2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 3 of 46)

Dec 012015

Prius

One hid headlamp will occasionally turn itself off. Turning headlamp switch off for 3-5 minutes and then back on will correct the issue. As one could imagine, very problematic when driving on the freeway at night. Multiple bulb replacements (over $150 each) have had no effect. Dealer recommended full headlamp replacement is over $1000. Research found that many others have had a similar issue, and eventually trace the problem back to the ballast of the hid lamp, which is easily damaged by water from poor design (the ballast is weather-sealed against the engine compartment, but not against the headlamp itself; any water that makes its way into the lamp will run down and pool on the ballast electronics).

- Lansing, MI, USA

Nov 012015

Prius

My headlight comes on but goes out intermitently. If I turn the light off and turn it back on it comes back on. I;ve read about other people having this issue and heard that replacing the expensive bulb sometimes doesn;T fix the problem and there is a class action suit on it.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Nov 122015

Prius

While driving at night the headlamps will randomly and somewhat frequently just go out. If I turn the switch off and back on again they will come back on. This is very dangerous because it is not always obvious that they have gone out. I have read that many other people experience this problem and a recall should be issued.

- Montgomery Village, MD, USA

Oct 262015

Prius

The headlights go at without warning. Sometimes one goes out sometimes both while we are driving. Bulb replacement does not fix the issues. This has continued to be a problem for years. Toyota service has not offered a fix that works! I have been driving on the highway or local roads when, all of a sudden, all the lighting goes dark. I have had success in relighting the headlights by turning off the headlights at the main switch and then turning them back on. Extremely dangerous. Breaks are also a menace: On wet roads it is especially noticeable when using the breaks. If you are breaking and a tire goes over a more slippery surface than the pavement, such as a manhole cover, the ABS system cuts breaking to all the wheels such that the car continues on as if the breaks are not being applied - the car effectively releases the breaks and you loose control of the car until its systems decide to return controls to the driver. This happens over and over and over. Try it on a road with a bit of loose gravel on it or the leftover coarse sand from winter road maintenance or going through a milde pothole where gravel has spilled onto the road....breaking in these conditions will consistently cause the car to diminish breaking power to such an extent that the car is no longer lowing down. We own 6 cars of varying makes and this is the only car that has this issue. The other side of this same issue is that if you are pulling out into traffic and a drive wheel hits a slightly slippery patch, the engine power is cut for so long and so severely that we are at risk of being hit. This happens every single time. Toyota service has not offered a fix. Though we have told them abou this issue repeatedly, they typically do not write it down and tell us it is normal. It is not normal or safe.

- Monsey, NY, USA

Oct 152009

Prius

Lights intermittently fail while driving. Usually only one side but occasionally both at once. Very dangerous and scary. Toyota has told me they don't know what the problem is.

- Richmond, KY, USA

Oct 172015

Prius

The driver side headlight keeps going off, when driving the car, even with a brand new bulb in. Also, one time, both headlights went out when I was sitting at a stop sign, and turned on the turn signal. Huge safety problem! the lights come on when turned on initially then go off as I am driving on any road.

- Northfield, OH, USA

Oct 152015

Prius

When my vehicle has the headlights on while I am driving one or both will spontaneously go off. This occurs more when it is wet out, and seems to occur more when I hit a bump, but it will occur often with no antecedent. If I turn the headlight switch off and then on again the headlight (or headlights) will turn back on but then may go off randomly again later while driving. The bulbs are fine. I've read online and this seems to be a common problem for the 2006 and 2007 Prius. So common I doubt it is a random malfunction but a engineering/electrical design or equipment problem. Very dangerous when driving at night. Occurs almost every time I drive it.

- Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Aug 012015

Prius

I started to notice the right hid headlight bulb spontaneously go out while driving and read somewhere that this might be a pre warning that the bulb was at the end of its life. I went ahead and replaced both bulbs (which are ridiculously expensive) with brand new ones, yet this did not fix the problem. At any given time, the right bulb decides to turn off and sometimes the left one for no apparent reason (not tied to hitting bumps). This is extremely dangerous to be driving at night when at any given time the bulbs could go out. I read somewhere that this isn't really deemed a safety issue because its usually just one bulb that goes out and that gives you enough time to get to a service station, but if thats the case, tell me how I can get pulled over by the police for having a bulb out and how they justify the dangers associated with it" according to trafficviolationslawfirms.com: "traffic laws in each state contain statutes regarding nighttime driving and the appropriate use of headlights. Driving with poor visibility due to conditions, such as poor or non-working headlights is a main cause of nighttime accidents. Aside from being a main cause of nighttime accidents, driving without headlights after dusk or before dawn, will result in a driving without lights ticket from law enforcement." What will it take for Toyota to issue a recall on a known and widespread issue? this reminds me of the movie "fight club": your driving 65 mph down a dark road and your headlights go out, a deer you cant see jumps out in front of the car, and you crash and burn with everyone trapped inside. Now, should Toyota initiate a recall" take the number of vehicles in the field, a, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. a times B times C equals X. if X is less than the cost of a recall, they don't do one.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 062014

Prius

Headlamps and tail lights subject to intermittent periods of failure to stay lit while driving. Not regular, nor consistent to one light and not the other. General unreliability of electrical road illumination system. Creates a high potential for dangerous accidents with oncoming vehicles failing to recognize my vehicle profile accurately when approaching on narrow roadways.

