CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.

In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).

Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.

1.6

2001 Toyota RAV4 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota RAV4:

2001 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Sep 032013

RAV4

I am newly employed with the post office so I need my car. I was out driving my route when all of a sudden it was lagging a little when I went to take off. Then when I was able to get some speed between boxes it was like it slipped into neutral and then jerked really hard and kicked into gear, I took it to a mechanic and also the dealership. After I took it to the mechanic I found out that there was a bulletin put out in 2010 about the same exact issue, so I called the dealership and made an appointment. They told me the same thing the mechanic did and that my car wasn't covered under the bulletin because it was outside the 10 year or 150,000 mile range. I cannot afford to have to pay this out of pocket and I need my car. The estimate that I got was $1536 from Toyota and then there is the possibility that I might have to have the transmission changed too. This is crazy especially seeing as Toyota knows about the issue and notified some people but not all Rav4 owners. I am out there driving my car and could pull out at the wrong time and get hit because of the fact that there is no pick up and go in this car anymore. I love my car and need my car.

- Cameron, NC, USA

Jul 192013

RAV4 4-cyl

ECM/transmission failure at 129000 miles. Cant say much more than has already been said by so many others. Out of pocket expense of about $3500. In the shop now but as I read these I'm wondering if I should be fixing it as it seems to reoccur. No help from Toyota and they wanted over $5000 to fix it. Received no notification from Toyota. Missed the warranty by 9000 miles. Seems if you own one its just a matter of time and it will happen....stand behind your product Toyota!!!!!

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jul 292013

RAV4 4-cyl

ECM/transmission failure...called Toyota..refused help..owned vehicle over 10 years...known defect that Toyota has not addressed properly...need to replace ECM and transmission out of pocket because of their defective production.

- N Huntngdn, PA, USA

May 292013

RAV4 4-cyl

I have a 2001 Rav4 that in 2010 had a problem with the gear and the dealer change the reman transaxle assembly but know I can't drive the car because the car need a new transmission and some other part and the dealer would not fix it when the know that the car had all these problem when I bough the car for 28,000 dollars they were happy if these is the way that Toyota get rich stealing from people that believe that they are buying a good product.

- Danbury, CT, USA

Feb 202013

RAV4

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that the vehicle shifted very hard and jerked. The contact also stated that the vehicle accelerated very slowly. In addition, the contact mentioned that the failure also occurred when accelerating from a complete stop. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and it was confirmed that there was an internal failure and that the transmission and transmission control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 82,045.

- Newton, NJ, USA

Dec 062012

RAV4 4-cyl

Harsh vehicle jerking with bad automatic shifting/acceleration. Used emergency lights and narrowly avoided accident with badly performing vehicle. Problem is diagnosed as failed ECM. Manufacturer is aware of this issue (Toyota document T-sb-0156-10) but did not inform owners. ECM failure in my car caused a very dangerous driving situation. This could have been easily avoided by pro-actively replacing the factory installed ECM if I had been given the T-sb-0156-10 information. I was driving with my 2 and 4 year old daughters at the time. This part failure is a recurring problem for this car. Please have Toyota notify owners before this happens to them. Thanks.

- Morrisville, NC, USA

Oct 082012

RAV4 4-cyl

October 11, 2012. On or about October 8 2012 I began having hesitation and jumping into gear as I am driving my 2001 Rav4. This happens mainly when accelerating from a stop sign/light. I am aware there has been a recall on many 2001 Rav4 vehicles. I bought my Rav4 from carmax in North attleboro mass on April 19 2012. So, I have not even had my vehicle for 5 months yet. On Thursday October 11 2012 I took my Rav4 back to carmax in attleboro with my complaint--I will be leaving the vehicle with them on Friday October 12 2012 so they can diagnose the transmission and the tcm (the transmission module which has had the recall). If it is found that my Rav4 is one of many under this recall, I will hope that Toyota will honor its' commitment and fix my rav. I do hope that lodging this complaint with you will help me in this plight, as I do not have the money to fix this problem and nor should I have to as to the above, and due to the fact that is was a recall with Toyota. Thank you.

- Woonsocket, RI, USA

Aug 132012

RAV4

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that the transmission was exhibiting behaviors of a manual transmission when it was an automatic. The engine rpms would increase excessively before shifting and then the transmission would fail. The contact took the vehicle to a mechanic and was told that the engine control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 200,000.

