2007 Toyota Prius steering problems

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 162016

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. While driving at an unknown speed, a warning chime was heard and the steering wheel seized to the right. As a result, the contact crashed into a sign. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The failure mileage was approximately 90,000.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

May 262015

Prius 4-cyl

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 5:04 pm while traveling at about 57 mph South on hi way 101 at about the mile post 255.5, my 2007 Toyota Prius suddenly and without any change in steering by me, veered to the right off the road and into the guardrail. There seemed to be no reaction to my frantic steering and braking in the attempt to return the car to the road. After the car hit the guardrail it traveled about 15 feet spun back out into the southbound lane and was hit on the rear right side by a car traveling in the southbound lane. This caused the car to be propelled across 2 northbound lanes of traffic and come to rest with rear of my car embedded into the far side guardrail. Miraculously no one was hurt. The police were called and my 61 year perfect driving record was ruined. My car was totaled by the insurance company...updated 08/27/15 update 9/15/15

- Bandon, OR, USA

May 312015

Prius

While driving uphill on a curved, shoulder-less road, my car spontaneously shifted into neutral, causing it to lose all power as well as power brake. I attempted to physically hold the gear shift in "drive", but this did not bring power back, nor did it change the light on the dash from "neutral". at first the car would shift into reverse, and I was able to back into a wider part of the road. It then stopped shifting into any gear. I ended up having the car towed home in neutral, with poor (non-power) braking. I've since done a google search and see that this is a recurrent problem with 200-something priuses, based on Consumer Affairs, Toyota nation, Prius online, and car problem zoo.

- Nevada City, CA, USA

Apr 232015

Prius 4-cyl

The steering on the car failed completely. There was a popping/snapping sound while turning the car, and afterward I could turn the steering wheel without any resistance (much less than usual) and the wheels did not turn at all. A little earlier in the drive I could feel the steering on the car feel a little off: I had to turn the wheel a little more to get the wheels to turn and something just felt loose. I'm incredibly grateful that the final 'snap' occurred while in the parking lot and not while on the highway/at higher speed. Apparently fox news ran an article about an incident that describes the same issue: fxn.ws/1ezmqpy.

- Mclean, VA, USA

Apr 082015

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. While driving at 20 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the steering wheel module coil needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 12V537000 (steering).the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Atascadero , CA, USA

May 012014

Prius 4-cyl

The buttons on the steering wheel began to stop working. One by one, each began to fail. I wasn't too worried since they're simply the climate and stereo controls, however, as I began researching all signs pointed to this being the "clock spring" assembly. This also controls the airbag and is a huge safety issue. I went to the dealer who confirmed and said this would cost $500 to repair. When I asked about the airbag they said they do not recommend that I drive the car because the airbag "might not work" anymore. After seeing a sufficient amount of posts here, I wanted to also add my feedback as it appears this is far more widespread than just an isolated incident. I have drive 4 other (non-Toyota) vehicles for well above 200,000 miles and never had this issue. My father (automotive mechanic for another car brand) said he's never had anyone come in with this issue before. Considering that toyta prides themselves as having safe vehicles, I would hope that they consider a recall on this life-threatening part failure.

- Alpha, IL, USA

May 012014

Prius 4-cyl

I had my car in for 110,000 mile service on April 25. They changed the oil, rotated the tires, installed a new air filter and said that I needed new front brakes and they cleaned and adjusted the back brakes. Yesterday after backing out of the garage the brake light warning light along with the ABS and vsc light came on briefly. On interstate 90 nearing downtown cleveland all of these lights came on again along with a noise. I called the Toyota dealer and talked to the service advisor and asked if it was safe to go to cleveland and back and he said if the brakes work, it probably just a switch and it would be ok to bring it in tomorrow. While I still had him on the phone, we lost all power to the vehicle and it decelerated down to 30 before we were able to reach an exit ramp and stop the car in the grass. I was informed today that the problem is a low volt battery that needs to be replaced for $299. At no time did a low battery light come on and I have not had trouble starting the car nor do I have dim lights. We were fortunate that we were not killed on interstate 90 without power, steering or brakes. I think this is definitely a safety issue that needs to be addressed.