- Concord, CA, USA

Sep 202015

Prius

I was driving after dark on the freeway. After 2 minutes the driver side headlight went out. I turned the lights off and back on. The driver side light went out again after another 2 - 3 minutes. This repeated for 3 more times. After the 5th time turning the lights off and back on, both headlights went out after about 3 minutes. This while moving at more than 60 mph on a dark freeway. I turned the lights off and back on again, and the precedure repeated from the beginning, I.e. left headlight went out 3 more times before I reached my destination. My Prius has hid lights and this appears to be a common problem as these ars get older. Does someone need to die first before the NHTSA gets Toyota to fix this problem?

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Sep 242015

Prius

The lights on this vehicle have been an issues since I bought it in 2012. The headlights randomly go off while driving, usually one at a time. They will come on again if you notice it and flick the switch. Replacing the bulbs has not solved the problem(had one replaced) now my daughter is driving the vehicle and she has been stopped a number of times with a headlight out. I will again replace the bulb, but this does not appear to be the underlying problem, which appears to be a manufacturers problem to me.

- Newfane, VT, USA

Sep 122015

Prius

Headlamps go out suddenly and back on if switched turned off then on. Bulbs werereplaced as part of recall and it continues to happen. Over $500 quote to replace bulbs but no guarantee it doesn't continue to happen.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Dec 012014

Prius

While returning home the lights (both) flickered and the left headlight went out. After a stop for groceries and preparing to leave both headlights were working. As we neared our home the left light went out again. Both situations happened around 8:00 and 8:30 pm. Since the first incident we have had the left, right and both lights fail on at least a dozen separate occasions. We have discovered this problem has affected hundreds of thousands of Prius'. Toyota is responsible for this known problem and must fix these failures.

- Chillicothe, OH, USA

Mar 162015

Prius

Driving the car the headlights will just go out. 6 months ago it use to happen once or twice a week but is getting worse and now on August 16, 2015 9:30 pm, it happened 2 times in a 35 minute drive on the highway. Had this been on one of the windy back roads without streetlights it would have been a lot more dangerous. By searching the web we have figured out that we need to turn the lights off and back on to get them to come back on. It happens at 25 mph, 45 mph or 55 mph.

- Hillsboro, OR, USA

Jul 312015

Prius

My right headlight began flickering around 2-3 months ago. I then purchased 2 hid bulbs to replace both sides at 1X. Immediately after the replacement a few weeks ago, my right light would flicker then both headlights would turn off. Id immediately have to turn lights on and off then they would come back on. The lights would stay on for about 45 seconds then flicker and off again and id have to start the cycle again. I travel 120 miles a day and this has limited the ability to use the vehicle safely and with peace of mind.

- Atwater, CA, USA

Jul 012015

Prius

Right headlight failed. I had this headlight replaced about 20K miles ago, along with the other on the left side. The previous replacement was due to lights flickering off while driving; a very unsafe condition to develop while night driving. Intermittent lighting continued until the headlamps were replaced. Now, 20K miles later, the headlamps are failing again. This is neither safe nor consumer friendly.

- San Diego, CA, USA

May 152015

Prius

The headlights on the vehicle continue to fail, day in and day out. Now both headlights shut off and won't stay on for longer than a minute.

- Elizabeth, NJ, USA

Jun 012015

Prius

Head lamps randomly shut off. Sometimes it is one light and other times is it both lights. Very dangerous for my pregnant wife to be on the road and have the headlights shut off!

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 032015

Prius

One headlight started to flicker and then both headlights went out while driving. Tried to turn off and back on and went on for a few seconds and then they were done. Had to drive back in the dark. We were out of state and it happened during the 4th of July holiday weekend so we had to cut the trip short and get extra hotel nights as we could no longer travel at night.

- Westfield, IN, USA

May 012015

Prius

The left head light functions intermittently. It will turn off while driving smoothly, fast or slow. I can drive over bumps and uneven roads and have the light on the entire time, or sometimes it shuts off. My car has new bulbs and the connections have been checked for correct installation. After reading many forums, I've heard that the dealers will replace the computer, light bulb and light assembly for at least 2600$. consumers should not have to pay for functioning light assemblies. Please look ivy this problem.

- Manchester, NH, USA