- Knoxville, AR, USA

Jun 012012

RAV4 4-cyl

Apparently there was a tsb issued on this and a customer care ticket issued and a recall but being as my car is 11 years old and 137,000 it falls outside of the parameters Toyota set of 10 years or 150,000 miles Toyota will not fix this problem that will cost upwards of $4000!! I cannot understand how a problem that they acknowledge will happen has happened and they don't want to fix it. I don't know what else to do.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Feb 042012

RAV4 4-cyl

When attempting to accelerate from a stop, the car stalls. Automatic transmission does not hold on to a gear and when a gear is finally engaged, the car jerks violently forward. This is extremely frightening; I thought I was going to be hit because I stall in dangerous situations. Trying to enter a fast paced road is highly risking the chance of being read ended, and at times I would attempt to accelerate from a stop light only to crawl into the intersection and sit in horror. Sometimes higher gear would judder the car. Apparently Toyota knows the ECM is faulty and damages the transmission, but the actions they took on this matter were too late and barely caring. I was not notified of the danger. I had to come into the dealership to learn and by then my car is already out of warranty and my car is in no working order. No proper steps were taken to warn drivers of this hazard. The warranty they provide is incapable and restrictive of addressing the faulty ECM that will inevitably put unwary drivers in danger. I am still trying to learn more about this matter but Toyota representatives insist I pay out of pocket for a defect that would have been solved by a recall years ago.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 092011

RAV4 4-cyl

The transmission suddenly began slipping and jerking when accelerating from a stop or while in low gear and shifting from a low speed. I became aware of the ECM problem known to occur in my make and model of Toyota upon calling the dealership; however, I am being told that the warranty only covers ten years from the date of purchase (I purchased my car 11 years ago) despite the fact it is known that the ECM, the computer that controls the transmission, is defective and causes transmission problems. This is a dangerous problem as the car will not accelerate and the transmission slips. It is difficult to understand how Toyota cannot ethically cover this knowing it is defective and is probable to cause owners problems in the future, regardless if it's 8, 10, or 12 years down the line.

- Bakersfield , CA, USA

Dec 092011

- Bakersfield , CA, USA

Dec 012011

RAV4 4-cyl

My vehicle was experiencing harsh shifting and hard engagement. I took it to the dealer today and was told the ECM needed to be replaced. I did some internet research and discovered Toyota received thousands of complaints regarding this issue as far back as 2006 in the 2001-2003 models. They extended the warranty to 10 years and 150, 000 miles. However, my vehicle is 6 months beyond the date (only 103,000 miles). I contacted Toyota and they will not pay for any repairs. In addition, I discovered that owners had issues with the replaced emc unit within 2 years-causing transmission failure or repeated ECM failure. I questioned Toyota as to why this was not a recall issue. They couldn't tell me. If it had been a recall issue, Toyota would be responsible for the repair and not me. In addition, how do I know that once I have my car repaired today, that I won't have the same issue or worse in 2 years--like many other customers? Toyota should be required to make this a recall issue--especially since there are thousands of people with this issue.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Oct 212011

RAV4 4-cyl

Failed to speed up when I was merging into traffic.

- Cheyenne, WY, USA

Oct 172011

RAV4

Transmission slippage/failure did not allow me to accelerate to highway speeds on an on-ramp.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 282011

RAV4 4-cyl

Automatic transmission sometimes hesitates when shifting and sometimes starts in 3rd gear instead of 1st. Check engine light came on a week ago, similar to when shifting problems began.

- Olympia, WA, USA

Jun 052011

RAV4 4-cyl

Started having problems with my 2001 Toyota Rav4. It seems to happen mostly after I have come to complete stop and try to accelerate. It will start to move and then automatic transmission will not shift and it stops accelerating. I have almost been hit from behind several times. Also check engine light has been on for two years. Dealership told me it was due to needing new catalytic converter, which I found out later had already been replaced once in 2005. After searching for info online I found out about safety recall for the engine control module (ECM), this has been replaced, and engine light is now off, but transmission is bad. And Toyota is not taking any responsibility for ruined transmission.

- Nebraska, NE, USA

Feb 262011

RAV4

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota rav 4. the contact stated that the vehicle would not shift gears while driving. Once she was able to get the vehicle to shift, the vehicle began jerking abnormally. The vehicle was taken to a local repair shop where the failure was diagnosed as an electrical failure within the computer. The manufacturer was contacted but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 158,000.

- Duarte, CA, USA

Jun 202010

RAV4

ECM failed on my 2001 Rav4 and Toyota refused to pay for repairs. When it failed it put me in an extremely dangerous situation. This was after a recall on the ECM. So I had already brought my car into the dealer and had the ECM reprogrammed. If I had died in an accident would anyone have checked the ECM to see it was not working? I definitely could have been killed and people should not be on the road driving these cars that could at any minute start acting erratically.

- Santa Cruz, CA, USA

May 242010

RAV4

Suddenly, while merging onto the highway, my Toyota Rav4 (2001) seemed to go into neutral gear and then harshly shift into 2nd then 3rd gear with a lurch. Now, whenever I accelerate after a stop, the same thing happens. I have been told my ECM and possibly transmission needs replacement.

- Duxbury, MA, USA