2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 30 of 37)

Nov 152009

Prius

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. While the contact was driving 30mph traveling over a rough terrain he attempted to brake and noticed that the vehicle suddenly surged forward before the brakes would activate. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealership and there were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 1500.

- Washington, DC, USA

Dec 152009

Prius

Driving 35mph on straight road and ran over some unseen potholes. Applied brakes and they did not function as expected. Much less braking power than normal.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Jan 032010

Prius

2010 Prius brake surge when hitting bump in road when brake is engage.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Nov 152009

Prius

I have had the following occur several times since I purchased the vehicle in July 2009: When braking on snow or ice or braking when passing over a bump or pothole the brakes will feel as if they are slipping and the car will accelerate for a fraction of a second. It's as if the ABS is releasing the brakes too long before reengaging them, resulting in the car to stop decelerating momentarily.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Jan 122010

Prius

2010 Toyota Prius seems to accelerate when I apply brakes to slow down and car goes into shallow pothole. This event is repeatable and happens every time I slow down at a particular stop sign with a pothole in front of it. Fortunately there has never been a car in front of me and I now know to avoid this spot. Car behaves normally once it has cleared the pothole. This occurs at slow speeds ( 20mph down to 0 ) has not happened anywhere else, but happens everytime at this location.

- Alexandria , VA, USA

Sep 012009

Prius

The brakes seem to release if they are being applied while driving over a rough surface - speed bump, potholes, etc. This has occurred about 10-15 times since buying the vehicle in August 2009.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 102009

Prius

I purchased a new Toyota Prius 2010 in December 2009. Almost immediately I noticed braking was 'odd' and I felt like when I would brake sometimes, the car jolted forward before stopping. After some self monitoring, I realized this particularly happened when crossing railroad tracks near my home en route to work. I have not had an accident but instead, have tried to brake more slowly and in general this has helped. However, a few times in traffic I have had to stop abruptly and about half the time it does the same thing, causing me to fully slam on the brakes. In the past I have had several Toyota cars and rarely needed the full force of my anti-lock brakes in such situations. I have reported this problem to the dealer and he requested I wait until the 'break-in' period was over before making any decisions. That break-in period was defined as 5000 miles and I am now at about 4800, and the problem has not changed. When I reported it to the dealer, I had about 3000 miles on the car, and it was about one month after purchase (early January). At the time, the brakes were checked and no problem was identified. Today I contacted the dealer about turning the vehicle back in since I am concerned and not happy with the vehicle's performance.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 032010

Prius

My 2010 Prius iv purchased in June, 2010 has on several occasions when I brake at slow speeds and I cross over a bump in the road the car momentary surges forward.

- Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

Dec 172009

Prius

I purchased a 2010 Toyota Prius V in November 2009. Shortly afterwards my wife experienced the problem with the brakes. She went to apply the brakes but the car just would not slow down. She practically had to stand to apply enough pressure to bring the car to a stop. We went back to the dealer twice, but could not find anything wrong.

- Flushing, NY, USA

Nov 102009

Prius

Vehicle surges forward when braking over road surface that is not smooth. Symptom makes safely judging stopping distance very difficult, and in our opinion, increases likelihood of an accident. Toyota dealer claimed they could not replicate issue and that vehicle's computer did not report/record any problems. We can replicate issue over same bump everyday.

- Rocky River, OH, USA

Jan 272009

Prius

2010 Toyota Prius III, purchased December 2009 from dch brunswick Toyota, North brunswick, NJ 08902 I experienced atleast 3 different incidents of the following, sometimes at the same spot on a road - when braking, if a pothole or bump in the road is hit, the car seemingly jerks forward/accelerates for a split second.

