay to fix it. I'm putting the appx date it started, but I have been documenting the light behavior in detail the last few days. There are more reports of this problem on the internet.

- Cypress, CA, USA

Jun 202010

Prius

My 2007 Toyota Prius headlamps on the passenger side burned out at 50000 miles then a month later the driver side burned out. After paying $275 for each new headlight to be replaced the passenger side has burnt out again with only 30000 miles usage. I purchased the car to save money on the fuel mileage but end up saving nothing due to service work on replacing headlamps.

- Tallassee, AL, USA

Jul 272010

Prius

Driver side hid headlight repeatedly goes out while driving. Have to stop vehicle and turn lights off and then back on to make them work again. Dealer wants $700-$1,000 to replace parts without knowing if that will fix problem. Car only has 46,627 miles.

- Moscow, ID, USA

Jul 262010

Prius

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius with hid headlights, 54,000 miles. Today, (7/26/2010) I had the headlight bulbs changed for the 3rd time, under warranty. First time Jan. '09, 2nd time, Aug. '09, and now, July '10. First time was under vehicle warranty; dealer said replacements had 1 year warranty, so the last 2 times were covered. They go out at random. Today, one of the bulbs was shattered. My own observation: These lights are so bright, that when one goes out, you don't even notice, (until you get pulled over by the police). This is an ongoing Toyota Prius problem, is not safe, and a recall should be initiated. This is my 3rd contact to NHTSA on this issue.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Oct 012009

Prius

The car was used very rarely and headlights were rarely turned on. The driver side headlight turned off on its own and could be turned on again by flipping headlights switch off then on again. It would then turn off shortly again thereafter. A night drive in yosemite proved to be quite frightening with this happening over and over. I complained to Toyota while my car was still under warranty and they denied the problem because they could not reproduce it. Shortly thereafter, the company sent a letter to all Prius owners confirming the problem. It's disappointing to see that Toyota knew about it yet denied it completely. When the letter came out, my car was no longer under warranty. The product was defective because it's lifespan had nothing to do with the amount of time it was used. I think to say the headlight flickers is incorrect-it shuts off completely and sporadically.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jul 142010

Prius

The hid headlight on the passenger side of my Prius is starting to flicker and go on and off. The bulb is supposed to last 10 years but it's been only 3 years since I bought the car. The bulb or headlight electronics is defective but I've been told it could cost up to $1,000 to repair. It seems this is happening to a lot of Prius owners.

- Carmel, NY, USA

Jul 132010

Prius

The headlights in my 2007 Prius turn off without notice. Sometimes a single headlight will go out, sometimes both will. There have been several occasions where I have found myself in total darkness while driving. I am able to get the headlights to come back on by turning the headlight off/on lever. The headlights always go out within the first minute or two of starting the vehicle, and continue to randomly go off as I drive. The car was taken to the dealer for repair. The lights went out at the repair shop as is noted in the invoice. Both headlight bulbs were replaced at a cost of $345. (part # toy 90981-20029) it took 3 labor hours to replace these bulbs for which I was charged an additional $295. The invoice states: "H.I.D. ballasts and wires with connections are ok at this time." The Toyota service advisor stated that they were having problems with the original bulbs and they now use a different bulb, however nothing was covered by a recall. While no accident occurred in our vehicle due to headlight failure, there was a significant possibility of an accident. There are many reports on the internet by other Prius drivers of this same problem.

- Trabuco Canyon, CA, USA