2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 3 of 45)

Oct 152009

Lights intermittently fail while driving. Usually only one side but occasionally both at once. Very dangerous and scary. Toyota has told me they don't know what the problem is.

- Richmond, KY, USA

Oct 172015

The driver side headlight keeps going off, when driving the car, even with a brand new bulb in. Also, one time, both headlights went out when I was sitting at a stop sign, and turned on the turn signal. Huge safety problem! the lights come on when turned on initially then go off as I am driving on any road.

- Northfield, OH, USA

Oct 152015

When my vehicle has the headlights on while I am driving one or both will spontaneously go off. This occurs more when it is wet out, and seems to occur more when I hit a bump, but it will occur often with no antecedent. If I turn the headlight switch off and then on again the headlight (or headlights) will turn back on but then may go off randomly again later while driving. The bulbs are fine. I've read online and this seems to be a common problem for the 2006 and 2007 Prius. So common I doubt it is a random malfunction but a engineering/electrical design or equipment problem. Very dangerous when driving at night. Occurs almost every time I drive it.

- Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Aug 012015

I started to notice the right hid headlight bulb spontaneously go out while driving and read somewhere that this might be a pre warning that the bulb was at the end of its life. I went ahead and replaced both bulbs (which are ridiculously expensive) with brand new ones, yet this did not fix the problem. At any given time, the right bulb decides to turn off and sometimes the left one for no apparent reason (not tied to hitting bumps). This is extremely dangerous to be driving at night when at any given time the bulbs could go out. I read somewhere that this isn't really deemed a safety issue because its usually just one bulb that goes out and that gives you enough time to get to a service station, but if thats the case, tell me how I can get pulled over by the police for having a bulb out and how they justify the dangers associated with it" according to "traffic laws in each state contain statutes regarding nighttime driving and the appropriate use of headlights. Driving with poor visibility due to conditions, such as poor or non-working headlights is a main cause of nighttime accidents. Aside from being a main cause of nighttime accidents, driving without headlights after dusk or before dawn, will result in a driving without lights ticket from law enforcement." What will it take for Toyota to issue a recall on a known and widespread issue? this reminds me of the movie "fight club": your driving 65 mph down a dark road and your headlights go out, a deer you cant see jumps out in front of the car, and you crash and burn with everyone trapped inside. Now, should Toyota initiate a recall" take the number of vehicles in the field, a, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. a times B times C equals X. if X is less than the cost of a recall, they don't do one.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 062014

Headlamps and tail lights subject to intermittent periods of failure to stay lit while driving. Not regular, nor consistent to one light and not the other. General unreliability of electrical road illumination system. Creates a high potential for dangerous accidents with oncoming vehicles failing to recognize my vehicle profile accurately when approaching on narrow roadways.

- Concord, CA, USA

Sep 202015

I was driving after dark on the freeway. After 2 minutes the driver side headlight went out. I turned the lights off and back on. The driver side light went out again after another 2 - 3 minutes. This repeated for 3 more times. After the 5th time turning the lights off and back on, both headlights went out after about 3 minutes. This while moving at more than 60 mph on a dark freeway. I turned the lights off and back on again, and the precedure repeated from the beginning, I.e. left headlight went out 3 more times before I reached my destination. My Prius has hid lights and this appears to be a common problem as these ars get older. Does someone need to die first before the NHTSA gets Toyota to fix this problem?

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Sep 242015

The lights on this vehicle have been an issues since I bought it in 2012. The headlights randomly go off while driving, usually one at a time. They will come on again if you notice it and flick the switch. Replacing the bulbs has not solved the problem(had one replaced) now my daughter is driving the vehicle and she has been stopped a number of times with a headlight out. I will again replace the bulb, but this does not appear to be the underlying problem, which appears to be a manufacturers problem to me.

- Newfane, VT, USA

Sep 122015

Headlamps go out suddenly and back on if switched turned off then on. Bulbs werereplaced as part of recall and it continues to happen. Over $500 quote to replace bulbs but no guarantee it doesn't continue to happen.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Dec 012014

While returning home the lights (both) flickered and the left headlight went out. After a stop for groceries and preparing to leave both headlights were working. As we neared our home the left light went out again. Both situations happened around 8:00 and 8:30 pm. Since the first incident we have had the left, right and both lights fail on at least a dozen separate occasions. We have discovered this problem has affected hundreds of thousands of Prius'. Toyota is responsible for this known problem and must fix these failures.