- Chardon, OH, USA

Oct 032013

Prius 4-cyl

After the car has been parked for awhile, the dashboard was completely black. The car powered on, but there was no speedometer, no fuel display, and no odometer. The car will drive and gas engine and hybrid system works as usual, but there are no power steering, the turn signals do not work, and the wiper does not work. After driving for 5 to 15 minutes, the dash would light up and car drives like normal again and the problems mentioned go away. Based on internet research, this seems to a common problem. There are almost identical complaints on this site including NHTSA id number 10544698. Significant safety concerns exist due to the temporary lost of power steering, no turn signals, and no wiper during a rain.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Aug 132013

Prius 4-cyl

The traffic report said I lost control on a curve. I was knocked unconscious and do not know. Six days before the accident my husband took the car to Toyota to replace the headlamp for the third time. He said there was a recall on the steering part ?? and they were going to replace it. They gave us a recite that they had replaced the part with the part number. My husband said they only had it back there for less than 15 minutes. Six days later I had an accident stating 'I lost control'.

- Halls, TN, USA

Mar 062013

Prius 4-cyl

After short period of servicing a recall on steering extension shaft #C0T, some of steering wheel buttons stopped functioning due to damages to clock-spring cable. The dealership don't want to admit their technician fault failing to realign the steering wheel to center position. Many of Prius second generation hybrid owners been recalled have this issue after fixing the shaft. Is the damaged spring cables already were or due to lack of expertise?

- Livonia, MI, USA

Oct 062012

Prius 4-cyl

Loss of power steering assist that caused the vehicle to become difficult to keep in the proper lane of traffic. The power steering assist loss remained at all speeds including standing still at a traffic light. The Toyota dealer checked the steering and "reset" the steering computer and torque sensor which returned the steering to normal. Several weeks later while driving on the interstate the loss of power assist returned. The car was brought back to the Toyota dealer and the same procedure of "resetting" the steering computer was performed. The vehicle's steering went back to normal again ! the dealer stated "no" fault codes were ever present, and Toyota denied having an issue with the 2007 steering system. I believe the steering computer does not properly store the torque sensor zero point, thus should be replaced. The Toyota dealer disagreed and told me not to worry about it because the vehicle's steering was in perfect operating condition. My concern is the steering will lock up or do something terrible and cause a serious accident !

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Feb 092013

Prius 4-cyl

The steering failed on my Prius about 45 degrees into a right turn on Saturday, 9 Feb 2013. I heard a loud "pop" and my car lost steering completely and immediately. It almost caused an accident with the driver side of a car that was waiting at the stop sign to my right. There was no warning or "feeling" accompanying the steering loss (I.e. it didn't "grab" or "lock"). the steering wheel just suddenly no longer had any effect on the direction of the vehicle. The Toyota dealership who investigated found that the spiral cable sub-assembly needs to be replaced, which they claim is not related to any current recall. This doesn't feel like a "normal wear and tear" issue, because it could have caused a serious accident.

- Austin, TX, USA

Mar 272012

Prius

While driving the power steering went out suddenly causing a total loss of assisted steering. Which caused an abrupt change in steering ability almost causing me to hit a car while turning. The dealer determined it was the ECM and needed a new one at an astronomical cost of over $1000 to fix.

- The Colony, TX, USA

Sep 292011

Prius 4-cyl

2007 Prius touring was steering at low speed to park when the steering column shaft connection to the gearbox steering rack failed and the car steering wheel turned freely but no longer controlled the front wheels. Car could not be steered. Electrical warning lights indicating steering slide then vehicle powered down and could not be moved. Had vehicle towed to Toyota dealership. Tech informed me the steering rack was damaged along with the air bag cable coil assembly. Upon dissassembly tech found that the steering shaft connecting the column to the steering rack gear box had stripped and also needed replacement. Total cost of repairs. $2302.65. Out of warranty. 59,980 miles.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Apr 072011