- North Brunswick, NJ, USA

Jan 102010

Prius

The car has hyper-sensitive brakes whenever I am backing up from a parked spot (e.g. backing up from a parking space at a store.) when backing out of a space (using just idle speed and tapping lightly on the brakes to control the speed) tapping lightly results in the car brakes forcefully engaging and slamming the car to a stop. This happens only after the car has been warmed up; parked (like going to the store to shop) and then you re-enter it to leave. The hyper sensitive breaks continue for a short period of time while I am positioning the car to get out of a parking space and onto the road. After the first occurrence of the forceful braking, putting the car in park, pumping on the brakes several times usually corrects the problem. Since it happens randomly, you never know when it will occur. Toyota says there is nothing wrong with the brakes when I brought it to their attention. They said it is common with priuses. This is not true. I own a 2007 Prius and never had this problem. This problem has been mentioned several times by other 2010 Prius owners on the priuschat.com website.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Prius

From the first days with this vehicle we have had an intermittent issue with the brakes. So far, this issue only occurs at very slow speeds, such as when backing out of the garage or when backing out of parking spaces. On occasion, we have experienced this problem in the forward direction when stopping in the slow conditions of a parking lot. Following is a description of the braking action: 1. I start the car (power button with foot on the brake). 2. I place the shift lever in reverse or drive with foot on the brake. 3. I release the brake pedal. 4. the car eases backward (or forward, as the case may be). 5. I apply the brake, either to shift into drive or to check for traffic before continuing. 6. several times per week the brakes lock the instant my foot touches the brake pedal. 7. when this problem occurs, the locking action will repeat each time I release the brake, ease backward or forward, and brake again. 8. the brake locking is so instantaneous that passengers' heads jerk and they look surprised. 9. the braking action is more like that of flipping an electrical switch than of pressing a brake pedal. 10. from the beginning, I have tried to determine if a certain sequence of actions triggers the locking. I cannot come up with anything. So far, the only constant is that this locking happens with the first stops after starting the car. I have not experienced it with subsequent stops. However, heaven help us if this were to occur at higher speeds! at the 5000 mile service, I asked about this issue. The service rep said that some Prius owners had mentioned that their brakes "grabbed" once in a while. The rep said that it could be a "wet brake" issue.

- Corvallis, OR, USA

Prius

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. The contact stated her vehicle surges when she goes over a pothole and hit her brakes. This has been happening since she purchase her vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the technician test drove the vehicle with her but the failure did not occur again. The failure mileage was 4,000.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Dec 292009

Prius

I bought Toyota Prius 2010 in early December 2009 and have experienced at least five times brake problem. I basically can't make my car stop effectively when I hit the brake. It is worse when you drive fast or in a snowy or icy days. Now I have to slow down way before the stop sign so I can avoid the brake problem, and I wouldn't let anyone else to drive the car for the fear of car accident.

- Middleton, MA, USA

Jun 132009

Prius

The contact has a 2010 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the vehicle feels as if the brakes release if he hits a bump while pressing the brakes. The contact stated that it felt like the vehicle surged forward.the contact stated that it only happens when the vehicle hits a bump or pothole. The failure mileage was 100. The current mileage was 5000.

- Cedarburg, WI, USA

Jan 252010

Prius

Prius 2010. Intermittently lose braking ability. Especially when road is wet and uneven. When coming to a stop light and traveling relatively slowly, if the vehicle goes over uneven pavement (pothole or just "rubbly"), it's as if the ABS gets confused and very temporarily gives up. This is in city driving. Starting from under 20 mph. Trying to stop at a light and with cars in front of me. I have driven the exact same route in other cars and not had the same problem. (prior vehicle was BMW 528I (model year 2000). This is a route I drive daily (between dropping my daughter at school and going to work.) I have observed the problem multiple times.

- San Mateo, CA, USA

Jan 152010

Prius

My 2010 Prius brakes briefly stop working when I'm braking while driving over a bump or pothole. I have not been in an accident however this can lead to an accident in the future. This happens periodically and can be recreated.

- Devon, PA, USA

Feb 022010

Prius

My 2010 Prius lurches over bumps. The dealership said I was the only one with this problem and found nothing wrong on two visits. I read that I am not the only one with this problem, so I want to issue a complaint and ask what I should do now.

- Beverly Hills, CA, USA

Prius

My 2010 Toyota Prius seems to loose braking on or over bumps. It seems to not want to stop for a few seconds after hitting a bump in the road. I have to remove my foot from the brakes and re apply inorder to regain breaking. This happens almost every time when simultaneously applying the brakes and going over a bump/pothole in the road.

- Davie, FL, USA