- Chillicothe, OH, USA

Mar 162015

Driving the car the headlights will just go out. 6 months ago it use to happen once or twice a week but is getting worse and now on August 16, 2015 9:30 pm, it happened 2 times in a 35 minute drive on the highway. Had this been on one of the windy back roads without streetlights it would have been a lot more dangerous. By searching the web we have figured out that we need to turn the lights off and back on to get them to come back on. It happens at 25 mph, 45 mph or 55 mph.

- Hillsboro, OR, USA

Jul 312015

My right headlight began flickering around 2-3 months ago. I then purchased 2 hid bulbs to replace both sides at 1X. Immediately after the replacement a few weeks ago, my right light would flicker then both headlights would turn off. Id immediately have to turn lights on and off then they would come back on. The lights would stay on for about 45 seconds then flicker and off again and id have to start the cycle again. I travel 120 miles a day and this has limited the ability to use the vehicle safely and with peace of mind.

- Atwater, CA, USA

Jul 012015

Right headlight failed. I had this headlight replaced about 20K miles ago, along with the other on the left side. The previous replacement was due to lights flickering off while driving; a very unsafe condition to develop while night driving. Intermittent lighting continued until the headlamps were replaced. Now, 20K miles later, the headlamps are failing again. This is neither safe nor consumer friendly.

- San Diego, CA, USA

May 152015

The headlights on the vehicle continue to fail, day in and day out. Now both headlights shut off and won't stay on for longer than a minute.

- Elizabeth, NJ, USA

Jun 012015

Head lamps randomly shut off. Sometimes it is one light and other times is it both lights. Very dangerous for my pregnant wife to be on the road and have the headlights shut off!

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 032015

One headlight started to flicker and then both headlights went out while driving. Tried to turn off and back on and went on for a few seconds and then they were done. Had to drive back in the dark. We were out of state and it happened during the 4th of July holiday weekend so we had to cut the trip short and get extra hotel nights as we could no longer travel at night.

- Westfield, IN, USA

May 012015

The left head light functions intermittently. It will turn off while driving smoothly, fast or slow. I can drive over bumps and uneven roads and have the light on the entire time, or sometimes it shuts off. My car has new bulbs and the connections have been checked for correct installation. After reading many forums, I've heard that the dealers will replace the computer, light bulb and light assembly for at least 2600$. consumers should not have to pay for functioning light assemblies. Please look ivy this problem.

- Manchester, NH, USA

May 052015

Like so many others have reported, one of the hid headlights will suddenly stop working. Turning the lights off and then on again "fixes" the problem for that moment. But the problem can reoccur within a few minutes. I have experienced this problem most every time I have driven the vehicle at night since the initial incident. Given all the other complaints, and the 2011 class action lawsuit on this issue which Toyota settled without admitting guilt, this is a safety issue well-known to Toyota. Evidence shows the problem is not the light bulbs but the electronic control unit (ECU) or other electrical issue. I have enquired to Toyota customer service. They acknowledge the class action lawsuit and say my vehicle qualifies under the lawsuit, but they will not take responsibility for fixing the problem. The best they offer is for me to pay to get new light bulbs and then submit my receipts to them for possible reimbursement. Given the many comments by others that the problem continued even with new bulbs, this "resolution" by Toyota seems hardly adequate. NHTSA must and should take action and demand Toyota properly repair/resolve this issue. I bought this used vehicle in October 2014 at a Toyota dealership in the phoenix area.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Mar 102014

Prius 4-cyl

Date and mileage are approximate. While driving at night my headlights went out completely. Since then, they continually go out randomly. Sometimes it will begin with one or the other going out and then both. At this point, I am able to turn them off and on again and they come back on for awhile....I am quite concerned about this as sudden darkness while driving at night is a serious safety hazard. Does an accident and/or death need to happen before action is taken?... I am also quite confused that there has not been a recall as this problem seems to be quite common.......updated 08/20/15 updated 12/10/15

- California, MD, USA

Mar 282015

I was driving down the interstate when all of the sudden my headlights went completely out thank god I was able to pull over and get them working again this happened in March for the first time and has now happened 7 times since this is very dangerous and I think this needs some attn.. thanks bill

- Memphis, MO, USA

Apr 092014

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. While driving at approximately 50 mph, the instrument panel, the headlights, and the tail lights failed to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the headlights were replaced but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 75,642.

- Davenport, IA, USA