Prius 4-cyl

Steering wheel and column of 2007 Prius shakes violently and uncontrollably, especially after engine is started for the first time of the day. Dealership found "C1554 power supply relay failure." After contacting Toyota about problem they learned it has been reported at least 10 times before. Toyota instructed dealership to replace electronic powersteering ECU and 50 amp fuse/block assembly. This problem seems to be a clear safety-related defect in the vehicle (2007 Prius), even after earlier Prius models had similar problem with power steering and were recalled.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Oct 012009

Prius 4-cyl

Steering wheel clunks as it is turned past certain positions. Overall, it has a loose feel. Toyota inspected it, said it is not normal, but failed to find a solution.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 312010

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle began abnormally sliding toward the left. The contact attempted to steer the vehicle toward the right but the vehicle would not change direction. The contact then attempted to brake but the vehicle would not stop. The contact was unable to maintain control of the vehicle which resulted in a single vehicle rollover crash. The air bags did not deploy. The police appeared on the scene and speculated that the front passenger side tire blew prior to the crash. A police report was available. An ambulance also appeared on the scene as the contact sustained minor injuries. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to an insurance company lot. The vehicle was not examined for the cause of failure. The failure and current mileage was 43,000.

- Danville, CA, USA

Dec 282007

Prius

I bought a new Prius 2007 in December 2006 from Liberty Toyota in New Jersey. The car is garaged, serviced regularly, and has never been in an accident. The steering wheel locks up sometimes. We complained about it to the dealership at every service, and we were told that they were unable to get an error code, and hence could not find the problem and correct it. Unless Toyota acknowledges the problem, and codes the system for such errors, of course the dealership will not get a code. I also pointed out to the dealership that we knew someone who had an accident because her steering in her Prius 2006 locked-up and that the 2006 Prius had been recalled for faulty air bags (recall id from NHTSA: 06V096000) and electric steering power assist system (recall id from NHTSA: 06V188000). We were then told that the 2007 model could not have the same problem as the 2006 model because Toyota would have fixed it. The recall on 2006 model steering was made on May 31, 2006. It was much too late for the 2007 models. They were already shipped out of Japan. Frustrated by the unresponsiveness of the dealership, I called Toyota's customer experience number and I was told by an automated message that I should call the dealership. If I wanted to call the dealership, I would not be calling Toyota. I then sent an email complaining, now over a year ago, through their website, but never heard from Toyota.. ever since the steering problems surfaced, we have stopped using the car except for very short runs so that the battery gets recharged. Now that Toyota flagship model, the corolla, has steering problems, I am truly worried. Toyota has been dismissive and non responsive so far. This needs to be addressed before any more lives are lost. Thank you for your help.

- Moorestown, NJ, USA

Feb 082010

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius. At highway speeds the car pulls or starts to swerve to the right or left on its own, and I have to constantly be alert to pull it back into the center of the lane. I read that the corolla has reports about this problem, which prompted me to report it. I have not discussed it with the dealer. The car has low mileage - about 16,000 miles.

- Kensington, MD, USA

May 132009

Prius

Toyota Prius loss of electical power, loss of steering resulting in crash in May 2009 while driving in a residental neighborhood at low speeds, Prius lost all power resulting in loss of steering and loss of brakes resulting in crash into a high curb. I had Prius towed to Toyota dealership and filed complaint with dealership as well as with main California complaint center. They said that it would take them 4 months to investigate complaint. They recommended my storing car at dealership for four months if I wanted an investigation. They would not investigate otherwise. They told me there was no cause for concern and that the power loss must of resulted after the crash. They said that Toyota had no safety complaints about power loss or steering or brake loss. I went on line and found same year model recall in australia. They told me the products were dissimilar and not a cause for concern. I disagreed. My routine mechanic at merchants tire and auto could find nothing wrong. I repaired the structural damage and sold the car since Toyota assured me there was nothing wrong. Toyota corporation's methodology of investigation appears to be designed to stifle any meaningful determination of baseline safety fault. The requirement to store a car for months at owners expense and for driver to have no access for transportation would appear to discourage any meaningful investigation of safety concern. Given the current finding of brake and other safety defects in Toyota products, I am concerned that the power loss may have been under-reported because of their unethical business practices. I report it to help you determine if there is a pattern of power loss, loss of steering and loss of braking in the Prius.

- Bethesda , MD, USA