2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 26 of 46)

Jan 202010

Prius

1. intermittent headlight failure at 57K miles in 2007 Prius. 2. right headlight has twice gone out, only to recover at next use of car. 3. checked web and found premature headlight failures like this are widespread and expensive to repair. Received Toyota letter about problem. Dealer will replace mine at no cost to me.

- Fairlee, VT, USA

Jan 162010

Prius

Hid headlight suddenly turning off. The problem has occurred almost randomly in our 2007 Toyota Prius since Nov 2009. The lights go out sometimes one, sometimes both headlights. The problem is almost always resolved by flipping the headlights off and then back on again - however that is a temporary solution as the headlights sometimes go out again within a minute. The occurrences of this happening are difficult to discern as one cannot always tell if just one headlight goes out. However the problem does appear to be random - daytime, nighttime, rain, snow, bumpy or smooth roads.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Feb 032010

Prius

There are intermittent problems with both headlights and both tail lights on my 2007 Toyota Prius. Bulbs have been replaced but the problem persists. My Prius includes the hid headlamp package. Headlights will appear to work when turned on initially, then one or both will fail while driving or stopped. Failure can be temporarily resolved by turning the lights off and back on. Time to failure is not consistent; failure may occur within 60 seconds or may not happen at all during an hour long drive. The tail lights appear to work randomly. I noticed the driver side tail light was not working, but later found it working and passenger side tail light was not working instead. This problem has resulted in one police traffic stop.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Feb 042010

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving my 2007 Toyota Prius when the left headlight suddenly went off. I had to stop the car because I could not see well. I turned off the headlights and turned them back on. Subsequently, the left headlight was working fine again. This incident has happened several times before and involved the right headlight. I took the car to a Toyota dealer and the right headlight was replaced. Now, the same incident is happening with the left headlight.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Mar 102009

Prius

Passenger side headlight goes in and out randomly. The dealer is saying that it's a computer problem and it would cost more than $1000 to replace it. I had my car for less than 2 years before it started happening but it's over 36,000 miles.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 092010

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius headlight failures headlights turn on and off at will they say it is a bulb problem but it keeps recurring you can be driving down the road and lights go completely out.

- Waynesville, OH, USA

Jun 072009

Prius

Prius 07. The headlights go off. Depends on how bumpy the road is. You have to turn the lights off and then back on for them to come on again, only to go right out. It happens all the time. I was told it would cost around $400 a light bulb, and as long as it was not dangerous, they were not planning on doing a recall.

- Johnsburg, IL, USA

May 202009

Prius

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius. It has the hid headlamps. They have been failing intermittently since last year. When I have taken the car to the dealer they are working. I know many others are having this problem. My car only has 28,000 miles on it and the headlights should not be wearing out yet.

- Eden Prairie, MN, USA

Jan 252010

Prius

Both headlights in my 2007 Toyota Prius go out while driving, sometimes intermittently. While cycling the hid bulbs on and off will power them back on, the problem is now worsening. These are very expensive bulbs and other car manufacturers do not have this problem. The Toyota response is not acceptable and it's become apparent there is a pattern of denial and obfuscation from this manufacturer. Their handling of the sudden acceleration and floor mats issues tells us they will not act in a responsible and fair business manner until forced to. Please force them to rectify this dangerous flaw and to act responsibly to their customers.

- Holtsville, NY, USA

Jan 072010

Prius

High intensity head lamps will go out on my 2007 Toyota Prius. Very unsafe, especially if I am on an unfamiliar road after dark. Toyota claims that there is not a problem, but they also say that they do not know why they go out. They also have promised to pay for new bulbs if I have them installed by their tech, which I understand, but they charged $150 to install and I have not rec'd a refund check for the bulbs. This a definite safety issue if they can't figure out how to fix them so it does not re-occur. The car had less than 50,000 miles on it when it started to happen.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Jan 052010

Prius

Driver side hid headlight goes out intermittently while driving and while the switch is turned on. Can relight by turning off lights and turning them back on; passenger side light remains lit when the drivers side goes out.

- Arcadia, CA, USA

Feb 012010

Prius

Hid headlights, intermittent failure. Both sides. 3 times last week.

- Aromas, CA, USA

Dec 102009

Prius

Headlights on 2007 Prius continue to go out during driving. I have been on the highway and had both lights go out without knowing it. I feel very unsafe in this car. Toyota quotes over $150 for parts to replace each lightbulb. Which, I am told, may not correct the problem, it may be in the controller.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Jan 282010

Prius

At any time while driving one headlight goes out. Both lights must be turned off and back on then light comes on. Sometimes it goes right out again. Car has the optional hid headlight system.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Jan 292010

Prius

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius with only 20,000 miles. The headlight works randomly. It appears to be a widespread problem with other Prius.

- Jefferson, LA, USA

Dec 122009

Prius

Hid headlight goes on and off. Once it goes off, it could be turned back on by flicking the switch off and back on again. Sometimes it doesn't come on at all or suddenly goes off while the vehicle is in motion. Tw*

- Emeryville, CA, USA

May 192009

Prius

One or both headlights spontaneously turn off. It happens at least once per night and sometimes many times. Often I can pull over and turn them on and off until the problem corrects. At first Toyota said there was nothing wrong. Then the passenger side went out completely and the driver's side was still intermittant. Toyota then replaced the passenger side headlight and the dealer told me the Toyota warranty manager wouldn't let them replace both. Later the second headlight went out completely and Toyota refused to fix it because my car had passed the 36,000 mile mark. Tw*

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

May 012008

Prius

Before the 36K miles the driver side hid went out then it would come back up, I mentioned it to the dealer they replaced it. I also mentioned that their is a class action relating to the Prius hids. At 40K the passenger side hid starting acting up also the dealer refused to replace it even though I had extended warranty. This is an ongoing issue with all Prius' and it should be recalled. It can cause a major accident. Tw*

- Huntington Park, CA, USA

Jan 102010

Prius

Within 15000 miles, the passenger side hid headlamp began flickering and would randomly go off. This was replaced by the dealer free of charge. At about 30,000 miles, the drivers side hid headlamp began randomly shutting off. This has become more frequent and is becoming a safety hazard.

- Arlington, WA, USA

Jan 202010

Prius

My driver side hid headlight has been intermittently going out for several months, becoming much more frequent now. The light suddenly goes off and then if I quickly switch the lights off and on it works but lately has been going out again after a few seconds. I have not yet replaced the bulb, as Toyota is charging $150 for a single bulb.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA